Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ah the joys of being cut off by a Korean in the Western etc
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jondo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:02 am    Post subject: Ah the joys of being cut off by a Korean in the Western etc Reply with quote

I’m a Korean American male living in Seoul. Even I find it really hard sometimes. People cutting me off, barging into me and blatantly staring for a long time even after I’ve looked back at them. Today, I went to the local barber. I saw 3 customers inside and I knew I’d get stared at even though I am Korean, so I made it a point to slowly announce my presence in order to give the customers enough time to stare at me come in and then get back to whatever they were doing. So I opened the door slowly and walked in while the whole time I looked at the barber lady who knows me well. Ie. I was looking away from the customers. But when I entered and spoke to the lady barber one guy my age who was waiting for his haircut turned his head to stare at me. I knew he was staring so I gave him enough time to turn away and then walked in his direction to sit down in the waiting area where he was sitting. But when I got there he was still staring at me. So I returned his stare, but he kept staring at me. I felt uncomfortable and so I averted my gaze. I was talking to the lady barber so I did not want to look at the rude guy and not look at the lady barber who I was speaking with. I still do not know the reason why he stared at me for so long. Was he challenging or disrespecting me? I do not think he was curious, since I am Korean and was speaking fluent Korean with the lady barber. I also visited Canada a few weeks ago. Some young Korean woman at a train station food court was walking towards me but about 3 meters right of me. Suddenly she walked diagonally towards me with her food tray and blatantly cut me off so that I had to immediately stop in order to avoid bumping into her. I was dragging along my big suitcase. She then promptly sat down next to her husband and started eating. I was so angry, that I walked towards their table and in front of the husband I calmly and in a low tone told her in English that she was rude and needed to learn some manners. She looked down at her food and said nothing. I walked away thinking that was that, but her husband chased after me and loudly demanded in a most arrogant tone where I was from. As he stormed after me he yelled "HEY HEY, where are you from?! Where are you From?! I am from Korea! Where are you from?!" He got right in front of me and said his wife had not seen me, which is a total lie because she clearly had because she had all the time in the world to see me, before she cut me off. And besides, he was sitting at his table and so had not seen what was going on. He then once again yelled in a loud and arrogant commanding voice demanding to know where I was from. I told him I was from New York and he laughed. He then made physically intimidating gestures by pretending to punch me with his arm. He then demanded to know if I wanted to fight him. I was so embarrassed because we were in a very quiet Western food court with civilized people quietly shopping and eating. So I told him in an even toned yet disgusted voice that I did not want to talk to him, let alone look at him, cos he was a barbarian. He then told me I was a barbarian. I made some monkey grunting noises to imitate his pretending to punch me with his arm. He then laughed and walked away and I walked out of the food court without buying anything, because I was so disgusted. About 10 minutes later I went back, because I was really hungry as I was 2 hours late for lunch and my train was leaving in 30 minutes. Normally, when people have had an altercation and then walked away, they avoid looking at each other when they see each other again, but when I walked back into the food court again, the rude woman/wife looked up at me from her table and stared at me with a smirk as if to challenge me. She kept her gaze and I was so aggravated that I told her she was an ugly barbarian and walked by her to buy some food. After I got what I needed and tried to walk out she stared at me again. I was so fed up by her that I took a photo of her with my phone. At this, her husband got up from his table and immediately chased after me and demanded that I delete it. His wife then came up to us and told him to call the police. She looked at him and said in English “Mmmm police.” I found this really ridiculous and self righteous, because she had started the whole thing and then had tried to escalate it and her husband had indeed escalated it and was physically intimidating me.
I walked away towards my train platform and he chased after me the whole time. He then got the attention of two train officials and lied that I had started the whole thing and conveniently left out the fact that his wife had cut me off and that he had physically intimidated me with his punching motion etc. The two train officials told him they weren’t the police and could not help him. I thanked them and walked away. The husband kept following me and demanded that I delete the photo. So I told him in a low angry tone that if he touched me I’d kill him. At this he gave a nervous laugh and finally walked away. I get barged into, cut off and stared at all the time in Korea and it bothers me, but to have this sort of nonsense happen in Europe when I am on holiday mode and enjoying my peace and quiet time away from Korea was like a really cruel joke. Now I am back and every morning I leave my house, I wonder which Korean will be rude to me that day. As I mentioned earlier, today at the barber shop the Korean guy who constantly and blatantly stared at me and refused to avert his gaze even after I returned his stare is a perfect example of the sort of thing that I wish did not happen.
CentralCali

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you know what a paragraph is?
caniff

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best tourism promotional slogan:

"Korea: Please Understand."
Jondo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CentralCali wrote:
Do you know what a paragraph is?

How predictable. I knew there would be at least one worthless nunce who can't do anything, but resort to cheap shots. No class. Were you always criticized as a child because you were stupid? It seems criticizing others out of hand comes so naturally to you. You've got nothing better to contribute. Says a lot about you as a social being. What do you think this is A dissertation? Well I doubt you do, because if you did then you would be more relaxed instead of attacking me we with the cheapest shot you have in your arsenal. Bloody loser.
liveinkorea316

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bro I think I can help you. What you described does happen on a daily basis here and I've been here 5 years and used to approach things like you and got frustrated aswell.

In Korea you need to be more aggressive. Push first - apologise later. In the case of the kid in the barber shop you handled it in silence buy you could have said "Hey Bro what are u lookin at?" in an angry voice. With the lady... Drop your shoulder. And bang into her. You'll get much more satisfaction including with her a$$hole husband. You get to show her the actual result of her actions.

In reality, you will find 99% of Koreans will pull away at the last minute. The ones that don't will meet your shoulder and it wasn't your fault. A short apology and you have no frustration.
Jondo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

liveinkorea316 wrote:
Bro I think I can help you. What you described does happen on a daily basis here and I've been here 5 years and used to approach things like you and got frustrated aswell.

In Korea you need to be more aggressive. Push first - apologise later. In the case of the kid in the barber shop you handled it in silence buy you could have said "Hey Bro what are u lookin at?" in an angry voice. With the lady... Drop your shoulder. And bang into her. You'll get much more satisfaction including with her a$$hole husband. You get to show her the actual result of her actions.

In reality, you will find 99% of Koreans will pull away at the last minute. The ones that don't will meet your shoulder and it wasn't your fault. A short apology and you have no frustration.

Hey thanks for your constructive and helpful reply and advice. I appreciate it. But a quick question. In the case of the guy at the barber shop, if I had asked him what he was looking at in an angry voice, wouldn't a guy who is rude enough or brazen enough to keep staring at me also be prone to getting combative or at least argumentative if I had called him on it so strongly? I kept my silence exactly because I thought he might get all insolent like the husband of the rude woman who cut me off in Canada. I was trying to avoid all sorts of ugliness that would really ruin my day.
Regarding the Korean woman in Canada who cut me off. You are absolutely right. I should have simply ploughed into her. I wish I had. As you said, I would have not had all this frustration.
Thanks!
Keeper

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read your post and after doing so have to say that you need to take a break from this place. I urge you to get out of Korea until your mental state of mind is a bit stronger. Telling someone that you will kill them is plain wrong. People stare at other people all the time so get over it. People will meet your aggression with a call to the cops and it's just a matter of time before you would get into trouble. You are the guest, not the other way around. If you don't like it then it's time to go home.
Jondo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keeper wrote:
I read your post and after doing so have to say that you need to take a break from this place. I urge you to get out of Korea until your mental state of mind is a bit stronger. Telling someone that you will kill them is plain wrong. People stare at other people all the time so get over it. People will meet your aggression with a call to the cops and it's just a matter of time before you would get into trouble. You are the guest, not the other way around. If you don't like it then it's time to go home.

You are right. I need to get out before I get into trouble. I am Korean by heritage, so I have tried to learn and embrace Koreans, but it has not been easy. But as for your comment that people stare at people all the time, that doesn't happen in the part of the US where I am from. And people here may stare all the time, but blatantly for as long as this guy did to me even after I returned his stare? I don't think so. But maybe I am wrong and they do stuff like that all the time. Who knows. I don't know.
And by the way, I did not tell the guy who stared at me that I'd kill him. I said nothing to him. If you had carefully read what I had written, I said this to the Korean husband who physically threatened and intimidated me by pretending to hit me with his fist. I think I was justified in verbally attacking rather than physically retaliating.
CentralCali

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keeper wrote:

You don't actually believe the trolling nonsense, do you?
sligo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Ah the joys of being cut off by a Korean in the Western Reply with quote

Jondo wrote:
.... I also visited Canada a few weeks ago. Some young Korean woman at a train station food court was walking ...
but to have this sort of nonsense happen in Europe when I am on holiday mode and enjoying my peace and quiet time away from Korea was like a really cruel joke. .

Which part of Europe is Canada in?
goat

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Ah the joys of being cut off by a Korean in the Western Reply with quote

sligo wrote:
Jondo wrote:
.... I also visited Canada a few weeks ago. Some young Korean woman at a train station food court was walking ...
but to have this sort of nonsense happen in Europe when I am on holiday mode and enjoying my peace and quiet time away from Korea was like a really cruel joke. .

Which part of Europe is Canada in?

Canada isn't in Europe. It's located right above America (USA).

Laughing
goat

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And to the right of America (Alaska).

Laughing
Underwaterbob

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave's really has gone downhill. Spliff regularly trolled so much better with just one obnoxiously unhelpful sentence. Now we get massively unreadable blobs of text.
Keeper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CentralCali wrote:
You don't actually believe the trolling nonsense, do you?

I believe that Korea can put you in that state of mind. Definitely.
Stain

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Underwaterbob wrote:
Dave's really has gone downhill. Spliff regularly trolled so much better with just one obnoxiously unhelpful sentence. Now we get massively unreadable blobs of text.

This isn't your grandfather's trolling. This is the new age, where trolling has to keep up with the mass of the modern soap box.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: