Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rob Ford is dead

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
On the other hand

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:49 am    Post subject: Rob Ford is dead Reply with quote

Quote:
Rob Ford, the former Toronto mayor who polarized voters with his brash, uncompromising political style and became an international celebrity for his drug and alcohol use while in office, has died. He was 46.

My own assessment of the guy was that, once you stripped away the buffoonery, the drug abuse, the cavorting with criminals, and the foul mouthed tirades, his political agenda wasn't that much different than any other right-of-centre politician in the austerity era. I think a lot of my fellow left-wingers got caught up in demonizing him for things that, while certainly embarrassing to his city, probably weren't all that consequential in the long term.

And, for all the denunciations of Ford as an anti-immigration, white supremacist, his following in Toronto immigrant communities(including among non-whites) was pretty substantial. Apparently, they liked him because he took good care of their day-to-day needs.

All that said, I don't think he was ever truly honest about his personal problems. His original staements were outright lies, and when he finally did come clean, he tried to make it sound as if he had never issued any denials in the first place. And, of course, after his supposed rehab, he claimed to be drug-free when the evidence later showed that he clearly had not been.

link
The Cosmic Hum

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob Ford

Donald Trump
trueblue

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Cosmic Hum wrote:
Rob Ford

Donald Trump

How so?
The Cosmic Hum

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trueblue wrote:
The Cosmic Hum wrote:
Rob Ford

Donald Trump

How so?

Wealthy, entitlement kid, given family business to run, turns politician, and makes an ass of himself, repeatedly.
There are other similarities - shady business deals, the obvious dishonesty, the lack of class, the limited and repeated speech patterns...etc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: