Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

do korean citizens get dole?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
greyhound

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:08 pm    Post subject: do korean citizens get dole? Reply with quote

I was talking to a korean last night and she asked me what dole was. I told her and she said she doesn't get it and she is not working at present. so isn't there any dole in Korea? What do the unemployed do to get money if they don't have a job?
BigBuds

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the dole does exist in Korea but very few people get it as it is considered shameful.
greyhound

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shameful or not, how does one survive if one does not have a job? You have to apply for the dole then don't you. You gotta feed your kids too.
CentralCali

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korea does have unemployment insurance, along with other government financial assistance programs. The UI is something to watch out for if you do work in Korea on an E-2 visa, as some dishonest hagweon owners will deduct the UI percentage from your pay. E2 holders are not eligible for UI, so of course you do not pay into that program. Nor do the dishonest owners deposit the money they deducted into said program.

You're looking at the issue of financial assistance through the lens of your western European upbringing and education. There are a number of things considered shameful in Korea that are no longer considered so in our home countries. Government assistance as mentioned is one; mental health treatment is another.
drcrazy

Location: Pusan. Yes, that's right. Pusan NOT Busan. I ain't never been to no place called Busan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:27 pm Post subject: Opening a business
What visa do you need to have in Korea before you can open a business? Can you open one up on a E2 visa? What types of visas are there for doing business in Korea? Are you limited to doing English or can you do any business you want? In case I can't get an E2 visa, I'd like to know as I'd like to do business in Asia either teaching English or maybe something else.

Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:57 pm Post subject: immigration lawyers
how much do immigration lawyers cost in korea? I emailed a few lawyers but have had no reply. I would like to get a E2 visa but if they don't accept my diploma as equivalent to a bachelor's degree I'd like to challenge this in court as it wouldn't be fair not to accept it especially as I sent a university letter stating it is equivalent to a bachelor's.

And, he is a certified teacher.

And he taught in Japan 20 years ago.

Now this post.

You really need to do some posts in the “Chicken Thread”.

PS: Dole pineapples are very popular.
trueblue

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drcrazy wrote:
Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:27 pm Post subject: Opening a business
What visa do you need to have in Korea before you can open a business? Can you open one up on a E2 visa? What types of visas are there for doing business in Korea? Are you limited to doing English or can you do any business you want? In case I can't get an E2 visa, I'd like to know as I'd like to do business in Asia either teaching English or maybe something else.

Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:57 pm Post subject: immigration lawyers
how much do immigration lawyers cost in korea? I emailed a few lawyers but have had no reply. I would like to get a E2 visa but if they don't accept my diploma as equivalent to a bachelor's degree I'd like to challenge this in court as it wouldn't be fair not to accept it especially as I sent a university letter stating it is equivalent to a bachelor's.

And, he is a certified teacher.

And he taught in Japan 20 years ago.

Now this post.

You really need to do some posts in the “Chicken Thread”.

PS: Dole pineapples are very popular.

He's making the rounds on Facebook, to.
greyhound

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like there's some jealous people on here who can only get a standard E2 visa job working 9 till 5. If you don't know about Korean business visas, why repost the thread? if you can't afford to get a Korean business visa, why don't you just go and teach your classes instead. Laughing
jvalmer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigBuds wrote:
Yes, the dole does exist in Korea but very few people get it as it is considered shameful.

It seems less shameful here than where I'm from.

Almost everytime a Korean teacher, well any Asian from Asia, finds out I'm from Canada, the first thing out of their mouth is how amazing they think Canada's welfare system is. And I'm like thinking, I don't want you immigrating to my country.
greyhound

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How long can you get dole for then in Canada? is it indefinitely or is there a time limitlike in europe? In the UK it's indefinite if you're eligible but you do have to keep proving you're looking for work. Very Happy
CentralCali

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

greyhound wrote:
Seems like there's some jealous people on here who can only get a standard E2 visa job working 9 till 5. If you don't know about Korean business visas, why repost the thread? if you can't afford to get a Korean business visa, why don't you just go and teach your classes instead. Laughing

It's called obeying the law. If you are on an E-2 visa, doing anything else outside the scope of your visa is illegal. You will be subject to detention, fine, and deportation.
drcrazy

Location: Pusan. Yes, that's right. Pusan NOT Busan. I ain't never been to no place called Busan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

greyhound wrote:

I have an E-1 Visa, and I teach from 1PM to 5PM (4 hours a day), 4 days a week. 12 hours a week= full time, so when I have 16, 4 hours are overtime. But often I only have 12 hours a week. And now my 2 month summer vacation starts because grades have been posted.

As for dole, I guess it must be British English. You must be fromtheuk Laughing
jvalmer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

greyhound wrote:
How long can you get dole for then in Canada? is it indefinitely or is there a time limitlike in europe? In the UK it's indefinite if you're eligible but you do have to keep proving you're looking for work. Very Happy

Never been on it, but I think it's like 12 months, and you have to prove your looking for work.
greyhound

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drcrazy wrote:
greyhound wrote:

I have an E-1 Visa, and I teach from 1PM to 5PM (4 hours a day), 4 days a week. 12 hours a week= full time, so when I have 16, 4 hours are overtime. But often I only have 12 hours a week. And now my 2 month summer vacation starts because grades have been posted.

And they pay you how much for 12 hours a week? do you have a masters or something? What do you teach? what's different teaching university english?

Yes, from the UK. Very Happy
drcrazy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

greyhound wrote:
drcrazy wrote:
greyhound wrote:

And they pay you how much for 12 hours a week? do you have a masters or something? What do you teach? what's different teaching university english?

I have a PhD, and I am an Associate Professor. The pay (for base hours, i.e., 12 credit hours per semester) is 68,000,000 (a year), plus studio apartment. I mostly teach graduate courses in FL Education and Composition).

And, the Laughing 's made it extra easy to "solve the mystery"
I think that was the last clue needed by tophatcat.
drcrazy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drcrazy wrote:
greyhound wrote:
drcrazy wrote:
greyhound wrote:

I have a PhD, and I am an Associate Professor. The pay (for base hours, i.e., 12 credit hours per semester) is 68,000,000 (a year), plus studio apartment. I mostly teach graduate courses in FL Education and Composition).

And, the Laughing 's made it extra easy to "solve the mystery"
I think that was the last clue needed by tophatcat.

I mean Very Happy , not Laughing .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: