Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

how many pins do plugs have in korea

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
greyhound

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:25 am    Post subject: how many pins do plugs have in korea Reply with quote

what type of plugs do they have in Korea? I will be taking my notebook and printer so will need to get the correct type of adaptor. Is it the same as a UK adaptor or different?
drcrazy

Location: Pusan. Yes, that's right. Pusan NOT Busan. I ain't never been to no place called Busan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:38 am    Post subject: Re: how many pins do plugs have in korea Reply with quote

greyhound wrote:
what type of plugs do they have in Korea? I will be taking my notebook and printer so will need to get the correct type of adaptor. Is it the same as a UK adaptor or different?

They are still the same as the last time you were in Korea.
CentralCali

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you ever heard of the Internet? There may be an answer somewhere there.
tophatcat

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:55 am    Post subject: Re: how many pins do plugs have in korea Reply with quote

greyhound wrote:

Why not pick up a printer in Korea? They are dirt cheap.
TorontoToronto

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.yottadeals.net/pics/pics01/adapter/AC-Adapter-for-Viewsonic-VA712-VA712B.jpg

Most laptops you can unplug the male end cord from the transformer box and then plug in a local male end cord.

Likewise a lot of printers have power cords that can unplug from the printer. Again, you could probably find a cord at a computer store in Korea.
greyhound

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I will get a local cord then and plug it into the transformer box. same for the printer I think.
TorontoToronto

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

greyhound wrote:
Ok I will get a local cord then and plug it into the transformer box. same for the printer I think.

Some of the cords may have two female ports, some may have three. Best bet is bring the cord you're looking to swap out so you know exactly what the end has to look like to plug into the "brick".
greyhound

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this what an adaptor look like for UK-Korea? It looks like a UK-EU adaptor 3pins to 2 pins.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USA-EURO-UK-AUS-to-Germany-South-Korea-France-Travel-Adapter-AC-Power-Plug-/252429222251?hash=item3ac5f4416b:g:OyQAAOxy0zhTOK~m
ttompatz

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

greyhound wrote:
Is this what an adaptor look like for UK-Korea? It looks like a UK-EU adaptor 3pins to 2 pins.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USA-EURO-UK-AUS-to-Germany-South-Korea-France-Travel-Adapter-AC-Power-Plug-/252429222251?hash=item3ac5f4416b:g:OyQAAOxy0zhTOK~m

That would work most of the time in most of Korea.
Most wall sockets in Korea are the 2 pin round types.

There are still a few legacy socket types in old buildings around the US bases that have 2 pin flat sockets.

Alternatively, when you get here, stop at your local family mart/7-11/Lotte Mart and get a power bar with universal sockets. They are also cheap.
https://www.110220volts.com/media/catalog/product/6/s/6strip_1.jpg

Kwangjuchicken

Location: I was abducted by aliens on my way to Korea and forced to be an EFL teacher on this crazy planet.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TorontoToronto wrote:
http://www.yottadeals.net/pics/pics01/adapter/AC-Adapter-for-Viewsonic-VA712-VA712B.jpg

Most laptops you can unplug the male end cord from the transformer box and then plug in a local male end cord.

Likewise a lot of printers have power cords that can unplug from the printer. Again, you could probably find a cord at a computer store in Korea.

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
young_clinton

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Koreans use the two prong European plug, it's universal there. Don't confuse the European plug with the unwieldy British plug.
greyhound

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it exactly the same width between the 2 prongs as a EU plug? I can get a UK-EU plug at the airport. What's unwieldly about the British plug? It's more stable than a 2-pronged plug as it has a 3rd prong. Shocked
young_clinton

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Korean plug fits the American adapter for continental plugs. So I'm pretty sure it's the same plug.

British plugs are too stable. I used to know a British professor that would say "I'm surprised Americans don't get electrocuted by the flimsy American plugs". American plugs are flimsy and hang after several years of use, but the voltage is lower and they come out easier, you don't have to seriously grasp the plug maybe inadvertently grasping the prongs as well.
Aine1979

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

greyhound wrote:
Is it exactly the same width between the 2 prongs as a EU plug? I can get a UK-EU plug at the airport. What's unwieldly about the British plug? It's more stable than a 2-pronged plug as it has a 3rd prong. Shocked

It's exactly the same as the EU plug, any UK to EU adapter will work fine.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: