Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Remember Ohio ...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rteacher

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:34 pm    Post subject: Remember Ohio ... Reply with quote

"Remember Ohio..." - refrain from song written by Neil Young in 1970 after shootings of protesters at Kent State campus by National Guard troops . The lyric "Tin soldiers and Nixon coming ..." could probably be updated to "Police state and Trump coming ..."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ohio_(Crosby,_Stills,_Nash_%26_Young_song)

The potential for violent clashes at the GOP convention is obvious - and Ohio's "open carry" law has a lot of people worried - especially police ... http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/17/politics/cleveland-police-baton-rouge-security-open-carry/

Here's my karaoke rendition of the song "Ohio" - and it probably has some authentic feel to it since I participated in several major protests during the Vietnam war era ... http://www.singsnap.com/karaoke/r/b37d43eba

The thread I recently bumped in the Off-Topic forum evokes some of the (crazy?) revolutionary spirit of what was termed the "counter-culture" ...
http://forums.eslcafe.com/korea/viewtopic.php?t=47166
Plain Meaning

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"We are sending a letter to Gov. Kasich requesting assistance from him. He could very easily do some kind of executive order or something -- I don't care if it's constitutional or not at this point," Stephen Loomis, president of Cleveland Police Patrolmen's Association, told CNN. "They can fight about it after the RNC or they can lift it after the RNC, but I want him to absolutely outlaw open-carry in Cuyahoga County until this RNC is over."

You know, if they do this, obnoxious Leftists (hi!!!) will blast the GOP for hypocrisy for the rest of the opening half of the century.

I bolded the statement I thought was appalling and hilarious. If open carry works this week, it should work next week. There is no RNC exception to civil liberties.
Steelrails

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knowing the way things have been going so far this year, I see these possibilities-

1) Despite the hype, not much happens and the RNC goes off without a hitch. At the DNC some crazy incident happens
2) Somebody guns down a bunch of innocent Trumpers
3) Somebody tries to gun down Trumpers and gets taken out by an Open Carry
4) Inside the convention or internationally, something goes seriously crazy (Trump steps down, Romney attempts a political coup, Bob Dole has a heart attack live on stage, another major terrorist shooting/bombing, Michael Jordan drops dead) that defuses the tension outside.
Plain Meaning

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing remarkable outside the convention. Loomis wanted to suspend portions of Ohio's Constitution over nothing. Governor Kasich could not even be bothered to attend.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: