Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Current Korean Podcasts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TorontoToronto

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:21 am    Post subject: Current Korean Podcasts Reply with quote

Doing my "is Korea right for me?" research and I'm dipping my toes into a few podcasts.

Korea Underground looks promising.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/korea-underground/id877640077

Any others you recommend? Qualities I'm looking for:

1) established (not a 3 ep still born series)

2) hosts who are dull or jerks. Podcasts are sometimes less about the topic and more about the chemistry between cohosts and listner.

3) tips for newbs
PRagic

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll get more, and probably better, info by just reading through the FAQs here.
TorontoToronto

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PRagic wrote:
You'll get more, and probably better, info by just reading through the FAQs here.

Certainly. But podcasts with good show hosts have a way of transmitting attitudes. I think of, for example, The Eat Your Kimchi youtube series:

https://www.youtube.com/user/simonandmartina

I think being a successful expat (based on my experience as a Canadian living and working in the USA and Singapore) is, to some degree, about having the proper attitude, like a sense of humor. Unfortunately, I don't have the ability to enjoy youtube on my commute. But podcasts are, for me, ideal.
PRagic

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol...can't believe you used them as an example! Can't stand those two, and I'm pretty sure a LOT of expats here feel the same.

Maybe it's a generational difference, but, come on, READ! You're more apt to get specific information on specific topics, and, in the case of a forum, from multiple people. For me at least, pod casts are too slow, and all too often self indulgent ego fodder.

To each their own. Read a book or article by Hall, Hofstede, or Trompenaars if you want some cross-cultural guidance.
TorontoToronto

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Delved into that podcast I thought might be promising. Yeah, gave two eps a try. Not really my thing. The female host almost sounds like she doesn't want to be there. And the guy doesn't really have anything useful or interesting to say about Korea. Then again, I only listed to the last two eps. So maybe they're just out of material. The upside is they're not in Seoul, so for those who are destined for some place outside Seoul, it might be useful.

As I said, in my experience, which may be different from yours, I like multiple sources: reading, podcasts, youtube, etc.

I'm not actually so sure about Korea at this point. I loved living and working in Singapore. But Singapore is like Asia made easy for Westerners. People line up. The government knows how to get shit done. Maybe Seoul, not so much.
Oldtimer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Doing my "is Korea right for me?" research and I'm dipping my toes into a few podcasts.

Right for you in what way? Teaching English? I would re-consider. You seem an intelligent person, so...just why? Yes, I taught English in Korea years ago, and have worked in three other countries, but I've since got a master's degree in something else entirely and left teaching. I suggest doing likewise to other people very often, especially those who are older than 20s. In any case, the common view seems to be that EFL in Korea boomed in the 2000s but, during this decade, it is not worth bothering with at all.
PRagic

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha! Yeah, HK and Singapore should have a slogan, 'THE BEST PLACES TO LIVE IN ASIA....IF YOU DON'T REALLY WANT TO LIVE IN ASIA!'

There are still jobs to be had in Korea, and there certainly is an urban-rural divide here. But even second and third tier cities have most amenities, so you don't have to be in 'just Seoul' anymore.

Korea still has more of an edge than Japan, and probably always will. And I mean that in a good way. Some people prefer China. Taiwan is another option. Obviously, though I've been all through East and SE Asia, with well over 20 years in Korea, I have found this the best place to live and work. Plus, I've made no secret of the fact that Korea has been very good to my wife and I.

Why? Part of it is the weather. Yeah, yeah, I know...monsoons and hot summers, long winters, and fleeting springs and falls. But we get seasonal change and it's not scorching hot most of the year. Personally, I'd melt in HK, Vietnam, or Singapore, or Taiwan, places some go to teach, and we have little desire to even retire in SE Asia (e.g. Thailand). Love all those places for visits, even extended vacations, but to live and work, or live all year round? Nope.

I like Seoul. Yeah, there are problems, the asinine cost of housing foremost among them, but, hey, every major city has problems. Some prefer European cities, and that's understandable. If you have an EU passport and you can actually make money there, might be a nice option. My bread has always been buttered in this neck of the woods, though.

If you're looking for a place to just teach for a year, pick a country and get to it. You'll be better served by properly researching individual potential employers, though. Do your homework there first. See the FAQs. It's nice to be prepared, but don't overthink it to death. Pick a country, pick a place in that country (see FAQs for info on both or just ASK), get job offers, and then concentrate an vetting those employers.
TorontoToronto

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldtimer wrote:
Quote:

Right for you in what way? Teaching English? I would re-consider. You seem an intelligent person, so...just why? Yes, I taught English in Korea years ago, and have worked in three other countries, but I've since got a master's degree in something else entirely and left teaching. I suggest doing likewise to other people very often, especially those who are older than 20s. In any case, the common view seems to be that EFL in Korea boomed in the 2000s but, during this decade, it is not worth bothering with at all.

If things go right, planning to cash out my options at my company and take a bit of a mid career break for a year or two. I've been in the software game for a while and could use a year or two to, at worst, bum around. But I don't want to backpack through some backwater. I like modern cities. I will say the expat community here seems pretty rough, if this board is any indication. Based on my experience in Singapore the expat community was pretty chill and welcoming. I'm not getting that. But I also need to remind myself that words written on the computer screen can be entirely different from the people behind those words. Someone who may seem like a right *beep* in text can turn out to be a genuine and caring human being.
TorontoToronto

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PRagic wrote:

Why? Part of it is the weather. Yeah, yeah, I know...monsoons and hot summers, long winters, and fleeting springs and falls. But we get seasonal change and it's not scorching hot most of the year.

Yeah, oddly one of the things that lured me back to Canada after 4 years in Singapore was seasons. The first couple years of no winter is just fantastic. But then you start to miss fall and spring. Winter. Meh. But weather wise Korea seems to be a place with seasons but maybe not as severe (winter wise) as Toronto.

I did like the multiculturalism in Singapore. As I like it in Toronto. I used to live in Seattle in the 1990s and the multiculturalism was a bit lacking. Like, the "ethnic" food tended to get dumbed down for the broader Caucasian population. Although I was impressed that Korean restaurants, at least back then, tended to have a "this food is for us, if you don't like it there's the door" attitude.
PRagic

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Several have noted the negativity on the Korea-oriented threads over the years. A lot of it has to do with the fact that, while employee rights are now somewhat more comparatively protected (e.g. labor board), a lot of new teachers still get screwed over by their hagwon (institute) owners, have aweful and/or xenophobic co-teachers if they're at public schools, or, for whatever reason, don't get the Korean thing.

There are also some people that seem to have this misbegotten, pre-conceived notion that English teachers are 'losers', and make every effort to flame whenever possible.

Then there are the university and would-be university instructors (not professors) who are smarting because pay has been stagnant or decreased, hours have increased, and conditions have worsened (e.g. no more housing; term limits), all while the competition for these jobs has ramped up demand for increasingly better credentials to get one.

This of course doesn't characterize every university, but the happy people don't come on the board to tell us they're happy. Same couple be said of the thousands of happy and satisfied hagwon and PS teachers.

Like I said, Korea has an edge to it, and it's not for everyone.
TorontoToronto

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's something I call the landlord/tenant spiral of death. Each has been legitimately screwed over at least once. In new dealings each assumes not good faith but "that guy is going to screw me over".

I think the whole nation of Israel is based on the concept (in politics and international relations) of not being a "frayer".

https://www.quora.com/How-do-you-define-the-Israeli-term-Frayer-or-friar-or-fryer

The very attitude the other party is going to screw you over causes one to act in subtle ways the other party picks up on. The other party, however, interprets the actions not as reasonable steps to protect oneself from being a "frayer" but as red flags the person is out to screw you over. So the other party takes steps to prevent being a "frayer". Of course then the first party reads those signs and it only confirms the person is probably dishonest and causes the first party to double down. And it becomes a death spiral of moves and counter moves...

I've seen it take hold in companies too. Yeah, we've all been at a company where the management was like "no, we're totally profitable" and then boom they lay of 3/4 of the work force. So when the next company does something which might be entirely reasonable people start to assume the worst...

The Western expat community in Singapore is, no doubt, different from the expat community in Korea. People tend to be there because they're transferred from corporate jobs or they're in some kind of white collar type job. "Oh, this just isn't going to work out. Well, fly me home and move all my stuff home HP." I would imagine working on a restricted Visa is a bit like working on an H1B during my Seattle days. The company there owns you and it's an expensive move home. So. You're skittish.
PRagic

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The corporate jobs and the government jobs afford people to have the 'expat lite' experience. They're technically in a given country, but they're by no means actually on the economy. Papa is still picking up the tab and then some. And that's the way most corporate and government employees would like to have it.
TorontoToronto

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PRagic wrote:
The corporate jobs and the government jobs afford people to have the 'expat lite' experience. They're technically in a given country, but they're by no means actually on the economy. Papa is still picking up the tab and then some. And that's the way most corporate and government employees would like to have it.

Exactly. You never know your true self until you lose the safety net.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: