Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

the migration has started
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tophatcat

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edwardcatflap wrote:
World Traveler wrote:
tophatcat wrote:
Don't make me have to work 60 hours a week to supplement the lazy guy who doesn't want to put in a little overtime.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6HEH23W_bM

On the other hand the average CEO in the US makes 13.8 million dollars a year (204 times the median salary). Would it really be so much of a burden if half of that went on paying for therapy for Tom's disabled kid and the CEO could manage to survive on 7 mil?

And if Harry, I, have the disabled kid? And I'm working overtime to support my disabled kid and Tom's lazy self? And I don't make 13.8 million dollars a year.

I say each person should support himself. A flat tax on all incomes. Say, 10% on all salaries at all levels. Let the bums starve.
tophatcat

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's easy to figure out who the losers are. They want the government to take away from others. Screw all the distribute the wealth. If you want some wealth, work for it.
edwardcatflap

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Let the bums starve

Let them die then and decrease the surplus population.
tophatcat

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edwardcatflap wrote:
Quote:
Let the bums starve

Let them die then and decrease the surplus population.

What ever happened to the good old days when there were plagues?

~
edwardcatflap

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It's easy to figure out who the losers are. They want the government to take away from others. Screw all the distribute the wealth. If you want some wealth, work for it.

Yes you're right but at the same time the average working man who works hard but doesn't make it to top management is earning less than he used to in real terms and the people at the top are earning way more proportionally than they used to, not by being any better at their jobs. As long as people keep saying what you're saying that situation is going to get more extreme. People are being persuaded to keep blaming 'losers' to distract them from the fact that hard working people are doing worse and worse.
tophatcat

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Overall, throughout the world, people have it better now than in any time in history. If you don't figure in the top 2%, this is still true. Times are good. It just so happens to be really good for the people at the top.
edwardcatflap

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tophatcat wrote:
Overall, throughout the world, people have it better now than in any time in history. If you don't figure in the top 2%, this is still true. Times are good. It just so happens to be really good for the people at the top.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2016/jul/18/millennials-earn-8000-pounds-less-in-their-20s-than-predecessors
J.Q.A.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edwardcatflap wrote:
Quote:

Yes you're right but at the same time the average working man who works hard but doesn't make it to top management is earning less than he used to in real terms and the people at the top are earning way more proportionally than they used to, not by being any better at their jobs. As long as people keep saying what you're saying that situation is going to get more extreme. People are being persuaded to keep blaming 'losers' to distract them from the fact that hard working people are doing worse and worse.

Well, that is a good point. However, not every working man will make it to the top. But one difference now, vs "then", is that there was loyalty. Furthermore, not every job was considered a "speciality" nor were expectations that someone had to have a "passion" for the job in which one applied to. Too many people just need a job....simply to pay the bills.

Companies do not wantt to take the time to train, nor is there that sense of company loyalty (on both sides).

My grandfather was able to support his family simply by working at a gas station or a theater usher (until the war broke out).
tophatcat

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edwardcatflap wrote:
tophatcat wrote:

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2016/jul/18/millennials-earn-8000-pounds-less-in-their-20s-than-predecessors

Millennials have many financial advantages beyond salaries that their predecessors didn't have.

So what if the predecessors did have better jobs and salaries? It's no reason to tax me for the shortcomings.
World Traveler

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tophatecat wrote:
Millennials are like Tom. Boomers are like Harry.
edwardcatflap

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tophatcat wrote:
edwardcatflap wrote:
tophatcat wrote:

Millennials have many financial advantages beyond salaries that their predecessors didn't have.

So what if the predecessors did have better jobs and salaries? It's no reason to tax me for the shortcomings.

Not talking about taxing you more. Unless you're in the top 1% and making massive amounts more than people in your position thirty years ago.
Kuros

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edwardcatflap wrote:
tophatcat wrote:

But flatcap, have you considered the alternativefact that an entire class of people spanning multiple ethnicities and backgrounds (aka 'millenials') who simply share an arbitrary range of birthdates, are in fact spoiled in comparison to another group of people whose only unifying trait is the date of their birth?

Generation X is terrified that they are going to die, so they take their existential fear out on Millenials

Quote:
Psychological studies show that death anxiety is higher in middle adulthood than any other time of life. I imagine it feels like having a voice in the back of your head acknowledging, "I'm up next." For Gen-Xers, feeling disconnected from the youthful culture that no longer reflects their values and becoming more aware of their own physical fragility forces them to react.

Some people cope with their death anxiety by having a "midlife crisis"--or an attempt to keep death at bay by reconnecting to youth. Whether it's a red sports car, divorce, a younger spouse, or traveling, each Gen-Xer finds his or her own way to avoid thinking about death.

Another popular way to defend against awareness of your mortality is to get angry. Angry that you don't have more time to build the life of your dreams. Angry at the fact that you didn't make the best use of your time. Angry that you aren't the exception--that you too are noticing the signs of aging. And all of this anger has to go somewhere.

These intense feelings either get placed back on the self and experienced as depression, or they get externalized onto an easy target--the younger generation.

Blaming Millennials is a great way to make yourself feel better. It makes you feel like you did something "the right way" and they are doing things "the wrong way." It also helps you feel justified in your actions, giving meaning to your suffering. The more you can deal with an external conflict, the less you have to look in the mirror.
tophatcat

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel great. I'm healthy. I'm happy. I'm reasonably financially secure. But I don't want the government taking large amounts of my income to support lazy people. I pay more than a reasonable share in taxes every year.

Simply cutting and pasting some liberal nonsense doesn't represent the way I feel.
tophatcat

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm wealthy, healthy, and handsome.

Very Happy

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
CentralCali

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tophatcat wrote:
But I don't want the government taking large amounts of my income to support lazy people.

You seriously believe that's what the various welfare/assistance plans are about, "supporting lazy people"? That's the same kind of nonsense as "People join the army because they can't get any other job". If the folks are lazy, then trying to survive off of welfare/public assistance is really not the right choice given the hoops they have to jump through today to receive it.

Quote:
I pay more than a reasonable share in taxes every year.

Then perhaps you need to avail yourself of some assistance yourself so that your share of taxes is just reasonable.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: