Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

the migration has started
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tophatcat

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sold my almost new brick home in my hometown 20 years ago. It's still one of the best neighborhoods in the city. The current owner has remodeled it in the past 2 years. The home is now up for sale at a 60% increase over what I sold it for. Home prices haven't risen much compared to wages. My salary has risen much more than 60% in the past 20 years. Rent in my hometown is around double of what it was 20 years ago.

My hometown friend's son, who lives in the hometown, is making three times the salary there that I was making 20 years ago.

Come on people, stop feeling entitled to a free life of the sweat of others.
Gwangjuboy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a lot of free will zealotry going on here!
PRagic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The richest 1%, heck, even the richest 10%, have also done pretty well because the S&P500 has trippled since the financial crisis. It's nice when your money makes more money for you.
World Traveler

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edwardcatflap wrote:
You forgot to mention the huge increase in house prices and rent as a proportion of salaries.

"More than half of Britain has seen wages rise faster than house prices in the last 10 years"

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-41244444
mysterious700

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I thought this was either about all the English teachers moving from Korea to China or about all the people going from the way# site due to their blocking and charging for out date ppt downloads. Either way, I've hardly used that one in years. Been a proud long term Daves user. Well back migrators. Ha ha. For those leaving Korea to go to China, you're welcome to leave here and go there too. Ha ha.
weigook744

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, anyone who stays on that old waygook site is dumber than rocks staying put in a rock quarry. Come over here folks.
weigook744

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

creeper1 wrote:
Haven't they always been there?

I mean low paying BBQ restaurants often have Chinese as waiters and waitresses.

It would be something new if the billionaires were moving.

Did you know that China now has more billionaires than America?

I've heard of them paying western girls ridiculous amounts of money to basically baby sit their kids.

Yeah. It's amusing to think of Seoul as a clean air destination but for Beijinger it is.

A Chinese billionaire is going to San Francisco or Vancouver (Hongcouver), not Seoul, to live. Seoul is a quick weekend jaunt for shopping.
SuperfuzzBigmuff

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

weigook744 wrote:
Well, anyone who stays on that old waygook site is dumber than rocks staying put in a rock quarry. Come over here folks.

When did people stop posting here on Dave's? It was a lively place back in 2010.
tophatcat

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PRagic wrote:
The richest 1%, heck, even the richest 10%, have also done pretty well because the S&P500 has trippled since the financial crisis. It's nice when your money makes more money for you.

Donald J Trump

The S&P500 is up 20% since Trump has been in office. Moved $4500 in earnings over into an IRA last week.

Trump has been very good to me.
bucheon bum

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tophatcat wrote:
PRagic wrote:

Donald J Trump

The S&P500 is up 20% since Trump has been in office. Moved $4500 in earnings over into an IRA last week.

Trump has been very good to me.

The S&P rose more in Obama's 1st year (26%), but there are 3 more trading days...
weigook744

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperfuzzBigmuff wrote:
weigook744 wrote:

When did people stop posting here on Dave's? It was a lively place back in 2010.

I think around 2011 and 2012 folks migrated over due to being able to post ppts and it being more of a "safe space" initially though a "free speech" vibe took over as time went on. But last year, new mods came on and started muting people more, also they banned people with no warning. It was especially if you contributed many power points in the past. You got banned quickly so you couldn't remove them. Then, it became a pay site if you wanted to access their ppts. Others started up other sites like Korshare for sharing ppts via cloud software.

But, I have always used this site. It was really active and a great source for information. Sometimes, though, it seemed more like "Seoul ESL cafe" as it was mostly about Seoul area and no one seemed able to give much info if you lived in the rest of the country. When I got here over 11 years ago, I lived in a small country city (less thab 100,000 people). The way I remembered it was the way folks here described Seoul in the 90's in many ways. Anyways, I'd love to see this site pick up more. It's still great for other countries and for jobs listings. I am trying to get folks to come over here to this site when I can. I had a similiar name (slightly different) over on that other site. But I virtually have no use for it. Also, many text books are changing this year. So, that site screwed themselves by kicking people off.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: