Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to deal with bed bugs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
balzor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:47 pm    Post subject: How to deal with bed bugs Reply with quote

A friend of mine has bed bugs that are eating her up. She told her school about it and they dismissed it as mosquitos or just smiled at her. Any recommendations about how to suggest it be fixed?
tomwaits

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bedbugs have come back in NA in a nasty way---Google and you will find lots of info. (Bedbugs are flat little red things.)

Bad news is you won't get rid of them altogether.

Some hints off the top of my head.

Vacuum often
Do laundry often--use a dryer.
Vaseline on legs of bed.
Spray repellant around floorboards.
Throw away old furniture and mattresses especially if they have holes in them.

If you travel -do laundry and put dried clothes in plastic bags so you don't take them with you.
NYC_Gal

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh geez. I had a coworker back home who got them. He had to throw away a lot of his stuff, and have an exterminator come in, though it didn't get rid of them completely. He had to keep his clean clothing in giant ziplock bags. He ended up moving, leaving all of the furniture, and suing the landlord, because he'd only moved in 2 weeks before. He got off lucky, as the landlord ended up paying for all of the furniture he scrapped plus moving costs. It's a shame they don't use DDT anymore, as dangerous as it is, because it's the most effective way to get rid of them.

Here's some info that may help:
http://www.medicinenet.com/bed_bugs/page3.htm#toce

When my coworker had them, I freaked out and did a lot of research. This was when I was living in a brownstone in Park Slope, and I DID NOT want to get an infestation. I stripped in the vestibule of my house and threw my clothes into a plastic bag that was dumped directly into my washer, and ran the hottest wash possible. Overkill, maybe, but it gave me peace of mind.

I hope that everything works out. If it isn't a bedbug infestation, it could be as simple as fleas. The previous owner could have had a pet. It is much easier to treat, as bedbugs can live for a year or longer without feeding.

<<shudder>>
Troglodyte

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How long has your colleague lived in the apartment? If it's more than a month, I don't think that it could be fleas. Flees don't live on humans for very long. From what I've heard, they are pretty dependent on living on certain animals (e.g. a dog). You can get them when they jump from a dog to you but apparently they can't live on a human for long. I get fleas on me sometimes when I go to a farm. It's the main reason that I don't like petting outdoor dogs. But they always disappear after leaving the farm.
kimchi_pizza

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my sympathies, really. It's awful....

I had'em in Japan and it's....bad.

Japan's BOE wouldn't help me so I had to buy 6 cans of insecticide and fumigate my own apartment 3 times before I finally got a decent night's sleep. That meant, fumigate floor seems, corners, closets, etc and getting a hotel for the night.

The seams of the mattress or cushions are their favorite places. Even after spraying, (luckily the rain should be ending) so place EVERYTHING in direct sunlight for as long as possible. pillows, pillow cases, mattress, bed sheets, cushions...clothing should be alright but why chance it? After being in sunlight long enough, beat the hades outta it. Gotta dislodge'em.

One other thing, they tore me up and I didn't see a single one! Execept the carcass of one I must've rolled on top of. F***'n lil bastards that they are.

They go after arms mostly or any other exposed body part while sleeping and leave welts 10X the size of a mosquito bite and itch 10X as bad and long. DON'T scratch! Buy some itch reliever until they are gone once and for all.

G'luck

As a side note: Ever seen those old shows/movies of people beating bed sheets while they hang on a line outside? NOW you know. It may be time to go back to the old school laundry system if you have a bug problem. Sunlight is their worst enemy.
njp6

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vampires, I guess they are (suck blood and hate sunlight).

What's the best way to detect bed bugs (other than the bites)? I've read up on this a bit, but first hand recommendations are always appreciated.
Globutron

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear they had the first case of Bed Buggage in korea about a year ago, for the first time in 20 years. They're hardly common around these here parts.

I think the natural route would be best.
Get a load of cockroaches and spiders in your room. They don't bite you and they eat bed bugs for breakfast.
balzor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Globutron wrote:
I hear they had the first case of Bed Buggage in korea about a year ago, for the first time in 20 years. They're hardly common around these here parts.

Get a load of cockroaches and spiders in your room. They don't bite you and they eat bed bugs for breakfast.
Don't believe what you read in Korean News or about how often Koreans report things. I saw that article too. No doubt they have had them before, they just attributed them to something else.
blackjack

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

njp6 wrote:

What's the best way to detect bed bugs (other than the bites)? I've read up on this a bit, but first hand recommendations are always appreciated.

Blood on the sheets

From what I heard they live in the wood.

I had them once from an Australian hostel and brought them back to NZ.

I bought several cans of fly spray and fumed my bed clothes and everything in my house, then I used a couple of flea bombs. Finally I went to the chemist and got some thing for the bites
nomad-ish

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blackjack wrote:
njp6 wrote:

Blood on the sheets

From what I heard they live in the wood.

I had them once from an Australian hostel and brought them back to NZ.

I bought several cans of fly spray and fumed my bed clothes and everything in my house, then I used a couple of flea bombs. Finally I went to the chemist and got some thing for the bites

you can also detect bedbugs by looking for small, brown star shapes on your sheets (waste).

as someone who has lived someplace with bedbugs, my advice to your friend is to MOVE. seriously, the solutions people have mentioned on this thread are somewhat effective, but they are extremely difficult to get rid of and will have to be repeated many times. the bedbugs at the place i rented didn't live in the furniture (well, maybe some did), but the majority were in the freaking walls (near the trim).

and although they do dislike sunlight, i would still see them occasionally during the day. also since they can survive a long time without food, there's little chance of starving them.

things i tried:
-spraying
-covering and sealing surrounding furniture where they might also live (i couldn't throw things out because it wasn't my furniture)
-duct taping any cracks in the wall
-vacuuming of course

nothing worked, so i moved.
nukeday

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had them in america once too. yep, moving is the best answer. and try not to take them with you (they like canvass luggage)
oldfatfarang

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing funnier (or more worrying) than being woken up while sleeping in a cheap Thai hotel. Tourists in the next room shouting in German and broken English:

Tourist: "Mein Gott! Amnimals! Achh."

Drunken Thai hotel owner: "Mai pen rai. Spray."

(sound of fly killer being used).

Lots more shouting in German - broken English.

OFF rolls over and tries to sleep - waiting on the invasion.
northway

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

balzor wrote:
Globutron wrote:

Don't believe what you read in Korean News or about how often Koreans report things. I saw that article too. No doubt they have had them before, they just attributed them to something else.

It's entirely possible they didn't. Bed bugs disappeared for a long, long time and have just made a comeback within the last ten-fifteen years. Many places in the States have only been invaded within the last couple years.
Louis VI

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buy a new bed
Kellie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I even found bed bugs in a luxury hotel (a trip to Indonesia last year)
Having bed bugs really freaked me out!! (they can sneak into anywhere: bed, carpet, furniture,...) And when they bite you, there are rashes or bumps which are itchy and red, and it even can have allergic reaction together with burning sensation and painful swelling at the area surrounding the bites. The bites can become engorged or in the worst case develop anaphylactic response. Bed bugs don’t transmit diseases but they can cause a skin infection because of the scratch.
These natural remedies can treat bed bugs bites effectively:
- Lemon juice: Take a cotton ball and dip it in lemon juice. Dab it on the bed bugs bites. Wait for several minutes then wash these areas. Follow this solution for several times a day.
REMEMBER: Don’t go out in the sun for a couple of hours after taking this tip because lemon juice can make your skin vulnerable to sunburn.
- You can ask for some ice cubes, it can calm the swelling.
- Cucumber: Take a piece of cucumber slice or peel and place it on the bed bug bites. Wait for 10 to 15 minutes.
Note: You should cool the pieces in the refrigerator before placing it on the affected area for the best effects.

Read more other remedies for bug bites here https://authorityremedies.com/how-to-get-rid-of-bed-bug-bites/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: