Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

short term teaching opportunities for licensed teachers?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jg

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:54 pm    Post subject: short term teaching opportunities for licensed teachers? Reply with quote

Hi,

I teach in a big city public school, and we are once again facing major budget, morale, and labor problems. I would like to know about any short term teaching positions in Korea, anything from a summer camp to a six month gig somewhere. Teaching in Korea for a while would be a nice break from the hot mess of Chicago. Yes, I have heard that Korea is hot mess 2.0, but it's a different hot mess, and I crave variety!

I realize that Korea is "paperwork intensive" to get into, but still thought I would inquire. My license is in elementary education, and I also have an ESL endorsement. I previously taught in China for several years and have visited Korea (for tourism) and wouldn't mind a spell there.

Thanks in advance!

J
PRagic

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Short term contracts are rare, particularly if they're hiring from overseas with all the associated expenses involved.

If you're looking for a more permanent move, look into foreign schools here. Just a thought.

If you're set on doing just 6 months, there is a way, but it's shifty at best. Get your docs in order, get a hagwon job on a one year contract, and then simply walk at the 6 month mark. DO NOT EVER let anyone know at work of your intentions. EVER.

Understand going in, though, that you won't get severance, and you may not recoup the money you put into pension. Some schools will also require repayment for the flight should you not finish XX number of months of the contract.

It's doable, but morally a gray area.
jg

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Thanks for the advice but I wouldn't want to do it like that. I should add that I am not interested in having airfare paid for, just the standard lodging + salary deal. I can pay my way over.
PRagic

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easiest route is to just get a gaggle of recruiters searching for you, then. Odds are they'll tell you that short term positions aren't available, but you won't know unless you try.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: