Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Opportunities after breaking a teaching contract

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hennessy89

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 9:15 am    Post subject: Opportunities after breaking a teaching contract Reply with quote

Hi all,

Late last year I pulled what many of you know as a midnight run. I was unhappy, desperate, and made a decision that I've come to regret.

I emailed the school with my resignation, explaining my position. Although the school certainly wasn't the worst, it definitely was not ready for my arrival and technically broke our contract the first day (reduced training by half).

After a lot of consideration and meditation, I realized that I should have given my school some more time--I left before I even received my ARC card.

Now, I want to go back to Korea and succeed at what I've always wanted (albeit failed the first time) to do.

I was wondering what my options are. I don't plan on returning until my current visa expires (I don't know where I stand with my school; they never responded to my resignation nor did my recruiter contact me). Is EPIK out of the question? Do I have to report I broke a teaching contract, even after my visa expires (aka, do they have any way of knowing?)?

I know that private schools are fair game (mostly). But the question remains -- would a private school know that I broke a contract if I don't report it to a recruiter? I was only "teaching" for two weeks.

Basically, I was wondering if schools -- public or private -- can find out my employment history AFTER my visa expires.

Thanks!
ttompatz

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The short answer is yes. It is in your passport and in your immigration file.

Will it make any difference? Maybe yes, to some employers. Probably not to many but you better be able to provide an answer when asked. If the previous employer was burned for the air ticket then most likely yes than no.

Will it rule out EPIK? Again, maybe.
There is no definitive answer BUT if you lie on your application and it is discovered (they are a government agency) it is also grounds for termination with cause.

If you can't get past your past to return to Korea then there is always China or Taiwan. In most places the savings are comparable to what you can save in Korea after living expenses and the standard of living is ab out the same with your disposable income.

Hennessy89

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly there's really no telling if I burned my school for the air ticket or not. They never responded to my resignation...never asked for any sort of funds.

I did work for a bit of time and left before I got paid -- maybe that covered it all? Who really knows. I'm thinking that the school has dealt with so many runners that they just don't bother pursuing it (which seems very odd).

The school made an awful first impression (worse for the teacher who arrived after me), which I think is somewhat of a good reason for me to bail. It was my first time in Asia/working abroad, and my expectations (which were standard) were not met in the slightest. The English-speaking faculty were very kind and welcoming, although seemed to have been dealing with their own frustrations with the school. They just had more experience + a harder shell (something I would have developed if I stuck it out for another month or so).

Anyway...let's say I am honest to a future private or public school about breaking a teaching contract. Will they reach out to the school I left to confirm what I said was accurate...? I doubt any school would just say, "Yea, we aren't that great. He's right!"

---

I know now that there isn't a perfect school, and that I should have dealt with my anxiety/unhappiness/stress in another way (or, at least, gave it some time to settle).
SeoulNate

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you freaked out that quickly the first time, chances are it is going to happen again. Teaching overseas isn't for everyone
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: