Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korea Childcare

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
carswell.taylor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:04 am    Post subject: Korea Childcare Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me about childcare in Korea? I have a 1 year old and I'm curious about childcare there, whether it be daycare or a babysitter/nanny. What is the normal cost of childcare, do they offer late hour care, etc. Any information is appreciated!
thrylos

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daycare/preschool is everywhere. They are called "orinijip" (child house) and they take babies from 5-6 months until kindergarden. If you are a foreigner married to a Korean, it is free by government subsidy. If not, they run about 250-400,000 won/month, depending. They can start from as early as 8am until about 5-6pm.

I'm not aware of private babysitting, though I'm sure it exists. Most Korean kids that don't attend orinijip are usually cared for by grandparents, not nannies.
Coltronator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thyros has it right.

About half are ~4pm go home time though so be careful about that. (mostly those are the apartment unit ones)

Some will also insist the child is a higher age minimum.

Also by free he means 90% subsidized. You'll pay for the picnic uniform once (~30k) and about 100k per month.
Fox

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thrylos wrote:

I'm not aware of private babysitting, though I'm sure it exists. Most Korean kids that don't attend orinijip are usually cared for by grandparents, not nannies.

There are government-sponsored nanny services available as well, at least in some regions. The degree of the subsidy depends both on the age of your child (younger children receive a higher subsidy) and the income of your family (poorer families receive a higher subsidy). The same service often doubles as a "sick care" program: when one's children are sick, they can request a subsidized nanny for the span of the illness, since the child should not attend a preschool or kindergarten during that time.

As far as "late care" goes, the nannies are definitely available around the clock, and would probably be the logical option if you needed child care after 5:30 in the evening.
nicwr2002

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you make a typical hagwon salary around 2.1 million or so, you won't qualify for the subsidy for the nanny service. I guess you need to be homeless to qualify...
goat

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nicwr2002 wrote:
If you make a typical hagwon salary around 2.1 million or so, you won't qualify for the subsidy for the nanny service. I guess you need to be homeless to qualify...

2.1 million

That's enough for a husband, wife, and child to live on.

SMH
Fox

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nicwr2002 wrote:

I do not know the regulations in whatever region you live or lived, but both I and my wife were earning well above 2.1 million and we qualified for a substantially subsidized nanny service in our region. Interested parties need to research what is available in the location in which they want to live.
nicwr2002

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox wrote:
nicwr2002 wrote:

I do not know the regulations in whatever region you live or lived, but both I and my wife were earning well above 2.1 million and we qualified for a substantially subsidized nanny service in our region. Interested parties need to research what is available in the location in which they want to live.

My wife called them up and was told that we make too much money for the discounted rate. We could use their service, but it was at full price.
Renderella

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:27 pm    Post subject: Times Reply with quote

My daughters orinichib is open officially from 9-730, but since they are government run they are supposed to be from 7:30-7:30. I have to be to work by 8:30, so they get there around 8:05/8:10 for me. Thankfully, another parent also started bringing their child that early so now I don't feel as badly.

They also accept children from 0-5 years Korean age.

The first place I paid $458/mo with all the extra activities. Now I am paying $408 at this new place and I believe the price will drop some since she is older this year. I still don't know the pricing well, but I know the base fee at this place is $378 and the rest is the extra activities. Then I also pay extra for field trips, but the first place included field trips in that cost.

So it really just depends on what kind of daycare and how many extra classes they have.
Lazio

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: Times Reply with quote

Renderella wrote:
My daughters orinichib is open officially from 9-730, but since they are government run they are supposed to be from 7:30-7:30. I have to be to work by 8:30, so they get there around 8:05/8:10 for me. Thankfully, another parent also started bringing their child that early so now I don't feel as badly.

They also accept children from 0-5 years Korean age.

The first place I paid $458/mo with all the extra activities. Now I am paying $408 at this new place and I believe the price will drop some since she is older this year. I still don't know the pricing well, but I know the base fee at this place is $378 and the rest is the extra activities. Then I also pay extra for field trips, but the first place included field trips in that cost.

So it really just depends on what kind of daycare and how many extra classes they have.

That is quite expensive for even a regular daycare center or a kindergarten, let alone a government one.

Do you mean it's a 시립 어린이집? Because those are the ones that are ran by the local government, and they are they cheapest option available. Usually a couple of manwon/month, so almost free. When my son was 4 (Korean age) the basic fee was 9,000/month! That's right, not even manwon. A few extras came on top of that each month for field trips and outings but even with those we paid 30,000-40,000 on average. Now he is a bit older and the basic fee went up so we pay like 40,000/month+again a few manwon for the outings. The basic fee increased because older children have more extra classes such as English, art and whatnot, taught by other teachers, not the daycare's staff.
We have other places in the area and they are private institutes but accredited by the authorities, therefore eligible for governemnt subsidy. At those places parents pay 180k-250k/month out of their pocket and the rest is funded by the government. Kindergartens are a bit more pricey at around 300k-350k/month. There is a place near us that is not eligible for government subsidy so the whole fee should be paid by the parents and they charge 410/month. So I don't quite understand how you pay that much. Because your child stays from morning till evening and not the typical 9:30 to 4:00? I doubt those few extra hours would increase the cost that much. Or do you even qualify for the subsidy? I mean your child has to be Korean in order to qualify I guess.
Coltronator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah Lazio is correct. A full government subsidized Kindergarden or Daycare will be really cheap 20k to kinda cheap 100k per month.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: