Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Remote island jobs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr.Mulder2

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:06 am    Post subject: Remote island jobs Reply with quote

I've lived on lovely islands like Jeju and Geoje (not exactly remote), but lately I've been entertaining the idea returning to Korea to work on a small island. I'd also consider remote peninsulas. I know of foreign teachers on Geomun-do and Chuja-do, but does anyone know of other small islands with job opportunities for English teachers? Way back when I saw an advert for a job on Deokjeok-do, but nothing lately. That'd be cool. (Insert Dokdo joke here)Shocked
Cheers.
Mr.Mulder2

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Member Dave's ESL Cafe? I 'member.
SeoulNate

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really sure what you are looking for people to say.

Yes, there are jobs out there, they pop up from time to time (usually on craigslist I would say).

No, i doubt many people on these boards are familiar with openings.
Mr.Mulder2

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help.
Guajiro

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Remote island jobs Reply with quote

Mr.Mulder2 wrote:
I've lived on lovely islands like Jeju and Geoje (not exactly remote), but lately I've been entertaining the idea returning to Korea to work on a small island. I'd also consider remote peninsulas. I know of foreign teachers on Geomun-do and Chuja-do, but does anyone know of other small islands with job opportunities for English teachers? Way back when I saw an advert for a job on Deokjeok-do, but nothing lately. That'd be cool. (Insert Dokdo joke here)Shocked
Cheers.

I recall taking the ferry to Sapsido island years back, and walking by what looked like a small elementary school on a nice lush property and thinking I'd like to work at that school some day. Never did. I wonder if you applied to the Chungcheongnam-do Office of Education they'd be able to put you in an island school like that.

You could check with a public school recruiter like Korean Horizons.
weigook744

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to apply for the Jeollanam do office if you want a more isolated island experience. Even then, it could be hard to get to the mainland. I'd consider it for a year if the education office built or renovated a house for me. I'd need some space as much of the year, I'd be indoors due to lousy weather and be bored out of my tree. I'd have to order in, etc. Getting off the island would be hard. SO, I'd expect some extra 'unofficial' vacation to do it. But being stuck in a room in an isolated place. No thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: