Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Issues Getting Offers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bzheng

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:07 pm    Post subject: Issues Getting Offers Reply with quote

Hey guys,

I wanted to teach in Korea, so I got all my visa documents ready, and started spamming recruiters. I'm interested in hagwons.

But the majority of recruiters either don't respond at all, respond with shitty job offers with really long hours, or respond with an initial interview and I never hear from them again.

About a week ago, I saw two really attractive job postings by recruiters, so I contacted them, did an interview, only to never hear from them again, which seems super unprofessional, and makes me question whether the jobs postings were even real in the first place.

I realize that recruiters make money from the schools, and they don't really care, but what's the point of doing a pointless interview with someone you have no intention of placing, leaving them with false hopes, and then just ghosting them?

I tried contacting the schools directly (supposedly) through job boards (the ones that seem decent) and have spammed about 50+ different schools with a cover letter and all, and never heard back from them or anything.

So it has been about three weeks, and I've yet to heard back from anyone with the exception of a few shitty jobs offers pushing CDI and kindys with 9 working hours per day -_-

I'm looking to leave asap and I know the timing is probably not the best, but just wondering if my experience is the norm or highly unusual?

I am of Asian ethnicity which probably does make a difference, but to this extent? I'm from Canada and have a Canadian passport. My qualifications are the standard BA, 120 hour TESOL degree, and I have little/no experience.

What more/different approach can I take?
Guajiro

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Issues Getting Offers Reply with quote

bzheng wrote:
Hey guys,

I wanted to teach in Korea, so I got all my visa documents ready, and started spamming recruiters. I'm interested in hagwons.

But the majority of recruiters either don't respond at all, respond with shitty job offers with really long hours, or respond with an initial interview and I never hear from them again.

About a week ago, I saw two really attractive job postings by recruiters, so I contacted them, did an interview, only to never hear from them again, which seems super unprofessional, and makes me question whether the jobs postings were even real in the first place.

I realize that recruiters make money from the schools, and they don't really care, but what's the point of doing a pointless interview with someone you have no intention of placing, leaving them with false hopes, and then just ghosting them?

I tried contacting the schools directly (supposedly) through job boards (the ones that seem decent) and have spammed about 50+ different schools with a cover letter and all, and never heard back from them or anything.

So it has been about three weeks, and I've yet to heard back from anyone with the exception of a few shitty jobs offers pushing CDI and kindys with 9 working hours per day -_-

I'm looking to leave asap and I know the timing is probably not the best, but just wondering if my experience is the norm or highly unusual?

I am of Asian ethnicity which probably does make a difference, but to this extent? I'm from Canada and have a Canadian passport. My qualifications are the standard BA, 120 hour TESOL degree, and I have little/no experience.

You'd probably have better luck with public schools, but I've known a few Asian Canadians who got placed in hagwons with OK Recruiting (http://www.opportunitykorea.com/) and Travel and Teach Recruiting (https://www.travelandteachrecruiting.com/).

You could try inquiring with those agencies. If you are being picky about location and saying you only want to teach in cities X, Y, Z, then that could be hurting your chances as well. If you are open to anywhere and everywhere that would improve your odds.

Good luck!
JohnML

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Issues Getting Offers Reply with quote

bzheng wrote:
Hey guys,

Welcome to teaching English in Korea, 2017 edition, soon to be teaching English throughout Asia in a decade or two. The only advice I have for you is patience.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: