Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How do you meet foreign friends?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leewchris

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:40 am    Post subject: How do you meet foreign friends? Reply with quote

Aside from language exchange, are there any other ways to meet new foreign friends in Korea?

Maybe phone apps?
Thanks.
crescent

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go downtown and hold up a 'free hugs' sign.
Drew345

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I saw your title I thought you meant trying to meet other foreigners.

I think the key is to find friends with the same interests, rather than people interested in learning English. But it is not easy since Korean meetup sites are just in Korean. Maybe pick a hobby, and try to search Daum or Naver cafe on the Naver Band app for for that hobby. Joining cafe's is not always easy as foreigner ARC numbers or phone registration doesn't always work. Then post on that board (in English OK) that you are looking for friends. At least that way your common interest is first.

Instead of Daum or Naver you could use the Meetup app. You are likely to meet someone with interest in English first and common hobby second, but still a lot of good people there and that common hobby goes a long way.
Rteacher

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're open to becoming more vegetarian, join the "Seoul Veggie Club" that was started by expats in Korea to facilitate their finding vegetarian/vegan options but has also attracted over a couple thousand native Koreans, many of whom want to interact with foreigners to practice their English-speaking skills. https://www.facebook.com/groups/seoulveggieclub/
PRagic

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a lot of individual FB pages for different cities and regions in Korea.

If you're in a bigger city and don't mind pubs, that's one way to meet people. Connected to this, you could join the pool or dart leagues.

A lot of people I know are into swing or Latin dancing. Take classes.

Most 'Gu' have civic/rec centers that hold craft classes.

Join a gym.

Go hiking on the same mountain every weekend for a couple of months.
Milwaukiedave

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The website Meetup is pretty helpful in terms of finding groups. Part of the problem is some of the groups are pretty lethargic and no one shows up. I have been part of the Bucheon group and there are over 300 members now. Trying to get two people to show up is like pulling teeth.
SuperfuzzBigmuff

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rteacher wrote:
If you're open to becoming more vegetarian, join the "Seoul Veggie Club" that was started by expats in Korea to facilitate their finding vegetarian/vegan options but has also attracted over a couple thousand native Koreans, many of whom want to interact with foreigners to practice their English-speaking skills. https://www.facebook.com/groups/seoulveggieclub/

Do you mean speak with Koreans so they can get a free English lesson? Why? I like to get paid for that.

Live and let live I suppose.
World Traveler

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperfuzzBigmuff wrote:
speak with Koreans so they can get a free English lesson? Why? I like to get paid for that.
Exactly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: