Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Have you been to Boracay?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Karinja

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:42 am    Post subject: Have you been to Boracay? Reply with quote

Hi I've been to the Philippines a few times already but I've never been to Boracay because some blogs say it's too touristy which I don't like. But...

I keep seeing very nice pictures of the place (for example on this website https://boracaycompass.com/ ), so I wonder, is Boracay really a tourist trap like some bloggers say?

It's confusing, because some people seem to love the island, while others seem to hate it...

The thing is, I don't want to book a vacation there and then find out I hate it. But I'm really curious about the place.

Anyone else who was not sure about Boracay went there before?

\How did you like it? Is it really too touristy or is it still a nice place?

Thanks for any feedback.
thrylos

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it is both touristy and nice, and overrun by Koreans and Chinese, especially in July/August and probably the most expensive place in the Phils. However, I prefer it to Alona/Bohol/Cebu (better beaches) and easier to get to and more to do compared to Palawan. Wouldn't recommend the diving there, though.

That said, there are still some decent places to 'get away' from the crowds.
Dinwiddy beach is more upscale, but definitely quieter. You should definitely check out Puka beach at the north of the island. It is a 'national park', so there's no hotels or major development there, just a restaurant or two and you can easily find a stretch of beach where you'll be the only one (mostly).
On the main strip, station 3 is a bit more laid back than stations 1/2. Red Pirate bar is a cool, chilled place with the nicest crowd in evening/night.

If all that is still too much for you, look at going to the next island over, Carabao island. About 40 minutes by banka and hardly any tourists in sight. I ended up staying at the mayor's house at the port and was the only white face for 2 days. It is the island you see across the channel if you're at Puka Beach.
ttompatz

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boracay is great for 3-days up to about a week.
After that it is same 'ol, same 'ol and gets dull pretty quick.

It is overrun with Korean/Chinese tourists during their school vacation breaks and in the off-season the wind blows onto the beach bringing all the sea-trash with it.

The rest of the year it is like any other tourist destination with lots of people doing their level best to part you from your money (usually at two to 10 times more than you pay on Panay for the same thing/service).

If you want a nice, long, shallow sloping, white beach then it fits the bill.
If you want parties, drinking and dancing at night then OK.
If you want peace and quiet then nope.

watergirl

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi..
I've been to Boracay recently, and it really isoverrun with people. and super expensive.
That said, it is quick to get to directly,

I would go to 3rd beach.. At the very, very , end quite a lot nicer, fewer people, and a great Japanese restaurant and mexican restaurant.
Philipino food is not that great to be honest..

Treehouse and Eldamarions, have nice, cheap, and friendly , more chilled out vibe places to stay.

PS: try to not book southwest tours if going there. Go on your own, direct flight.. simply walk out and ctach your own bus. Get on the ferry yourself. and catch a van to the main port, and a motorbike guy to your hotel..

Southwest tours is recommended on line, but they make you wait ages cause they're trying to get more passangers.

Philipinos all speak English, so you don't need this silly service.!
Karinja

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info everyone, I think I'm just going to book a trip and see what the fuss is all about! Smile
Maxg4

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No i haven't been there ever but through reading your conversation i got great stuff and that will be useful for me while i'll plan my trip to Boracay may be i will plan after finishing my trips from san francisco.
Dokdoiskorean

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really enjoyed it there. The beach and resort areas are beautiful, but if you scratch the surface only a little bit, you can see the environmental damage that has been done. On top of the hovel-like conditions the locals live in.

I'd say go and enjoy it before it becomes inaccessible.
Maxg4

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say Brocery is a fantastic place I have been there for numerous of times and still, I am willing to have a tour there for once again and going to share its lovely views with you and I am sure people will enjoy those views.

http://cdn.touropia.com/gfx/d/best-island-reefs-around-the-world/boracay.jpg?v=1
http://foundtheworld.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/Boracay-Island-3.jpg
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: