Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Customs Problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brimarie95

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:08 am    Post subject: Customs Problem Reply with quote

Hi everyone! I have a winter jacket coming to me from a US website. It's in customs in Incheon, and I've literally given them every number I have to give- ARC, PASSPORT, PIN number I got on the customs website, tracking number, postal code and I filled out the simplified customs form they sent me, but the customs guy is telling me he needs a postal number which is 13 digits for example EA0000000000US or a simplified 6 digit postal number. Anyone have any idea where I can find this number? My jacket has been in customs for 6 days. Thanks in advance!
PRagic

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should be a 6 digit postal code on any mail addressed to you at your residence. It'll look like xxx-xxx. Some areas have switched to a 5 digit postal code. For either, you can just stop by your local post office and ask. Good luck!
thrylos

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look up your postal code here.

http://www.epost.go.kr/roadAreaCdEng.retrieveRdEngAreaCdList.comm
brimarie95

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you both for the help, but unfortunately they're not looking for a postal code (I gave them the old and new format). I have no idea what they're looking for and neither do my Korean co-teachers. Sad
PRagic

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have one of your co-teachers call them.
BigBuds

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He may be asking for your Customs ID number which is your Alien Registration number without any spaces and is 13 digits long.

If you submit you Alien Registration number with the dash in the middle it seems to confuse them for some unknown reason.
Marinx

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Find out who the shipper is and call them directly for more help, they may have an alternate tracking# you can give to customs.
CentralCali

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PRagic wrote:
Should be a 6 digit postal code on any mail addressed to you at your residence. It'll look like xxx-xxx. Some areas have switched to a 5 digit postal code. For either, you can just stop by your local post office and ask. Good luck!

The entire country has switched to the 5-digit ZIP code.
BigBuds

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CentralCali wrote:
PRagic wrote:

The entire country has switched to the 5-digit ZIP code.

But websites like Gmarket and 11th Street are still only accepting the old post codes for orders. Their sites won't accept the new post codes.
brimarie95

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies everyone! I appreciate it! My coat is finally on its way to me. It was shipped with DHL and is being transported by Ace Express in Korea. Ace express called customs on my behalf to see what the issue was and it turns out customs didn’t need any more info from me, they were just being shady. All they needed to do was send me the bank account number to pay duty and tax. It’s a pretty pricy coat that my Mom ordered for me as a Christmas gift so maybe someone at customs just really wanted to keep the coat 😬
lawyertood

Location: Seoul, Incheon and the World--working undercover for the MOJ

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What they were probably asking for was an import PIN. I've had to submit one a few times on things ordered. https://ruralkorealiving.wordpress.com/2014/10/02/the-new-korean-import-laws-i-parcel-portal-customs-go-kr-and-what-to-do/

Glad you got things sorted.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: