Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What Would You Say About Korean Food When You Return?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OopsIMadeIt

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:53 am    Post subject: What Would You Say About Korean Food When You Return? Reply with quote

I say "I loved the food" when I meet people who want to ask me what Korea was like. "Korean BBQ is fantastic". This I say because it really was the most singularly unique—socially, culturally and gastronomically—experience I'd had in my life when I worked there. The food really was delicious and the experience memorable going out with all the students and coworkers and feasting out cross-legged while sitting on the floor.

But I look back and think twice; was the food really good? If so, why didn't I continue the diet—rice, kimchi, kimbab, bibimbap, bulgogi etc? I then think this.

It was too unique. You have to be Korean, or marry a Korean, to continue with the authentic diet they've developed. Other diets have carried over to the U.S., that is Chinese, Mexican, Italian, and even Japanese. But Korean lags behind, gets kicked off the menu of American minds who visit there, and is pretty much put down.

What do you think? What would you say about Korean food when you return? About the experience?
Wangja

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not the best thing about the place ...
PRagic

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korean food is really good. Like any cuisine, though, there are those who like it and those who don't.

I take my family out for Korean every time I visit the US. With few exceptions, those primarily being the uber fussy eaters in the lot, everyone says they like it, and several go back for more even without me.
young_clinton

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there anything better than Kimche Jigae or Budae Jigae in a basic food sense? Easy for the restaurant to prepare and cheap?
young_clinton

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who was it that posted that Korean food was bad meat and weeds? Laughing
Wangja

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

young_clinton wrote:

KeithinKorea? Long gone, but he used to refer to it as food crime.
northway

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: What Would You Say About Korean Food When You Return? Reply with quote

OopsIMadeIt wrote:
I say "I loved the food" when I meet people who want to ask me what Korea was like. "Korean BBQ is fantastic". This I say because it really was the most singularly unique—socially, culturally and gastronomically—experience I'd had in my life when I worked there. The food really was delicious and the experience memorable going out with all the students and coworkers and feasting out cross-legged while sitting on the floor.

But I look back and think twice; was the food really good? If so, why didn't I continue the diet—rice, kimchi, kimbab, bibimbap, bulgogi etc? I then think this.

It was too unique. You have to be Korean, or marry a Korean, to continue with the authentic diet they've developed. Other diets have carried over to the U.S., that is Chinese, Mexican, Italian, and even Japanese. But Korean lags behind, gets kicked off the menu of American minds who visit there, and is pretty much put down.

What do you think? What would you say about Korean food when you return? About the experience?

I've been gone for five years and kimchi is still a staple in my fridge. Most Korean food is pretty simple to prepare once you have the base ingredients around. The problem is that most foreign teachers never learn how to actually cook good Korean food for a variety of reasons.

As for cuisines carrying over, Korean food has blown up over the last decade so I wouldn't say that it hasn't "carried over".
Strode

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

young_clinton wrote:

Don't forget the crappy fish, too! Actually, I like some Korean food, some I never cared for. I like Chinese much more than Korean, much more variety.
curlyhoward

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

/
Chow Time
/
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's neither here nor there. Don't care if I ever have it again, don't care if I eat it next. I really don't think about it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: