Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

can I accept another job after giving my word to another?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
traveling_gypsy_tara

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:40 pm    Post subject: can I accept another job after giving my word to another? Reply with quote

Hello all, so my old school gave me my LOR, Yahoo!! But I have a question when I found out about the sale of my school and my last day I immediately started looking for jobs. I found one that I liked and accepted. I sent an email of this decision to them. I have also sent them the signed first page and last page of the contract. But....I have received another job offer for a much better position that offers long-term commitment and advancement, which I really want.

My question is this: Can I call the first school and tell them I no longer want the position (I would be very diplomatic) and accept the job offer form the second place? Or am I legally tied to the first school because of my email and page signed on an email contract?

Another thing is that the contract seems to be an old one that they didn't even update the dates on, it is dated August 14th. Also, it is only my signature the schools is not on it. And they only have a scanned version not the original

Thanks any knowledge would be helpful and I understand the ethical choices I would need to make will be difficult but having some more information about the law would be helpful in making that decision.
PRagic

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Call them and let them know that you are no longer interested in the position. Don't ask if it's OK for you to back out. They might be disgruntled, but from your description, you should be fine.
ttompatz

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IF you have not yet transferred your visa/ARC to the new employer then you are free to back away.

IF they have started the transfer process then it is problematic.
IF they have completed the transfer process then you need a new LOR. from the new employer.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: