Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

EPIK/E2 VISA Medical Check - should I be worried?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thannsran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:41 pm    Post subject: EPIK/E2 VISA Medical Check - should I be worried? Reply with quote

Hi there!

I’m due to start with EPIK in March and I’ve been doing research as to what to expect when I get there and I’ve been seeing lots of stories about a v invasive medical exam.

I wanted to know if anyone has experiences from 2016/17 intakes? I have a few questions about them if anyone could help or give a bit of a walk through so I know what to expect.

- I heard you have to fast prior the medical but then have two vials of blood taken? I’m worried about this as I tend to faint during blood tests (no idea where it came from, started the past few years, I’m not afraid of needles) and most of the time the doctors say I should have eaten more before having my bloods done. Also if I do faint, do you think it will be an issue? As I’ve read some horror stories of the doctors jumping to bad conclusions.

_is there an EKG? And if so do I have to be topless? I’ve read that some
People have been topless and I would rather not be.

- I have an extra tattoo that hasn’t been disclosed as it was after the recruitment process and it’s covered by my bra so didn’t think I need to be worried, however I read the medical looks for undocumented tattoos and again, if I’m topless for the ekg or x Ray they would see, they would also see my nipple piercing which I also didn’t disclose - again because I’m hardly gonna have my boobs out in class.

- finally, I’ve heard a lot of random things can set off the urine test and I’m worried as we will be on anti malaria Tablets as we are currently traveling SE Asia and they need to be taken a period after.

Thank you for any help and questions! It seems online research has got me all worked up!
denverdeath

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My info may not be the best as it's a bit dated. When I worked for epik, I wasn't required to do a medical. I had to the next year when I began work at a university(about 12 years ago). From what I know, the tests I received were quite similar to the ones required by epik.

So. You have to get eyes, blood pressure, hearing, and teeth checked...same as one I had done last week. You have to give urine and blood. This is mainly for them to check for drugs or diseases like diabetes, hep A or B , etc. I HATE those HUGE needles they use for the process! For me, the best thing to do is turn my head, don't look, and say, "Ow!" when needle's put in. Not saying I'm tough, but never fainted before. Nearly did at a dentist here once though. Anyhow, same as one I had done last week. Yes, you're supposed to fast. You need to have an xray as well, mainly for checking tb or other lung problems. Same as I had done last week. With xray, leave your nipple stuff at home. It will be a problem with the xray, and you'll likely be asked to remove them and have to have ANOTHER shot of rays. Ek/cg. Not sure. I've had two done here over the years. I've not been asked to do them lately, but that may just be because of where I worked. The first time, 12 years ago, I was given pajamas to change into. However, tbey still had to attach stuff to my chest. Those hospital techs will care NOTHING about a tattoo, if they even see it. Second time I had one done, my hairy chest seemed a BIG issue for them and no attachments would hold for more than a few seconds. Smile Not sure about the malaria tabs.
Thannsran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

denverdeath wrote:
My info may not be the best as it's a bit dated. When I worked for epik, I wasn't required to do a medical. I had to the next year when I began work at a university(about 12 years ago). From what I know, the tests I received were quite similar to the ones required by epik.

So. You have to get eyes, blood pressure, hearing, and teeth checked...same as one I had done last week. You have to give urine and blood. This is mainly for them to check for drugs or diseases like diabetes, hep A or B , etc. I HATE those HUGE needles they use for the process! For me, the best thing to do is turn my head, don't look, and say, "Ow!" when needle's put in. Not saying I'm tough, but never fainted before. Nearly did at a dentist here once though. Anyhow, same as one I had done last week. Yes, you're supposed to fast. You need to have an xray as well, mainly for checking tb or other lung problems. Same as I had done last week. With xray, leave your nipple stuff at home. It will be a problem with the xray, and you'll likely be asked to remove them and have to have ANOTHER shot of rays. Ek/cg. Not sure. I've had two done here over the years. I've not been asked to do them lately, but that may just be because of where I worked. The first time, 12 years ago, I was given pajamas to change into. However, tbey still had to attach stuff to my chest. Those hospital techs will care NOTHING about a tattoo, if they even see it. Second time I had one done, my hairy chest seemed a BIG issue for them and no attachments would hold for more than a few seconds. Smile Not sure about the malaria tabs.

Ahhh okay that calms me down a bit! I think I’m definitely going to faint though haha, hopefully they don’t take it too badly and are used to it! Okay glad about the tattoo too that’s reassuring!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: