Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

There is/are when using a noun series.
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
denverdeath

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like canada set us ALL straight! Smile

http://www.btb.termiumplus.gc.ca/tpv2guides/guides/wrtps/index-eng.html?lang=eng&lettr=indx_catlog_v&page=9SC4lWsaAlSw.html

Aaaaaarrrgh! Koreans right AGAIN! Actually we're ALL right! Har har...

"Exception

An exception occurs when there is a list of nouns as subject. Logically, a list of two or more items would be plural and would therefore require a plural verb:

There are a punch bowl, finger foods and a cake on the table.

But it sounds odd to have are next to the singular noun phrase a punch bowl. The verb is would sound better:

There is a punch bowl, finger foods and a cake on the table.

So which of these sentences is correct? The answer is both. The first one follows the standard rule. But the second is also accepted, and many writers would prefer it because it sounds more natural. Therefore, when the subject after there is or there are is a list of items, you can make your verb agree with the first noun in the list.

Note: Although there is or there are constructions are useful in some situations, some writers prefer to reword the sentence. If you decide to reword and put the list before the verb, you must make the verb agree with the plural list (and not just the closest item):

A punch bowl, finger foods and a cake are on the table."

Shocked
nicwr2002

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

denverdeath wrote:
Looks like canada set us ALL straight! Smile

http://www.btb.termiumplus.gc.ca/tpv2guides/guides/wrtps/index-eng.html?lang=eng&lettr=indx_catlog_v&page=9SC4lWsaAlSw.html

Aaaaaarrrgh! Koreans right AGAIN! Actually we're ALL right! Har har...

"Exception

An exception occurs when there is a list of nouns as subject. Logically, a list of two or more items would be plural and would therefore require a plural verb:

There are a punch bowl, finger foods and a cake on the table.

But it sounds odd to have are next to the singular noun phrase a punch bowl. The verb is would sound better:

There is a punch bowl, finger foods and a cake on the table.

So which of these sentences is correct? The answer is both. The first one follows the standard rule. But the second is also accepted, and many writers would prefer it because it sounds more natural. Therefore, when the subject after there is or there are is a list of items, you can make your verb agree with the first noun in the list.

Note: Although there is or there are constructions are useful in some situations, some writers prefer to reword the sentence. If you decide to reword and put the list before the verb, you must make the verb agree with the plural list (and not just the closest item):

A punch bowl, finger foods and a cake are on the table."

Shocked

Yea, that's what I've found too. Some grammar books state that using 'is' is the correct grammar choice while other grammar books say that 'are' is the correct usage.

They basically called out all of the foreigners and said that we were all teaching the students wrong. I showed them various respectable grammar books that stated the case for and against them, but they wouldn't accept that there could be two right answers.

From what I've found, North America uses 'is' for nouns in a series and other countries use 'are' for nouns in a series. Most hagwons teach American English, so I don't understand the problem. It's like using an Oxford comma or not using one. Both cases are correct.
Chaucer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's prescriptive, the grammar mentioned that is.
SuperfuzzBigmuff

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If a Korean English teacher is giving you grief about grammar, just get them to try and produce some sentences themselves. They are good at finding faults in other people’s writing, but they can’t even write a short paragraph without errors. One of my co-teachers, who keeps reminding me that she has a Masters in English, has the written skills of a primary school student.
young_clinton

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Are" is the correct usage for a list of items like that.
nicwr2002

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

young_clinton wrote:
"Are" is the correct usage for a list of items like that.

North American textbooks state that 'is' is used if the first noun in the series is singular though. Different textbooks state that 'are' is correct and another book states that 'is' is informal and that 'are' is formal. My main gripe about this situation is the Korean teachers and management are saying that NETs are just flat wrong. So, I needed to find an actual link to a grammar book that stated my position. I found plenty for and against the usage of 'is.' If they want to follow an English book that says 'are' is appropriate, then that's fine. However, they don't need to say to us that we are just wrong.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: