Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wanting job in 'dream' coastal city. Ideas?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stine3

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:32 am    Post subject: Wanting job in 'dream' coastal city. Ideas? Reply with quote

I lived in Gangneung a few years ago and really, really loved it. Now I live outside of Seoul and can't wait to leave it.
Looking at cities all over the SK coast and it's hard to tell what life is really like there. I need 'the hive' mind for advice! If you know of an awesome coastal city, could you let me know the name and answer the following questions?

Just a heads-up, I'm not looking for a big city. Sorry Busan lovers! I like that small(ish) town feel. Smile

1. How accessible is the beach?
2. How accessible are the mountains/hiking?
3. What is the foreign community like?
4. How is the nightlife? This includes foreigner friendly and Korean bars.
6. How are the attitudes towards wagooks, generally speaking?
7. From your experience and other foreigners you know, how would you describe your living situation (aka: apartment)?
8. One cool thing you discovered in the city

Any help would be much appreciated! I've searched through many posts, but haven't been able to find one that is general enough for just 'coastal.' Plus, Korea changes so fast, so an updated post may be nice for other wanderers out there too!

Thank you kindly!
schwa

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sokcho! Similar to Gangneung but nicer. I spent 15 happy years there.
Stine3

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:55 pm    Post subject: Thanks Schwa! Reply with quote

Thanks! I've been going back and forth about Sokcho for years. I always said that if I ever moved back to Korea I would move to Sokcho. Then I thought I should give more of chance to the southern side. Cool
SuperfuzzBigmuff

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeosu - the Naples of the Orient!

I've spent a decent amount of time there. Lots of hikes, decent beach, beach camping, islands to explore and camp on, a few bars but the locals seemed pretty backwards and anti-foreigner, but that was probably due to being with a K woman. Milder winters than the rest of Korea and it stays warmer for longer after summer.
wonkavite62

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:17 am    Post subject: About Coastal Cities Reply with quote

I used to live in Yeosu. I liked some aspects of it, such as the beautiful scenery, especially in the spring. It is possible to go on hiking trips from Yeosu, and there is a famous temple on one of the islands or peninsulas nearby. Notice, it is also possible to go on a trip to some of the further away islands from the ferry terminal. Some of these islands have beaches. Yeosu also boasts a number of good seafood restaurants, which I thoroughly enjoyed.
However, I had been in Korea before. I had lived in a small city in Chungcheongbukdo, and made friends with Koreans and locals. In Yeosu, the locals were just not really communicative. I think it was a case of family, family,, family. The western people (at that time) were not very communicative at all, except for 2 individuals. I ended up spending weekends away.
I sometimes wondered if people were less friendly because Yeosu was so very spread out, and there were logistical issues.
Stine3

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:25 pm    Post subject: Re: About Coastal Cities Reply with quote

wonkavite62 wrote:
I used to live in Yeosu. I liked some aspects of it, such as the beautiful scenery, especially in the spring.....
I sometimes wondered if people were less friendly because Yeosu was so very spread out, and there were logistical issues.

Yeosu looked really appealing, but then I saw a few reviews that said the city is very spread out. Many recommended getting a car if you move to Yeosu; I'm not trying to drive in Korea. lol.
Thanks for the info. everyone!
denverdeath

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeosu has lots of buses. Figure out the routes and go all over the city with ease!

https://m.map.naver.com/bus/search.nhn?tab=BUS_ROUTE&query=여수+버스노선

Especially if it's a place that appeals to you for numerous reasons.
Stine3

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

denverdeath wrote:
Yeosu has lots of buses. Figure out the routes and go all over the city with ease!

Buses are always good! I'm wondering how long it would take to get across the city by bus though. Like how spread out is Yeosu actually? Does it take 30 minutes to ride a bus across or two hours? Some cities the bus system is wonderful and in others it can be more of a headache. Not trying to be negative, but rather honestly curious.
denverdeath

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stine3 wrote:
denverdeath wrote:

Buses are always good! I'm wondering how long it would take to get across the city by bus though. Like how spread out is Yeosu actually? Does it take 30 minutes to ride a bus across or two hours? Some cities the bus system is wonderful and in others it can be more of a headache. Not trying to be negative, but rather honestly curious.

Sorry, but I don't know. Have never lived or been there. Like any city, they'll be slower during rush hour. The place is only 100km2 smaller than seoul, but that means little. Pretty sure still no subway, which I feel is a huge disadvantage during those bad times. Scooter? I had one long ago and always found it cheap and useful. I no longer drive, but that's not an issue in Busan. Thanks for bringing the discussion up though! Think next summer's vacation will be there... Laughing
SuperfuzzBigmuff

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stine3 wrote:
denverdeath wrote:

Many buses going all over the city. Max 20-30min from one side to the other.
SuperfuzzBigmuff

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

denverdeath wrote:
Stine3 wrote:
denverdeath wrote:

Sorry, but I don't know. Have never lived or been there. Like any city, they'll be slower during rush hour. The place is only 100km2 smaller than seoul, but that means little. Pretty sure still no subway, which I feel is a huge disadvantage during those bad times. Scooter? I had one long ago and always found it cheap and useful. I no longer drive, but that's not an issue in Busan. Thanks for bringing the discussion up though! Think next summer's vacation will be there... Laughing

Check out:

the cable car (it's worth it)
Street art on the hill near Jinnamgwan
Islands like Hawhado/Gaedo
Beaches, mountains and Hyangiram Hermitage
Dolsan bridge at night
Odong island
Soho-dong
Dolsan Island
denverdeath

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx for the tips! Should have more than enough time to check all recs out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: