Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

For Those Who Have Taught Adults in Other Asian Countries
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mosley

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zed: TECO was a tad "defeatist", IMHO, but his basic point about teaching in E. Asia is bang on...the fight we face is as much cultural as it is linguistic. So plan exercises, activities, etc. for your classes but at the end of the day if the deadwood pieces don't come alive it ain't on your head-not you or any of us are going to change cultural norms that have formed over many centuries....
TECO

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zed,

I break larger classes down into smaller groups to try and ease the pressure on Ss of having to 'perform' in front of a large group, pairing stronger and wearker Ss together, I try to use a variety of activities/techiniques (moving around/white board/realia and photos, etc) to appeal to Ss different learning styles and interests - most don't like student-centred activities or need to learn how to participate in them.

I always give an example when I set up an activity. I use closed questions to check comprehension and give feedback for good/bad language and really try to praise Ss when they deserve it. I've read the '10 Commandments of Good Language Learners' from Brown (2001) and have epmhasized that it is important to make mistakes, etc, etc. I play Chopin or some classical music to relax Ss during 'freer' practice activities.

I've tried to learn as much as I can about Japan/Korea/Taiwan culture in an attempt to pesonalize activities more for Ss. I make some of my own activities or adapt them from books that I've used before to try and make them more interesting.

I try to emphasize that it's okay for Ss express their ideas freely in lass without fear of being criticised.

I try to build a good rapport with Ss. I talk to them in the hallway and help them with questions. I show interest in them, their progress and culture, etc, etc. I have told them about the advantages of learning a foreign language - not only English but Jpaanese, chinese, etc. I've humiliated myself in class by asking Ss to speak Chinese to me and to watch me answer their questions.

I really try to cover all my bases from what I've learned in teaching practice and study of methodology but it still isn't good enough in motivating N.E. Asian Ss in class.

Tradition is what is holding the Japanese, Chinese and Koreans back from becoming better language learners. They refuse to accept responsibility for their learning and do not want autonomy in the learning process. They want to be given 'everything.' They dislike learning through exploration and are uncomfortable working cooperatively.

They want to memorize complex grammatical rules, drills, listen and repeat and to sit in their desks and to translate sentences and to highlight the grammar. The teacher must correct every mistake Ss make. Ss should not speak unless spoken to by the teacher. To them, a good English teacher will focus on these things.

Well, this isn't working for them, is it.

Their notions of education and Teacher / Student relationships first need to change before they can become better language learners.
Zed

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that very in depth and comprehensive reply. There are certainly some areas there in which I can improve. Others are things that I do but am frustrated with the seeming lack of results.

I am relatively new to teaching adults though and still mostly teach children. After this week my only adult students will be one-on-one on the internet again. This class has been a nice diversion from the tedium of internet teaching.
TECO

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL!!

Man, I really hate writing such long posts.
the saint

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a lot of experience with adults both in Japan and now Korea. Japan is no the place for you if you find blank stares and one word answers demotivating... just in case you contemplate moving there.

Compared to my Japanese students, I find Koreans much more willing to volunteer info but these tend to be the younger ones and also there tend to be about four or five in every batch of 15 I teach that I can rely on to get things going.

I spend maybe 90% of each class in group or pair work because of this. Actually, I find those who speak out will often sit together so the group work is better for this or all the responses are coming from one area of the class.

Humour and giving clear instructions, demonstrating what you want them to produce are the ways that I elicit stuff when I do do classwork but it can really be tough - especially if it is the first activity of the class.
Zed

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have a lot of experience with adults both in Japan and now Korea. Japan is no the place for you if you find blank stares and one word answers demotivating... just in case you contemplate moving there.

I do find it demotivating. It takes a lot of the pleasure out of teaching for me. Maybe I should go back to Spain and try to work illegally and at least enjoy the teaching even if making a living doing so is that much more difficult. I guess it's a trade off: decent pay or job satisfaction.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: