Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korean jobs pay low and seem to have long hours these days
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Great Toad

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:00 am    Post subject: Korean jobs pay low and seem to have long hours these days Reply with quote

I am not impressed with the wages in Korea- nor the hours. 2,200,000 million (2,000 US Dollars) Korean Won to work 8 hours and 15 minutes a day? I guess I lack the energy and motivation to drive through a solid smile freeze time of 5-6 English Tourist classes. It would be great if you were really a dynamo and all charisma since you would never see the same Korean Village tourist again after their week or day tour was done.

http://www.eslcafe.com/jobs/korea/index.cgi?read=74024

I looked at some Korean job recruiter web pages and they offer the flat rate of 2 million to a few 2.6 million as well. 2,6 million is really only like 2,200 dollars after Korean tax and health care gets taken out.

But generally I do not understand why anyone would go work in Korea these days over a job in Thailand or Vietnam that would also pay 2000 dollars a month and offer a cheaper lifestyle. Maybe I missing the good 10 hour a week 2,500,000 Won university teaching jobs that make people come work in Korea.

please give me a PM if you find a 2.6+ Million job at a girls high school I can teach in that will entail the Korean teachers constantly canceling my classes so I end up only teaching 12-15 classes a week like in my last Korean experience.

I am still angry I was not rehired on in South Korea 2 years ago when I reapplied. Yes, I made much more in Arab nations and now in my SE Asia job but I do not see why the EPIK program turned me down when I was willing to work for a paltry 2.5 or 2.6 pay level. I think I am going to sue the EPIK Seoul office for discrimination against old experienced white guy teachers in the Hague International Court.
SuperfuzzBigmuff

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I returned to Korea on 2.5 mill with an extra 150,000 in the public school system.

I think 2.0 mill in Korea is better than $2,000 in Vietnam or Thailand as those countries don't offer the "golden hanshake". That being pension, entry and exit allowance, bonus. You get the same coin every month, too; as opposed to hourly work in VN and Thailand.

I work about 17 hours a week and I'm severely underworked.
Chia Pet

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperfuzzBigmuff wrote:
I returned to Korea on 2.5 mill with an extra 150,000 in the public school system.

I think 2.0 mill in Korea is better than $2,000 in Vietnam or Thailand as those countries don't offer the "golden hanshake". That being pension, entry and exit allowance, bonus. You get the same coin every month, too; as opposed to hourly work in VN and Thailand.

You're lucky to have your unusually cushy job, and have no business telling people who are busting their asses teaching kids at hagwons that they should get no more than 2.1 (I'm referring to another thread). Have a nice day.
SuperfuzzBigmuff

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chia Pet wrote:
SuperfuzzBigmuff wrote:

You're lucky to have your unusually cushy job, and have no business telling people who are busting their asses teaching kids at hagwons that they should get no more than 2.1 (I'm referring to another thread). Have a nice day.

Everyone I know in the PS system has a cushy job. Personally, I find it very unsatisfying and will move on soon to start a job that is a better fit for my experience and will be an interesting experience.

If you're busting your ass off teaching kids, perhaps it's time to step up and do something about it. I suggest doing a CELTA for starters.

Indeed, have a good day, too.
ttompatz

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chia Pet wrote:
SuperfuzzBigmuff wrote:

So you have an E2 ... get a TEFL cert and get into the PS system or get a PGCE and get into an international school.

Hagwons are only good for your first year while you get your feet wet, learn the lay of the land, figure out which way is up and where the bear *beep* in the woods.

Anyone who stays longer ... well ... I guess they aren't as smart as they thought they were.

kpjf

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:49 am    Post subject: Re: Korean jobs pay low and seem to have long hours these da Reply with quote

The Great Toad wrote:
I am not impressed with the wages in Korea- nor the hours. 2,200,000 million (2,000 US Dollars) Korean Won to work 8 hours and 15 minutes a day? I guess I lack the energy and motivation to drive through a solid smile freeze time of 5-6 English Tourist classes. It would be great if you were really a dynamo and all charisma since you would never see the same Korean Village tourist again after their week or day tour was done.

http://www.eslcafe.com/jobs/korea/index.cgi?read=74024

I looked at some Korean job recruiter web pages and they offer the flat rate of 2 million to a few 2.6 million as well. 2,6 million is really only like 2,200 dollars after Korean tax and health care gets taken out.

But generally I do not understand why anyone would go work in Korea these days over a job in Thailand or Vietnam that would also pay 2000 dollars a month and offer a cheaper lifestyle. Maybe I missing the good 10 hour a week 2,500,000 Won university teaching jobs that make people come work in Korea.

please give me a PM if you find a 2.6+ Million job at a girls high school I can teach in that will entail the Korean teachers constantly canceling my classes so I end up only teaching 12-15 classes a week like in my last Korean experience.

I am still angry I was not rehired on in South Korea 2 years ago when I reapplied. Yes, I made much more in Arab nations and now in my SE Asia job but I do not see why the EPIK program turned me down when I was willing to work for a paltry 2.5 or 2.6 pay level. I think I am going to sue the EPIK Seoul office for discrimination against old experienced white guy teachers in the Hague International Court.

Sometimes on teaching forums people will write x country is much better, but is it really? Thailand, as I read is saturated with English teachers and thus if you don't have many qualifications you're not exactly going to be getting a decent salary. On top of that, aren't many teachers in Thailand working illegally? The last thing I want to be doing is working illegally. I don't know if Vietnam or Thailand are indeed better than SK. But, one thing is sure: the TEFL glory days are over for everyone!
kpjf

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ttompatz wrote:
or get a PGCE and get into an international school.

On Dave's people keep saying as a ''solution'' get a PGCE and get into international schools, but I just want to say it's not so easy.

1. You need a subject that you can actually teach / have knowledge of (EFL doesn't cut it) and for any decent uni you will need a degree in the subject or some kind of proof of your knowledge in that subject. If for example you did a degree in English you'll have a lot of competition for that PGCE place! I'm sure there are many TEFLers out there who simply cannot offer to teach a subject (maths, history, French, geography, PE and so on).

2 You'll need to go through loads of difficult interviews (trust me PGCE interviews at good unis are up there with the hardest job interview you've ever had).

3 Costs 9,000 GBP to do, you'll have no salary for a year and is a difficult and stressful year (your social life will be non-existent). But, on the positive side in England if your subject is a shortage one you can get up to a 25k bursary (e.g. if your subject is something like French or Maths and you have a 1st class honours degree)

4 To actually get a job in a proper international school after you will have to teach in your home country for I'd say 2 years or so then apply. I say that as some people do TEFL because they don't want to work in their home country.

However, in saying all of this I am glad to have done a PGCE and it's very useful to have. I just want to state that it's not as easy as 'do a pgce and get into international schools'. My intention on getting it was to have that piece of paper for some better jobs. My degree wasn't 100% in the subject I'm qualified to teach so realised I would be ineligible for good international schools as they will want a solid BA/BSc in the subject you're teaching.
BigBuds

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ttompatz wrote:
Chia Pet wrote:
SuperfuzzBigmuff wrote:

So you have an E2 ... get a TEFL cert and get into the PS system or get a PGCE and get into an international school.

Hagwons are only good for your first year while you get your feet wet, learn the lay of the land, figure out which way is up and where the bear *beep* in the woods.

Anyone who stays longer ... well ... I guess they aren't as smart as they thought they were.

But what if you've been here over 16 years and still work in a hagwon?

I guess I should mention that I own the hagwon I teach in, and another one as well Laughing .
ttompatz

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but not an option for 99.9% of TEFL teachers in Korea.

Wangja

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I guess I should mention that I own the hagwon I teach in, and another one as well Laughing .

/smirk on

/smirk off

Laughing
Chia Pet

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ttompatz wrote:

Someone isn't as smart as I thought they were. You're laying this crap now because I disagreed with you in another thread, when you ignorantly stated that there is not much abuse going on at Korean workplaces. Can't handle someone saying you're wrong? Did you obediently take more abuse than you can admit and I touched a nerve?

Actually I do have a TEFL certificate and have taught in a public school. My job wasn't that cushy from a financial perspective. It was not like SuperFuzzMuff's job. I made the same as at a typical hagwon. There were a lot more break times, but I still put in a lot of work because I felt I had to help the students. I think a good teacher can learn more and make more difference at a hagwon (a good one, that is), so some people find it more satisfying. It seems elitist for SuperFuzzMuff to say that he deserves his 2.8 while teachers at kids' hagwons should get no more than 2.1. His job could be cut out of the budget any year, by the way.

I like teaching and would rather end up like Big Buds than Ttompatz (most recently a school administrator in Thailand(?)).
young_clinton

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 3:14 am    Post subject: Re: Korean jobs pay low and seem to have long hours these da Reply with quote

The Great Toad wrote:
I think I am going to sue the EPIK Seoul office for discrimination against old experienced white guy teachers in the Hague International Court.
Laughing You can't, The Hague court doesn't take cases from individuals. Laughing
SuperfuzzBigmuff

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ChiaPet.

Having over 11 years of experience, 8 of them post-CELTA, I think 2.5 MINUMUM is OK for the PS in Korea. It's not my fault I was underused and that Korean high school students, well, my one's in a rural school at least, didn't give two hoots about speaking English.

If you've been in Korea a while and you're still teaching kids on 2.1, you've got no one but yourself to blame. That's for the Brads and Chads and Stacies straight out of Kansas with their useless degrees to do.

I am by no means elitist, but I do have certain expectations on account of my experience as a teacher. Most hagwons, not all, but most, involve teaching young learners which involves a little classroom management and high energy levels and thus those who teach in that context deserve to be paid peanuts.

I do think though, that some teachers who arrive green and who hang around the public system get overpaid. I met a girl just before I left Korea who was making more than I was as she had been in the system for longer. I doubt she could be thrown in any class in any context at any time like I could, but that's how the pay scale works; stick around and you're on decent money.
Biblethumper

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man does live by bread alone. We brought nothing into this world, and it is certain that we can carry nothing out. Having food and raiment let us be therewith content. For the love of money is the root of all evil.

Most teachers I have ever met in Korea treat their job like a McDonald's job: punch in, punch out, do the minimum and whine copiously.
SuperfuzzBigmuff

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Biblethumper wrote:
Man does live by bread alone. We brought nothing into this world, and it is certain that we can carry nothing out. Having food and raiment let us be therewith content. For the love of money is the root of all evil.

Most teachers I have ever met in Korea treat their job like a McDonald's job: punch in, punch out, do the minimum and whine copiously.

That’s because most jobs in Korea are McDonald’s jobs and should be treated accordingly.

The Devil finds work for idle hands.......oh Father how I have sinned; I’ve done F all for a full year on full pay and how I yearn for a proper day’s work.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: