Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

E2 Visa questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Annashi1993

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:26 am    Post subject: E2 Visa questions Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

I have a few questions, thank you all for your help!

1. Does notarized degree with a consular seal expire? I am currently residing in Toronto, Canada.

2. Assuming I have a F1 visa (which is the F4 spousal visa, according to Consulate General of Republic of Korea in Toronto), will I still be able to obtain an E2 visa to teach English?

3. Am I allowed to apply to teaching positions inside Korea with F1 visa and come back to Canada for E2 Visa?
PRagic

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is your F series visa still valid? Think they expire if you're out of the country for too long.

Why not just convert to an F5 and get the permanent residency? Then you don't need an E2.
Annashi1993

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello PRagic,

I don't have a F1 visa yet, but my boyfriend (Korean-Canadian with F4 visa) and I are thinking of getting married early next year. I am debating whether to get an E2 visa instead of F1 or vice versa. I am not sure if I am allowed to convert F1 to E2 after I move to Korea with him.

Thank you! Very Happy
PRagic

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Call the consulate. Have your boyfriend in Korea contact K immigration here. Always go straight to the source.

Not sure if you're allowed to work on an F1. If you can, problem solved. You could come on over and just get a job.
PRagic

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a discussion on the topic I found

https://www.reddit.com/r/korea/comments/6dx7mx/visa_stuff_f_series_visa_work_permit/
PRagic

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you can obtain a work permit to work on an F1, but it's a bit convoluted. I'd say call the consulate, give them your exact situation, and ask.

The upside to obtaining permission to work under an F1 is that you'll 'own your own visa'. If an employer situation goes south, you can simply quit, but stay in Korea.

On an E2, there's a process involved should you want to quit, and, depending on the situation, you may have to leave the country.

Again, read the FAQs and call the requisite authorities.
Annashi1993

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi PRagic,

Thank you for the help! Apparently, I was told I wouldn't be able to work under the spousal visa. But, I'm not sure if it is legal to apply for teaching positions within Korea and then come back to Canada for an E2 visa. Not sure if this is allowed or not.

From my other post, I'm actually not a Korean-Canadian, but rather Chinese-Canadian. Sad
PRagic

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure why they said you could get work permission on that visa in the other thread. Oh, well, go with what you learned directly from immigration. Check again, though, as info can vary from person to person. No joke.

Don't think ethnicity matters as long as you have the passport and degree from one of the accepted countries, and as long as you went to school there from middle school. If you're second generation on, not an issue.

If you're going for an E2, you're btetter off just saving your money and applying from Canada as you'll get the air fare. Hubby can check out any place that gives you an offer as he'll be here already.

Sounds like all your questions have been answered. Get those doc's in order and start lining up agencies. You can also apply directly if you see something that interests you. Good luck.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: