Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Elementary/Middle/High school position without EPIK?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Begin Again

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:28 pm    Post subject: Elementary/Middle/High school position without EPIK? Reply with quote

I really want to work someplace rural. I think that finding a public school position or university position in a rural area would be perfect, but finding that is the tricky part. I can't go with EPIK because I have a dog (14 years old and under 2 kg), and EPIK is anti-dog. Recruiters throw job listings at me, but none are rural. Most advertisements are for schools/universities in big cities, which makes sense as they would have more money to advertise than some place far from the big cities.

Sooooo....how do I find such a place?

For background, I grew up 20 minutes by car from a town of 23,000 (the "big" city in the area). I know what it is like to live somewhere that seemingly has nothing to do. I'm also great at entertaining myself and finding things to do. For example, I am a certified yoga instructor, an avid bookworm, and I have my own online store where I sell teaching materials that I create. I have zero interest in dating, bars, clubs, or any sort of nightlife outside of late night walks. I dislike shopping, am somewhat of a minimalist, and would prefer to take a long rambling walk to watching TV.

I have a BA in English, a M.Ed. in TESL, and a state teaching license for English 5-12 and ESL PK-12. Oh, and a TEFL certificate. I've got the qualifications covered. I also taught in Korea from '97 to '07, and have been teaching ESL full-time in Intensive English Programs here in the States since 2009. So, the experience is covered. I've taught children, teenagers, and adults, and I love them all. Yes, I even love kindergarten. The problem is that those qualifications and experience add up to a not-so-attractive age. I'm 43.

I'm hoping that someone will read this and be able to point me to where I should be looking or say, "Hey, I'm leaving my great job in a rural area at the end of my contract. I'll give you contact information."

*fingers crossed*
oatmeal

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting read.
Which VISA are you on?
After having taught here for 10 years and then going back home, what made you decide to come back and teach here again?

Your credentials and experience is all top notch. As for judge of character, that is only something one can ascertain in person or perhaps a few reputable references.

I could probably help you out on that as I've been working in the rural
area here for almost a decade. Is there a particular area you are looking for or just anywhere as long as it is rural?
Begin Again

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not on any visa at this time as I am still teaching in the States. I want to return to Korea because at least in Korea, I can make enough to save for retirement. I can't here. We make $20 an hour, are limited to 30 hours a week paid, and there are NO benefits. No insurance, no retirement, no paid sick leave, no paid vacations, NOTHING. Also, I am teaching three classes simultaneously (they all run from 9:00 to 2:45 not counting prep time), and it is exhausting. For a long time, I kept thinking that if I just held on a little more, things would turn around and get better...but they haven't. In the beginning, it was one class, and it was heaven. That lasted about six months. Then it was two classes/levels simultaneously. Then three. Now it looks like it could be upped to four. It's a nightmare for teachers and students alike. It's not just that. At my age I should already have SOMETHING put away for my retirement, but I don't, and that needs to change. I'm completely exhausted each day, so a part-time job isn't possible.

I don't want to give up teaching. It's not just all I know and all I've ever trained for, it's all I've ever wanted to do. However, I do intend to look into some kind of online training in order to do something different if necessary later on. The very idea is heartbreaking. I love teaching, and really hope it won't come to that. I'm certainly open to just remaining in Korea if that is what's necessary to continue being a teacher.

I'm not really looking at a particular area, though I'd love to be near the coast, a national park with lots of trees, or the mountains, but not near a big city.
oatmeal

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, you don't get any benefits? I think you are teaching in some sort of ESL or private academy and not the public school correct? I suppose if you compare all of that to what you get teaching in Korea, it's definitely a better deal here. The only downer (which is often the deal breaker) is that you have to live away from home (foreign country). Some people can do that for a few years and save up money but eventually they have to decide where they are going to call home for the long haul. If you have family or friends in Korea, then I can see how that would become much easier to decide to stay in Korea for the long haul and try to retire here. But for everyone else, living alone or being a away from family and friends is too much to give up.

I think you and I are in somewhat similar situations. I don't know if I'm necessarily thinking of saving up for retirement per se, but my goal always has been to save up as much money as I could and I've been pretty true to my goals since I first came here. I'm at the stage now where I think I need to start investing that money. Leaving it sitting in the bank doing almost nothing is wasting the money. I'm just not really sure how to invest the money here. Real estate (owning your own home) would obviously be the best thing to start. Maybe later on one could own more property and rent it out or resell the land when the value is higher.

As for online stuff, that's definitely the now and the future. There are a lot of ways to make extra income online that sadly, I didn't and still don't know as much as I think I should about it. That's why I really believe that children today should be educated as much as possible about online investments, business, moneymaking careers. There are so many ways to now make online. I think you could definitely make an income online selling or providing educational services or teaching materials. A lot of youtubers who have the training in video animation and music make their own children's music videos and post them on their youtube channel and some of them have millions of subs pretty much don't have to work a 9-5 job anymore. But it's now moving into apps and if you know anything about making apps (which I don't) lots of people are raking in the doe with that. Damn it, why didn't they teach me how to make apps when I was in school?

Well, it's good that you are planning ahead. I'll definitely keep you posted about my situation (and surrounding area). I'm in South Gyeonggi-do, which is still rural but close enough to the big cities (1 hr or less from Seoul). I personally know of a few schools around here that have had a problem keeping their english teachers for more than 1 year consecutive. It's sad to hear that english teachers change almost every year around these parts (for obvious reasons being rural), and many parents and schools tell me they wish I had worked there since I have already been at my same rural school for almost 8 years now). Actually, I feel like my current school should treat me better considering what I've done staying here with them for this long while all the neighboring schools struggle mightily each year trying to get new teachers....some schools have even gone through 2 teachers in 1 year (midnight runs, breaking contracts etc). Man, my school don't know how lucky they are or have been to have me but I don't feel that appreciated anymore and it's really starting to suck.
Begin Again

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oatmeal wrote:
Wow, you don't get any benefits? I think you are teaching in some sort of ESL or private academy and not the public school correct?

Yes, that's right. If I were working at a public school, I'd be making only slightly more but have a lot more paperwork to deal with, not to mention parents, not to mention American kids. *shudder* I'd have benefits, but I'd likely burn out within six months. The public education system is really bad in Oklahoma.

oatmeal wrote:

If you have family or friends in Korea, then I can see how that would become much easier to decide to stay in Korea for the long haul and try to retire here. But for everyone else, living alone or being a away from family and friends is too much to give up.

I actually don't have any family there, and I was last there in 2007. I've lost track of everyone I knew there except for a few who no longer live there. I don't see my family much here because of my schedule and their schedules...it wouldn't really be much different.

oatmeal wrote:

I think you and I are in somewhat similar situations. I don't know if I'm necessarily thinking of saving up for retirement per se, but my goal always has been to save up as much money as I could and I've been pretty true to my goals since I first came here. I'm at the stage now where I think I need to start investing that money. Leaving it sitting in the bank doing almost nothing is wasting the money. I'm just not really sure how to invest the money here.

Check out https://www.frugalwoods.com/ . I think you'll like it.

oatmeal wrote:

Real estate (owning your own home) would obviously be the best thing to start. Maybe later on one could own more property and rent it out or resell the land when the value is higher.

I actually own my own house. Well, the bank and I do. The problem is that when I bought it, it was a nice area. Over the years, it has turned into a rental area. Only three houses in the neighborhood aren't rentals, and mine is one of them. If I tried to rent it out, I wouldn't even be able to make enough to pay the mortgage. And then, when I came back, I don't know that I'd want to live in this area. I'd rather be free to choose anywhere. If I rented it out, I would then have to sell it and it wouldn't be worth as much as people who rent it won't be taking care of it like I do. So, I've been selling off all my things in anticipation of moving to Korea and selling this house.

oatmeal wrote:

As for online stuff, that's definitely the now and the future. There are a lot of ways to make extra income online that sadly, I didn't and still don't know as much as I think I should about it. That's why I really believe that children today should be educated as much as possible about online investments, business, moneymaking careers. There are so many ways to now make online. I think you could definitely make an income online selling or providing educational services or teaching materials.

This is something I've been working on. I actually have a store on teacherspayteachers. It's slow going though because I can't devote much time to it due to everything that's required of me at work. I'm hoping to be able to do a lot more once I'm in Korea. Not having to pay American taxes on that income will really help as well. Though....I'll have to find out how much Korean taxes are.

oatmeal wrote:

Damn it, why didn't they teach me how to make apps when I was in school?

hahahahahaha.....back when I was in high school, no one had heard of the internet. At least, not in my small town. I got my master's back in 2013. The technology class was a joke. But, that's the thing....you don't need school to learn how to use technology. You use technology to do that. That's my plan once I'm over there.

oatmeal wrote:

Actually, I feel like my current school should treat me better considering what I've done staying here with them for this long while all the neighboring schools struggle mightily each year trying to get new teachers....some schools have even gone through 2 teachers in 1 year (midnight runs, breaking contracts etc). Man, my school don't know how lucky they are or have been to have me but I don't feel that appreciated anymore and it's really starting to suck.

I think that many Koreans tend to view their foreign teachers like a new puppy. Everyone is excited about a new puppy and everyone pays a lot of attention to the puppy, but as time goes by, the puppy is not new anymore. The puppy becomes just another thing they have to deal with. The puppy gets taken for granted, and before you know it, they're looking wistfully at other people's puppies.

Sorry for the dog analogy, but it's on my mind because I have a fourteen year old dog that even my family doesn't understand why I'm willing to spend so much money in order to take her with me, especially because she makes finding a job even more difficult. She's my heart though. Of course she goes with me. And I hope to find some place that doesn't get bored when something is no longer new, but the chances aren't that great considering the age I already am. *sigh*
oatmeal

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great that you feel that way about your dog. I am an animal lover myself and I care deeply about all my pets, too. I have a couple rabbits (have rescued many rabbits over the years here), fish (my cories just had a baby!), and I've been taking care of a homeless cat at my school for the past 5 years now. She basically stays around the school property all the time now because of me (providing her food and water and some company when I can). I have allergies to cat dander so I can't take her home with me. I have considered it a lot but my allergies are really bad.

Well it sounds like you've been doing pretty good for yourself so far! Owning a house is definitely a huge thing. I didn't really realize how much owning a house is actually the start of really building wealth (no more paying rent). I'd love to own one here if I can, but the nature of our job makes it difficult. I'd have to have another job/income that is steady/reliable to ensure that I could stay in one place for many years.

May I ask if you are male or female? Or I can I message you inbox? I'd like to give you a little more information about the particular schools or area that I have in mind for you. You may or may not be interested, but I'd prefer to divulge that sort of information in private.
isitts

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:31 am    Post subject: Re: Elementary/Middle/High school position without EPIK? Reply with quote

You’re being way too nitpicky. And you’re creating arbitrary obstacles. With your credentials, you should have no trouble finding a good paying job. If you’d like to be pointed in a direction, then I’d say look at jobs in China. You’re likely to do much better there than here.
CentralCali

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EPIK isn't "anti-dog". The landlords they get the apartments from do not permit pets.
Begin Again

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: Elementary/Middle/High school position without EPIK? Reply with quote

isitts wrote:
You’re being way too nitpicky. And you’re creating arbitrary obstacles. With your credentials, you should have no trouble finding a good paying job. If you’d like to be pointed in a direction, then I’d say look at jobs in China. You’re likely to do much better there than here.

Thanks, but I just signed a contract on Thursday with exactly what I was looking for. Smile
isitts

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Elementary/Middle/High school position without EPIK? Reply with quote

Begin Again wrote:
isitts wrote:

Thanks, but I just signed a contract on Thursday with exactly what I was looking for. Smile

Fair enough Smile Glad you were able to find what you were looking for.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: