Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

At first I felt nothing but contempt while (back) in Korea.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
madeinkorea

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:57 pm    Post subject: At first I felt nothing but contempt while (back) in Korea. Reply with quote

A little background information: As an adoptee this was my first trip back to the mother country and one could say I expected a lot from it. I even naively expected to be able to trace my roots and reunite with my biological family. Man was I wrong... Not only were they unable at the adoption agency to provide me with any useful information, I was also confronted with not so welcoming behavior from the locals. I mean, a great part of them were quite hostile towards me when realising I didn't speak Korean...

There was this goshiwon lady answering in perfect English: "I cannot understand you" while at the same time refusing to address me any further. It was an old lady and it took place in some shady neighborhood around Seoul Station (yes I was quite lost my first day, or rather night in Korea)... Along with her condescending attitude it made me think about an era when people were even more overtly against so-called outsiders.

This and a couple of other negative encounters with Koreans later on during my stay made me feel like a stranger in my once meant to be home country. It was quite a horrible experience and during a while I felt a lot of contempt even though I found great pleasure in being able to wander the streets unnoticed aka blending in - at least physically. Yes it made me awkwardly feel at home, you can not imagine.

Anyway it struck me that overall Koreans showed to not be more involved with the phenomenom adoption. At some point I even wondered if they even know about it. For a nation that used to be the top exporter of babies and children for the purpose of international adoption, it was very strange -even traumatising, witnessing this kind of (feigned?) ignorance.
Rteacher

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you really want to connect/re-connect with Korean culture, I think you need to learn the language to some extent. Around Seoul, there were several "learn Korean for free" classes run by friendly educators, and one of the sponsors of this forum (beeline) also advertises "free Korean lessons" online ...
madeinkorea

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know but it's so difficult... Also my grudge against Korea makes that I didn't put much effort in it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: