Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ali Baba's Itaewon, OK food, LOUSY service
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jaganath69

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 10:06 am    Post subject: Ali Baba's Itaewon, OK food, LOUSY service Reply with quote

Was in the twon on saturday evening with 3 other guys from my football team and we decided to check out the above mentioned establishment in the hope of savouring something sans-gojujang. Anyhow, the food was decent enough, humous, baba ganouch, pita and roasted meat-kebab like stuff, although the portions were miserly at best. Worst of all was the fact that our meals arrived at 20 minute intervals. When I told the smarmy waiter that we had come to eat together, he just shrugged. Shame really coz I love to blow a substantial proportion of my earnings on non-Korean nosebag. Does anyone know of another middle-eastern resto on the area where the service is better than non-existant?

Cheers

Jaga
Pyongshin Sangja

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

salam below the mosque is great.
jaganath69

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers, I know I sound like I am bitching, but when you are spending 30k per head you expect a decent level of service. Will check out your recommendation.

Cheers

Jaga
Zed

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taqwha (sp?) on the road in behind Burger King is a great Pakistani restaurant. I recommend the spinach dishes. Delicious.
dogbert

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Ali Baba's Itaewon, OK food, LOUSY service Reply with quote

jaganath69 wrote:
Was in the twon on saturday evening with 3 other guys from my football team and we decided to check out the above mentioned establishment in the hope of savouring something sans-gojujang. Anyhow, the food was decent enough, humous, baba ganouch, pita and roasted meat-kebab like stuff, although the portions were miserly at best. Worst of all was the fact that our meals arrived at 20 minute intervals. When I told the smarmy waiter that we had come to eat together, he just shrugged. Shame really coz I love to blow a substantial proportion of my earnings on non-Korean nosebag. Does anyone know of another middle-eastern resto on the area where the service is better than non-existant?

Cheers

Jaga

I've eaten there numerous times and have had the exact same experiences.
Eazy_E

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The server asked me if I REALLY wanted two orders of pita bread. I said yes, then he proceeded to give me one. Only when I insisted did he give me what I wanted. He also thought that I'd ordered a beer, which wasn't the case.

I agree, portions are tiny and service is shoddy. I guess they can get away with that considering how few middle eastern restaurants there are in Korea. Mad
Swiss James

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had terrible service twice at Gecko's Garden too- waited for at least 90 minutes for food there a few weeks ago.
oneiros

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ali Baba's is over-priced, too. Only went there once with a friend, because we payed for their over-priced argila pipe, and then they wouldn't give us more coals. Evil or Very Mad

Definitely try Salaam near the mosque. They do amazing yogurt.
Zed

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Ali Baba's Itaewon, OK food, LOUSY service Reply with quote

dogbert wrote:
jaganath69 wrote:

Cheers

Jaga

But you'll be back, right? Wink

Ali Baba's is overpriced, isn't it?
Saxiif

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pyongshin Sangja wrote:
salam below the mosque is great.

Seconded. Although their humus doesn't have anywhere near enough garlic Sad
indiercj

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you face a waiter waiting for his tip after having spilt the coffee on you. That's how you get MAD.

Last edited by indiercj on Mon Jul 12, 2004 8:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Zed

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mutually Assured Destruction?
dogbert

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Ali Baba's Itaewon, OK food, LOUSY service Reply with quote

Zed wrote:
dogbert wrote:
jaganath69 wrote:

Cheers

Jaga

But you'll be back, right? Wink

Ali Baba's is overpriced, isn't it?

LOL...actually, I think the last time was the straw that broke the camel's back. I'll take your recommendation.
kylehawkins2000

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must say the dining in Korea leaves alot to be desired. There are only three restaurants I've been to that I've been pleased with both the food and service and only one of them was consistant with it on repeat visits. I think that really outside of the restaurants in the big international hotels, international dining in Korea tends to be overpriced, the meals are not well-presented, the food is often over/undercooked, and the service leaves much to be desired.

I've tried out a couple of the places reccommended in the Seoul Classifieds and just had to ask myself what in the heck that guy is thinking when he reviews places. After a couple of dissappointing visits to his recommended places I began to notice that he never says anything bad about the restaurants he reviews....coincidence? I doubt it. The restaurants are probably paying for the review or are sponsors of the magazine.

Warning: The new greek restaurant behind the Hamilton Hotel, Santorini, is brutal. It's overpriced, the food is not well cooked or presented and the service sucks. I paid close to 50 bucks for two entrees and an appetizer with NO drinks and the food was the worst Greek food I've ever had. The spanikopita was tiny and obviously reheated because they were cold in the middle.
eamo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zed wrote:
Taqwha (sp?) on the road in behind Burger King is a great Pakistani restaurant. I recommend the spinach dishes. Delicious.

Second that!

Taqwa.

Great food and service.

Tell Mohammad I sent ya!! Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: