Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Notarized degrees: prepping early; how many should I get?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
white tiger

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2003 4:53 pm    Post subject: Notarized degrees: prepping early; how many should I get? Reply with quote

I want to make sure I have all my paperwork that I can do done for when I start to apply for jobs. Therefore:

How many notarized copies of my degree should I get?
How recent should they be? (Is six months' advance too much? Will they consider them outdated?)
What colour of socks go with grey pants and black shoes?

thanks for the help!
elmer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2003 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Notarized degrees: prepping early; how many should I get Reply with quote

You'll need one for your initial job, and one (or 2) for your own records. If you have ANY incling that you will stay longer than a year or more, then get a few extra copies done. 5 or more.

As far as I know the notarization and subsequent consulate stamp don't expire.

Since you are just applying, don't send any official copies in your applications. They will need the official ones only when you have made a deal and are visa-processing. Just get photocopies of everything to send for the application process (degree, passport, transcripts, photo...)

Someone asked about transcripts somewhere...I've never given true "official" transcripts. Just photocopies of "unofficial" ones. Never was questioned about them.
The Marchioness

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 2:55 pm    Post subject: What? Reply with quote

I got six or so; however, I never send one of those copies to a school with whom I am negotiating; I send them a copy of a copy so they can have a look. It's only when negotiations have reached the nitty-gritty stage, that I send them the 'real thing.'

Were you attempting to yank someone's chain when you asked about the socks, shoes?

In any case, the rule of thumb is this: your socks should always match your trousers or your shoes in colour; nevertheless, if you're the kind of person who wears brown shoes with grey pants, then you're in trouble already (fashion-wise), and you need help.

For women, it's the same rule: your tights or pantyhose should be in the same tonal range as the skirt, dress, or trousers you're wearing, or they should be the same colour as your shoes. Pretty simple, really.
white tiger

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, jsut jokin' about the socks thing; but thanks for the refresher nonetheless!
white tiger

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2003 11:52 am    Post subject: notarization/consulate stamp; same thing? Reply with quote

well, i'm ready to send off my degree to the Korean Consulate here in Canada; only, now i'm a bit confused...does the Korean Consulate notarize the copies, or are they just putting some sort of stamp on them? does this stamp notarize them, or is that a whole other thing?
I'd read earlier someone saying they went to a lawyer to have theirs notarized; can someone please put me on the right path?
thanks!
kylehawkins2000

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2003 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never gotten a degree notorized. I just use the original degree. I've sent it in the mail three times now without any problems. If anything ever does happen you can get a new one issued from your University.

Getting degrees notorized can be time consuming and unneccesary. If you are paranoid about sending your degree in the mail I guess you could get one notorized copy. If you have the original I don't see why you'd need any for your own records. You can use a notorized copy to send to your E2 visa sponsor (employer), then take the original with you to show to immigration for issuance of your alien registration card. I just went in, showed them my degree....they wrote done some information, and I left with the degree still in my hands 15 minutes later.
kiddblount

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2003 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've noticed that it isn't uncommon for korean men's socks/shoes to clash . . .
canukteacher

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting your degree notarized is easy is you follow the instructions from the Korean embassy. You'll have to back in about 72 hours. Proabably cheaper than trying to get a new degree from your university, and faster.

Good luck! Very Happy
white tiger

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just as a follow-up to my original post:

I have since sent my original degree from Manitoba to Vancouver BC Express Post, with self-addressed stamped Express Post envelope, $15.00 money order (for 5 copies), a cover letter asking for the notarized copies, and a photocopy of my passport for identification.
I sent them on friday, and received them the following thursday.
peace
Squid

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marchioness, I can't resist, I'm awarding you one short plank.

Squid.
PEI George

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there any value in having a copy of my degree notarized by my university?
DanielP

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys,
I have a similar hurdle:

I'm planning on going to the nearest Korean Consulate which is 3 hours away by car from where I live to get my degrees notarized. Do you guys know if it's possible to bring my degree there and get it notarized on the same day? Or does it take a few days for them to notarize them, in which case can I ask them to mail them to me or do I go pick them up?

Thanks in advance!!!

Daniel
hubba bubba

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was told by immi that the five extra copies of my diploma that I had notarized by the KOREAN consulate were no longer valid. They had to be notarized within the last three months.

Completely backassed retarted. Especially considering that i already had ONE E-2, meaning that I had already proved to immi that I had a valid degree once.

I like living here, but Korean people really have no ability to think logically.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: