Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bali.... Kuta Beach anyone

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
steelhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 4:30 pm    Post subject: Bali.... Kuta Beach anyone Reply with quote

Headed to Bali, tryin to scope the hotels and resorts in the area. Heard Kuta beach is the place to be.

ANyone had any experiences ....Do's and Donts....
places to stay??

etc

cheers
Juggertha

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

haven't been there..

but maybe this would be better in the quesiton / answer forum?
the_beaver

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got back from Kuta on Wednesday (and let me tell you -- old Montezuma of Mexico has nothing on what the gods of that Indonesian island can put out). We stayed at Melasti which isn't all that far from the beach (actually, it's physically right on the beach but for some stupid reason beach access through the hotel is blocked off and you have to go around).

The Hard Rock Cafe probably has one of the nicest places but it's expensive. There are several others just on the same stretch.
steelhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 7:21 pm    Post subject: beach Reply with quote

Is that the name of the Hotel/resort? what were prices like?

I was looking at some hotels and seems like a cant miss.
the_beaver

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: beach Reply with quote

steelhead wrote:
Is that the name of the Hotel/resort? what were prices like?

Yes Hard Rock Cafe Pool and Resort -- right across the street from the beach and with the best pool I've ever seen.

Prices? Incredibly expensive but I don't know what they were exactly.
steelhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 10:08 pm    Post subject: places Reply with quote

yeah we were lookin at places, didnt look at the Hard Rock,... but I know from past experiences that anything with Hard Rock(as long as its not an authentic replica hard rock) that its expensive... most places seem super nice, and considering they are a recovering tourist destination, I am sure any place we will find

my only question, is ..... location.. is it like other places where, if you are on the beach you want to be at(Kuta) then, everything is within striking distance, or is there a central location within the beach that is preferable.

We want the shopping nightlife .....

Can we go wrong?
just because

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds really general but don't bother.

I recommend Lombok which is next to bali. A lot more authentic and peaceful(ie. read not commercial bullcrap plastered in your face everywhere) experience.

Bali is overrated
jaykimf

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been 12 years since I was there and a lot may have changed, I really liked Bali--outside of Kuta. I hated Kuta and doubt it has seen a dramatic improvement. Ubud was great back then. Lombok was also good but very different, more primitive, ages behind in development.
kylehawkins2000

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When are you heading there? I'm taking my first trip there in August. My girlfriend and I will be there for a week from Aug. 5th. I'm thinking of staying in Kuta for a few nights then heading elsewhere where it's a little quieter and more peaceful.

I'm not sure where to stay on the island to be honest. I want something nice, not too far from the nightlife but not too over-touristed at the same time.
Moldy Rutabaga

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check my website for Bali pictures (blatant plug).

I stayed at the Aquarius in Kuta for the equivalent of about 10-12,000 won this June for a nice little shack with free breakfast and a swimming pool. Beer is very cheap but hard alcohol can be quite expensive. There's a wonderful variety of every type of food, which is nice after living on a monotonous Korean diet.

As Lonely Planet would say, you love or hate Kuta. It's kitschy and cheesy sometimes, and the incessant hawkers can get you down with their 'massagge!' and 'taxi, yes!', but I enjoy the variety, the people watching (read bikini girls), and the pleasant beaches and sunsets, and the shopping. There's good department stores and everything you need (or don't need).

Equally so, some people prefer Lombok. I admit that Sengiggi is the nicest sunset I've ever seen, but I didn't like being there and didn't feel safe last October. There weren't many tourists and the hawkers were especially aggressive. We stayed in a bad hotel with a mosque next door blaring prayers into our ears three times a night. Had food poisoning. It wasn't my cup of tea.

One option that might be fun is to make Kuta your home base and go on a few day trips to get away from the noise; the island's not that big. You could have some peace and quiet in Ubud and see some nice art, or tour some of the nearby temples.

When I last went to Bali, I arranged a tour with a Korean travel agency. I wouldn't do it again. The tour included all meals.. Korean meals. I ended up losing out on all that because I'll be da**ed if I go to Bali to eat more rice and lawnmower clippings.

Balinese people can really irritate you with their sales pitches, but they're generally pretty easygoing and it's just their job. Watch out for the jerk at the airport when you fly back to Korea-- if you don't have your little outgoing ticket from immigration he'll try to get a bribe from you. He asked me for ten American dollars, and I told him that all I had was a thousand Korean won, saying "it's worth about the same!" Cool

Ken:>
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: