Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adventureman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 6:41 pm    Post subject: .. Reply with quote

Last edited by adventureman on Sat Oct 08, 2005 2:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Gollum

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definately a good idea to check out what kind of support you'll have.

I've read posts from other teachers on here who scoffed at jobs like mine (high school) before teachers started. I read all of the "You'll be crying and posting on here and complaining about how hard it is."

Some self-righteous teachers on here who think they are gods like to scare others into thinking it's a hell they could never endure.

Truth is, though, the OP is right about elementary. That is DEFINATELY a situation you want to check into. Even if you are seasoned teacher with a teaching degree, you want to make sure there is support from administration and teachers.

Thankfully, my school is very good about enforcing rules, and isn't one that beats the kids (many do). For example, if we see a handphone in class, it's gone for 2 weeks. We just give it to the homeroom teacher. The students all know this, and are pretty good about it.

It all depends on the school. Do your research. Some of the situations are co-teacher situations, which I think are ideal at the elementary level.

By the way, one of the jobs posted many times had questions raised about their practice of "sharing" a bank account in your name. Someone said they were doing this to maybe get around Korean tax laws. Be careful. If memory serves, it was even listed as a government job.
Crois

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey i'm trying for a job in that sector now. Not something i want to hear. Laughing Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
peppermint

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elementary school is definitely a very different ball game than middle or high school, but it 's both good and bad thing. There's not the support that you'd get at those places, but at the same time, there isn't the surliness of the students either.
oneiros

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jump on the public school, all of you.

More hogwan jobs for me.

We'll see what happens to salaries when all the other teachers leave to public school jobs. Laughing Laughing
FUBAR

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am just finishing up my job at the middle school today. I can honestly say without the great support of my Korean co-teachers the year would or could have been drastically different. THis past term, I had one early morning class with the first graders who just finished Elementary School. To say that their English level is low, would be an understatement. To all those teachers teaching Elementary Students, I say: Good luck to you and learn some Korean Commands. You are going to need it.

On a side note: I actually just turned down a Highschool job, b/c I heard that the school was a commercial high school. There is no way that I want any part of that job. Tomorrow, I will be signing a contract at a different Highschool. This job will be without a co-teacher, but I am not that worried anymore since I know what to expect and how to handle the class. Without the experience I gained this year, I would be shitty my pants a little bit.
FUBAR

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One other thing....

To the teachers applying for these jobs:

When you apply for these jobs and they ask for a photo, please dont send a shirtless photo of yourself like one guy did. Shocked
Mosley

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're dying to know...did they hire him?
Gollum

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I should avoid sending any photos in Catholic priest outfits!

Seriously though, I can't believe that guy sent in a photo without a shirt. Hilarious.
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been the prophet trying to preach this sentiment for months now. Public school jobs can be great, but you should really research the school before you sign up for it!
FUBAR

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mosley wrote:
We're dying to know...did they hire him?

Hahaha.

The resumes were all sent to my email account, hence the resume never made it to the teachers. However, all the teachers were privy to the picture. The vice principal asked me if the guy was preparing to fight a tiger. Very Happy
Michelle

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 4:04 am    Post subject: From the sound of the first post... Reply with quote

From the sound of the first post, if he has the incling to come to Korea and tackle high school, and he was preparing to fight a tiger, maybe he came with the RIGHT attitude of mental preperation....

Between kids and management, he'll need to be prepared for a fight anyway.

Twisted Evil

Of couse I otherwise don't see how going around shirtless in class would be beneficial
Wink
waggo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is just so f ing funny i have to keep reading it again....thanks for making my day!!!
FUBAR

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

waggo wrote:
That is just so f ing funny i have to keep reading it again....thanks for making my day!!!

Waggo,

I see that you are in busan..... I hope it wasn't you who sent me that pic. Razz
Gollum

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a line on a new place in Bundang near Jeongga that is looking for someone quite desperately. If anyone needs to learn more, e-mail me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: