Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Vietnamese restaurants?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
traciecat

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 4:25 am    Post subject: Vietnamese restaurants? Reply with quote

Can anyone recommend a good, not-too-expensive Vietnamese restaurant either in Central Seoul or near Itaewon? I'm about to head back to Seoul after a year away and want to eat Vietnamese spring rolls as often as possible. I had two favourites spots near City Hall but both closed down before I last left.

My taste buds thank you in advance. Very Happy
Paji eh Wong

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a nice one in Suji, near Suwon.
jajdude

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only one I have seen is the "Pho Hoa" which is in a few places... Hyehwa, Chongno, .... not sure, maybe Kangnam.... and a few others.
I wasn't all that impressed with it, but maybe I didn't have the best they had. I think they had spring rolls?

Oh there are a few noodle places, like one in COEX ("N-zle"=== I think the nam is), that have noodle dishes from several countries. Some are quite good. Maybe one is Vietnamese? Not sure about Spring Rolls though, but good noodle dishes!
edgellskiuk

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with jajude "pho hoa" isn't great but beggars can't be choosers.

There is a pho hoa in shinsa dong about one hundred metres from moo moo steak restaurant. There is a website for moo moo with a map I believe.

There is also another in songpa-gu if you stand across the road from the peace gate of olympic park (next to the big glass church" and walk along the edge of the park you will come to it.

You could try this link for ideas:

http://www.restaurants.com/World/WAlphabetResult.asp?Country=KR&City=Seoul
traciecat

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies.

I'd also heard Pho Hoa isn't too good and know I'm going to miss the places I previously ate at. Suwon is too far to go even for great spring rolls though, I might just have to take holidays in Vietnam instead!
jajdude

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyway jajdude is happy to report he will be in Vietnam within 40 hours or so.

Cool

Looking forward to the food among other things.

Why is it that Korea, now the 12th largest economy in the world, does not provide the good food and variety like so many much poorer nations do?

OK Seoul does have variety.

But it simply does not compare....

Other more travelled people can tell me if I err in my guesses....
CanadaCommando

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a wicked Vietnamese restaraunt, right by COEX.
Don't know how to go there directly, I just usually walk through COEX.

Just go into Coex by the main exit, take the first escalator up, and walk past the Brewhouse style pub, and take that exit. Vietnamese place is across the street. (next to an Outback or something). Sure there is an easier way, but that's how I do it.

Not Pho Hao- Awesome food. Good portions, and neat dishes. Cheaper than the Pho Hoa chain too...

Sorry for the bad directions, but if you find it, it will be totally worthwhile
mack the knife

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pho Hoa wouldn't be half-bad if they used the proper ingredients. Anyway, they don't use fresh basil in their soups, which is simply a crime.
Butterfly

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the LG building at Yeoksam station there is a really very good Vietnamese / Thai restaurant. Expensive, but very good.
iamdugmoore

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 8:22 am    Post subject: Vietnam resturant Reply with quote

Great resturant with great expresso across from Seok Chon lake near Jamsil station. I'll try to get the name and tele # tomorrow. It is by my school, so I'll try to stop in for info.

The name is Pho (88? i think)

[/list]
yangtheman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traciecat wrote:
Thanks for the replies.

I'd also heard Pho Hoa isn't too good and know I'm going to miss the places I previously ate at. Suwon is too far to go even for great spring rolls though, I might just have to take holidays in Vietnam instead!

Could you tell me where those places are near city hall? I will be working near city hall and would love to try them out.
alexh

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Vietnamese restaurants? Reply with quote

Best Vietnamese restaurant is in Myeongdong. Ok, if you get off of the subway and are facing the main street of Myeongdong walk down the main street until you come to the first decent sized intersection. Take a right and go to the next parallel street. Again walk away from the direction of the subway station. On the right side of the street/really only pedestrian alley you'll find a Vietnamese restaurant. The restaurant is downstairs. I think it's better than Pho Hoa.

traciecat wrote:
Can anyone recommend a good, not-too-expensive Vietnamese restaurant either in Central Seoul or near Itaewon? I'm about to head back to Seoul after a year away and want to eat Vietnamese spring rolls as often as possible. I had two favourites spots near City Hall but both closed down before I last left.

My taste buds thank you in advance. Very Happy
mack the knife

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The restaurant is downstairs. I think it's better than Pho Hoa.

Oh, hell yes! But good luck finding the place. It really is a hole in the wall. Directions or no.
Carla

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It took me a while to find a viet restaurant and by the time I found Pho Hoa I was started so it was pretty good. Then I got back home to home cooked pho and I was like, wow, that stuff really sucked. But hey, when you're in the desert, water taste like sweet wine. (or your drink of choice)
Firearcher

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:38 am    Post subject: Vietnamese food Reply with quote

Does anyone know where there is a Vietnamese market or store where I can purchase Vietnamese food in Seoul?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: