Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Landing in Korea with no job?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
skichick

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2003 11:56 am    Post subject: Landing in Korea with no job? Reply with quote

Hello,
Just wondering what your opinion was on landing in Korea without a job. Is it relatively easy to find a (b/w 1.8-2.1 mill) job? (Busan area). I understand that paid accomodation is often a part of the teaching contract. I'm coming over with a friend, and we would like to live together. Would we then have to teach at the same school to get the accomodation sorted? Has anyone gone through this? Any advice greatly appreciated!
weatherman

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2003 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe coming over and looking is the way to do it. I did it this route way back when, and it is good to have a look around the place before you sign your life away. Come prepared for a month or a little more of cash just to be safe, and be prepared to go to Japan for the visa run. As for finding work with your friend, I think it would be possible, but would take a little more time and luck, especially if you are only going to be looking in the Busan area. You might want to think Seoul metro area too. Anyways, best of good fortunes to you.
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2003 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, it's a more sure-fire way to land a good job, but there are some points to note:

1. You run the risk of not getting your flight paid for. The school might pay for your visa run instead, but there is the possibility that your wonder school won't pay for your plane ticket over, because it might've been too expensive.

2. Two months' worth of funds might be better to have. Many schools might give you an advance on your money, but, if not, you might be waiting a full month after you find your job to start getting paid.
guerillera

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any other tips?
climber159

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps you could apply to some schools that look promising and schedule a few imterviews during your first week here.

One important considerations to be aware of is that if this is your first E-2 visa you will likely need to get it from your home country. I'm pretty sure your prospective employer is not going to pay for a round-trip ticket to your home nation.
houseman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

can't you get your first visa from any country so long as you're not in korea? ie. fly to japan rather than having to fly all the way back to canada?
climber159

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't let your hagwon boss take you for a ride so early in the contract. He/she does not have a friend in Immigration who can wave this requirement. Your first E-2 visa must be obtained from your home country.
ed1980

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

really ?

My wife and I will be arriving in April (tickets already booked)

Does that mean we need to sort out a job and visa before we get there ????????

We worked over there before on E-2, but both have new passports since then.

Also - would arriving without a return flight be a problem ??

cheers
fezmond

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ed1980 wrote:
really ?

My wife and I will be arriving in April (tickets already booked)

Does that mean we need to sort out a job and visa before we get there ????????

We worked over there before on E-2, but both have new passports since then.

Also - would arriving without a return flight be a problem ??

cheers

i'm in a similar situation - worked here last year on an e-2, got a new passport over xmas and landed here last week.

immigration didn't care about an ongoing flight, the woman simply looked at my picture and gave me a 3 month tourist visa.

no problems so far
littlelisa

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you've had a previous E2, you should be alright.
eljuero

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:55 pm    Post subject: Just to clarify - Reply with quote

Sorry to be redundant on this if I'm not understanding -
If I want to go w/o a previous visa, I could fly one way with a tourist visa with my police checks (apostilled & checked by S. Korean embassy in the US?), sealed envelope with 4 year degree transcripts and then I would likely be flown to japan for a stop at the Korean embassy?
Should be a flow chart for this process somewhere no? Rolling Eyes
ElJuero
littlelisa

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you've never had an E2, don't do it. You'll have to fly back to your own country for the interview with the Korean consulate. Japan visa runs will not be possible.
The Sherriff

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm planning on doing this on an F-4 Visa.

I'm not completely sure if I want to teach English at a Hagwon, just tutor privately, or maybe even work a regular job, but I'm wondering what documents I need in order to get a job while I'm IN Korea, either teaching English or just a regular job?

Do I need to arrive with basically all the same documents as one would require in order to get an E-2 such as a a police check (done from home), a copy of my transcripts notarized by my local SK consulate, degree, etc.?

Or can I pretty much just arrive with my degree?
seoladhchian

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I've never had an E-2 visa before but am thinking about coming over to Korea on a tourist visa to look for a job. I've read one post saying that you have to do an interview at your home country Korean consulate to obtain your first E-2 visa. Is this true or will I be able to do a visa-run to Japan etc if I get a job?

Thanks
Nexus11

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you haven't had an E-2 before, you will have to return to your home country for an interview at the consulate. I would only suggest landing in Korea and looking for a job if you have had an E-2 before.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: