Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sokcho - The best way to get there?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skywalker26

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 6:28 am    Post subject: Sokcho - The best way to get there? Reply with quote

I have a friend from overseas coming to visit and I want to take her to Seokcho beach. I live in Seoul...what is the best/cheapest/quickest way to get there?

cheers.
JacktheCat

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you have a car, the ONLY way (apart from flying) is to take the bus.

Good news is that buses are frequent and cheap. Takes around 3 and half hours to get from Seoul to Sokcho.
VanIslander

Location: Geoje, Hadong, Tongyeong,... now in a small coastal island town outside Gyeongsangnamdo!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could PM somebody who lives there: Schwa

I recommend you travel down or up the coast to at least Gyeongju or Ulsan and take advantage of the many great beaches, nice coastline and excellent bus system.

That's my plan for the Chusok holidays in September.
schwa

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can catch an express bus from either Gangnam or Dongseoul terminal, dont worry about schedules just show up & there'll be one leaving shortly. About 20000 won & the terminal here is a 3-minute stroll from Sokcho Beach.

There are also intercity buses out of Dongseoul -- about 15000 won, just as comfortable, & I think the backroads are more scenic. Usually quicker than the express buses too. That would drop you downtown here, a short cabride from Sokcho Beach.

Sokcho Beach is packed during prime vacation season -- I quite like it for that, great for people-watching. Naksan just south of here is a much larger beach, lots of activities, also a people-magnet in summer. Haila Beach just north of here is a little quieter with nice facilities.

In fact there are dozens of sandy beaches along the northeast coast, all the way up to North Korea & easily got to by city bus.

Don't forget Seorak Park if you come out this way. A 20-minute local busride up into the mountains & the scenery is awesome.
Grotto

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 6:49 pm    Post subject: beach Reply with quote

if you go to the beach during the summer it is a good idea to invest in one of those sun shelter tentlike thingamabobs. Get to the beach early, pick a good spot set up your shelter and have a great day.

Oh yeah the beachfront restuarants and convienience stores are very expensive in comparison to most other places. I payed 7000 won for a green tea. I think I confused them as I kept looking for the samgapsal to go with it Wink
Saxiif

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's some midnight buses out of Express Bus Terminal in Kangnam with nice big comfy seats that go to Sokcho...
skinhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

schwa wrote:
Quote:
Don't forget Seorak Park if you come out this way. A 20-minute local busride up into the mountains & the scenery is awesome.

Definitely! I went to Seorak mountain during my first trip to Korea in April '98 when the greens had just come out after winter. I was crook as a dog n couldn't go mountain hiking with my mate, but just staying in the room / balcony at the Kensington Hotel at the end of the line was incredible. I'd never seen such a spectatcular range or so many varieties of green. I wish I'd had a variety of green with me though. Mr. Green

Don't miss Seorak. (I am from a mountainless part of the world, so maybe I'm easy to impress.)
sadsac

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bus is the easiest and most convenient. You can fly into Yang Yang airport, morning and afternoon flights from Kimpo and then a 20 minute bus ride to Sokcho. Naksan is very beautiful too. Smile

Last edited by sadsac on Mon Jul 12, 2004 7:21 am; edited 1 time in total
JacktheCat

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although few people go to them, there are a few non-nature related things to see and explore in and around Sokcho.

Like Naksansa, a cool Buddhist temple on a cliff overlooking the ocean, numerous battle sites from the Korean War (the Punchbowl, Heartbreak Ridge, etc.) and Kim Il Sung's vacation villa. Apparently, back before the Korean war, when the border was further south, Sokcho was the favorite vacation spot of the Great Leader. At the museum there are some surreal pictures of Kim Il Sung and a baby Kim Jong Il frolicking on Sokcho beach.
mack the knife

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The beaches just south of Gangneung are much better than those you'll find near Seokcho. Cleaner, and less speedo-induced retina burn.
lao_ocean_girl

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the beaches near Kangneung are nice, but I live here, so I'd like to visit other beaches around this area.

If I take a bus to Sokcho, how do I get to Naksan beach from there? What city bus number? How much is a taxi ride vs. a city bus?

P.S. If anyone is coming to Kangneung for a weekend, I can give you some information about what to do, etc.
schwa

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Gangneung - Sokcho bus will drop you off at Naksan. Just inform the driver.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: