Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dr Park's psychiatric clinic in Seoul
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
t-hype

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe Dr. Park is only manipulative toward females?

Any updates on this?
I have a friend who needs some meds cuz he's dangerously depressed right now. I don't wanna risk recommending somebody who's a jerk. Sad
i_teach_esl

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im a woman. dr park has been ok with me.
thatgirl1985

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 2:17 am    Post subject: How much would it cost to get a prescription from Dr. Park? Reply with quote

I'm running out of Effexor XR. I'd like to visit Dr. Park to get a prescription. I assume he will need to have a consultation with me first before writing the prescription. I taken Effexor XR for a couple of years so I do not want to go off of it! Can anyone tell me the cost of a consult with Dr. Park?

Thank you! : )
clustered

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: How much would it cost to get a prescription from Dr. Pa Reply with quote

thatgirl1985 wrote:
I'm running out of Effexor XR. I'd like to visit Dr. Park to get a prescription. I assume he will need to have a consultation with me first before writing the prescription. I taken Effexor XR for a couple of years so I do not want to go off of it! Can anyone tell me the cost of a consult with Dr. Park?

Thank you! : )

I went to see Dr Park and he charged me 40 000 won. I was only in there for about 2 minutes because I knew what I needed. I think it's usually 80 000 won.

I'm also a woman but I can't comment on Dr Park's methods because this was my second consultation and he dismissed me in two minutes. The first time I just needed him to write a letter, which he helped me with, but I didn't experience any counselling from him.

I didn't have insurance so the meds were VERY expensive. Does anyone know how I can get cheaper meds without insurance? Should I go to a Korean psychiatrist? Does anyone have current contact details for Korean psychiatrists (and any that can speak English)?

Ok I found the details of another English-speaking psychiatrist in the Seoul area.

I called the 24-hour Medical Referral Service by calling 010-4769-8212 (or 010-8750-8212 is the other number). This is what they had.

[02 2001 1100 - Dr Im (there is more than one psychiatrist here).
Kangbuk Samsung Medical Centre
So I went there and you need to go to Seodaemun station (line 5) - take exit 4 - walk 5 mins - you'll see the red cross hospital on your left, then you keep walking. You'll see KBSMC Emergency sign and just walk up there, go through the driveway to the main desks. Find someone who speaks English (bit of a hassle, get there early) and pay for it upfront. Then you need to go to the 3rd floor and find the psychiatric area (again, need to find English-speaker). Then you're with Dr Im. Nice guy, pretty good English (though he will tell you he's a little insecure about it, he's actually pretty good).
It's only 21 950 won for a consultation!

They give a prescription and you go to the chemist, rather than dishing them out at the psychistrist's.

However MAKE SURE you take a certification of diagnosis with you from your old doctor. I went in there with old medication but it wasn't good enough. I took in three different types of meds and he wouldn't give me the prescription for any of them.

Also you can call 1330 to find Korean psychiatrists.

The other psychiatrist they had listed was at the Itaewon International Clinic but you already have those details. Smile
Pocahontas

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:22 pm    Post subject: Dr. Park's psychiatric clinic Reply with quote

Do not, I repeat DO NOT go to Dr. Park's psychiatric clinic. I went to see him for generalized anxiety disorder. The man barely talked to me and couldn't offer any other solution to my problem besides giving me medication. The medication cost me 70,000 for two weeks worth. I continued to see him for about 2 and a half months, and continuing to pay the 70,000 for each visit. When I finally started to feel better, I explained to Dr. Park that I would like to start coming off of the medication. He explained that I needed to 'calm down' more and wanted me to continue taking it, and thus paying him 70,000 every other week.
After speaking with a friend, I found another clinic, Dr. Kim's clinic in Itaewon, right up the street from Taco Bell. Dr. Kim, not only listened to me, and asked about my feelings he was also sympathetic to me wanting to come off of my medication. So he prescribed exactly what Dr. Park had prescribed for 2 weeks before starting to reduce my dosage. I went to the pharmacy, and I was shocked at how much the medication cost. 5,900 for not only my anxiety medication but for my sleeping pills as well. Plus the 3,600 for the visit to the doctor himself. So I essentially paid 60,000 less than I had for Dr. Park. So I highly recommend staying away unless you don't mind paying those prices!
ironclad80

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to go to him in Korea. He's expensive but I was just happy to get my meds and he would prescribe everything I took in the U.S. no questions asked. He's a little quirky and would forget me every time I visited him but I don't go to shrinks to make friends, I go to them to get meds that work. If I have something to talk about nothing beats a close friend or sibling.

I don't really have a strong opinion of him either way, I guess he was good enough. If I go back to Korea I might look for another doctor though, with insurance the consulation and meds would cost me 100,000. I think that's pricey.
Harpeau

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Dr. Park's psychiatric clinic Reply with quote

Pocahontas wrote:
After speaking with a friend, I found another clinic, Dr. Kim's clinic in Itaewon, right up the street from Taco Bell. Dr. Kim, not only listened to me, and asked about my feelings he was also sympathetic to me wanting to come off of my medication. So he prescribed exactly what Dr. Park had prescribed for 2 weeks before starting to reduce my dosage. I went to the pharmacy, and I was shocked at how much the medication cost. 5,900 for not only my anxiety medication but for my sleeping pills as well. Plus the 3,600 for the visit to the doctor himself. So I essentially paid 60,000 less than I had for Dr. Park. So I highly recommend staying away unless you don't mind paying those prices!

Where abouts is Dr. Kim's Clinic? Do you have an address? Thanks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
sugar79

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

here is a counselling centre - www.familykorea.org , the english person to contact for appointments, etc is Ryan - his email [email protected] and the english line number is (02)790-5910. its located in Yongsan in Seoul.

another that i know of, but is more pricey, is www.ahskorea.com

and also http://counselingcenter.or.kr/

hope that helps and all the best!!
drbeckyfamily

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:01 am    Post subject: English Speaking Psychiatric Services Reply with quote

Dr. Rebekah (Becky) Y. Lee, M.D Ph.D

Specialty: Neuro-Psychiatric Services
Marriage & Family Therapy
Individual Counseling
Child / Adolescent Counseling
Cultural Adjustment
Communication / Social Skills
Spiritual Guidance

Location: SongPa/Jamshil , Seokchon Station (8# line, exit 4)
LPJ Mind Health Clinic
(02)425-6616 www.lpj.co.kr
[email protected]

Dr Becky can communicate fluently in English & Korean.
Dr. Becky is a licenced Psychiatrist of Korea and a licenced Marriage & Family Therapist (LMFT) in California. She has lived in the United States for more than 20 years and now is back in Korea to serve the Korean and Foreign communities for their mental and relational health.

Dr. Becky understands the social and cultural differences that Westerns face when coming to Korea. She can provide a specialized service for Foreign patients and their families. She is also knowledgeable in new psychiatric medication and theology. She was an adjunct professor of Human Services in Cal State Univ., Fullerton. Now she is an adjunct professor at Ewha & Yonsei Medical Schools.
soyoungmikey

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Empower yourself:

http://www.onemindhelp.blogspot.com/
Skipperoo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: Dr. Park's psychiatric clinic Reply with quote

Pocahontas wrote:
Do not, I repeat DO NOT go to Dr. Park's psychiatric clinic. I went to see him for generalized anxiety disorder. The man barely talked to me and couldn't offer any other solution to my problem besides giving me medication.

Sadly, welcome to psychiatry! See a counsellor or clinical psychologist if you're looking for other approaches to solving your problem. Psychiatrists are medical doctors first and foremost and therefore chiefly subscribe to biomedical explanations and solutions to mental disorders.
soyoungmikey

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And so are counselors and psychologists my friend. Which is why I posted the peer support group for people with mental health issues. We don't treat symptoms we deal with people.
Draz

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sugar79 wrote:

another that i know of, but is more pricey, is www.ahskorea.com

Pricey but worth it in my experience. I saw Eli and she was incredible.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: