Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kid's Herald, Ansan. Feedback anyone?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hodju

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2003 12:43 pm    Post subject: Kid's Herald, Ansan. Feedback anyone? Reply with quote

Does anyone have any information on this school?
Some of the KH franchises have a bad name, I know.
Lost Seoul

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2003 10:46 pm    Post subject: Kids Herald Reply with quote

Here are some previous posts about Kids Herald.

Not sure if the Ansan branch is mentioned but even if it isn't it may give you some idea of how the franchise is run in general. Ask for the EMail addresses of the other foreign teachers at the institute and ask them what its like. Ask many questions, seek many opinions, then, finally, trust your own instincts.

================================================
http://www.eslcafe.com/korea/index.cgi?read=102569
Kids Herald School-Kangnam Campus-STAY AWAY!!!
Posted By: been there done that
Date: Wednesday, 23 January 2002, at 9:39 p.m.
A word to the wise....if you are planning to make the move to Korea to teach English please beware of the following school and the following people. Kids Herald School- Kangnam Campus which is located in Ilwon-Dong. If you are taking the subway it is on the orange line and you get off at the Daecheong stop. The people running the school are Mr and Mrs. Song who are probably in my opinion the most cold and heartless people I have met in my lifetime. I came to Korea in September. The school had only been open for a few weeks when I started and at first all seemed fine. My first night there I went out with the other foreign teachers and they filled me in on the situation so far. In the first week of the school being open the Songs had fired a supervisor and a foreign teacher..I was a little shocked at this information. My first opinion of the school was good and the Songs went out of their way for me to make sure I was happy and comfortable..but the act didn't last for long..it is just their way of sucking you in..they did it to all of the foreign teachers there. Oh I should also mention the Songs do not speak English which makes life very difficult if there are things you need to discuss. From my experience in Korea this Kids Herald School is one of the only Hagwons with Korean English teachers working there. There are 4 Korean English teachers who work there..and frankly they can't even string an English sentence together most of the time..so you can imagine the quality of English the students are getting..I have no problem naming the Korean teachers there because if you decide to take a job there you should at least know who to avoid...first off there is Winnie...she seems sweet at first but she is a person who is working hand in hand with the Songs...don't tell her anything or do anything outside of work with her...because she will tell the Songs everything you do and make up stories about you if she feels like it. if you are around Winnie it is best to speak English very fast so she does not understand what you are saying..because like I mentioned every word you say gets back to the Songs through her. Next there is Cathy..most of the male foreigners thinks she is a "hottie" but she is just like Winnie..don't let the pretty face fool you..she's hand and hand with the Songs as well and will do anything in her power to screw over a foreign teacher..the other Korean English teachers at the school..will help you..but remember when it comes down to it..they will take the Korean teachers side everytime even if it means screwing you into the ground! The school having Korean English teachers causes more problems than I can explain because this will be a huge posting by the time I am finished anyway...the Korean English teachers were doing placement tests, level tests and they couldn't even speak proper English..so many many students suffered due to their poor judegment and lack of English ability which caused them to drop out of the school. If students leave the foreign teachers get in more trouble than you can imagine...if things go wrong it is definitly your fault as a foreigner..the Koreans make no mistakes! When the foreign teachers suggested it would be best for them to take care of testing new students and placing students..we were pretty much laughed at...it is a sad fact that the Songs don't give a damn about the education that is being provided to their students and the quality of English..all they care about is the almighty won they are getting for each head that walks off the school bus. This is true of most Korean Hagwons..but I went to Korea because I love kids and care about them and wanted them to learn as much from me as possible...but you can throw that notion out the window when you start working for the Songs. When you walk through the door in the morning for your shift they want you to act like a clown...they expect you to wander through the school looking for them if they aren't around when you come into the school..just to say goodmorning..if you don't..they get really pissy about it..you aren't allowed to leave the school on your breaks...you'd think that would be your own time right?? WRONG...they own you..they even told us..you can't even blink without their permission...next you are NOT allowed to be sick..they tell you that..even though you are allowed sick days in your contract..they won't honor them...oh you can call in sick in the morning and they will act like it is ok..but a few hours later they will be at your apartment knocking on your door to drag you to school..no matter how sick you are..they don't care...they make up bs lines like..oh the parents are calling and complaining that you aren't at school..something they say often..which is not true..I know for a fact..if they are angry with you for something they won't tell you they are..they'll say a parent called in a complaint so you don't get upset with them..99% of the time..this is absolute crap..so don't fall for it..oh yeah..split shifts..and lots of them..also forget over time at this school..they are the only school I have encountered that pay you by the minute not the hour or the class..and even if you keep accurate records of how often you work..if they owe you overtime they will find a way to not pay you....they'll tell you your math is incorrect....or something to that effect. They also claim there is no weekend work involved in your contract with them..haha again BS! and any work you do on the weekend..you don't get paid for..and if you fail to show up..they'll come knocking at your door..it's a proven fact. The Songs are also completely disorganized and it shows in the daily opporations of the school..things are falling apart at the seams at that school...and they take none of the blame..it all rests on the foreign teachers shoulders...and they love to scream and yell at you in Korean..especially Mr Song..and then they get even more angry when you don't understand....they also like to check up on you all the time..forget having your own life...they have the security gaurds in the apartment building watching you..if they find out you are having a party..they'll show up unannounced...not a pleasent experience..they ask you many many questions and want to know indepth details of your life...don't tell them..they'll twist everything to screw you when they can...they've done it..only to the foreigners I should add..the Korean teachers can do whatever they like and live their lives...in their oppinion the foreigners are below them..we even had a supervisor tell us we were low class compaired to the Koreans...next there are the cameras...they watch your every move...when you teach you are always on the tv screens in their office..volume on...and they have no problems walking into your class and yelling at you in Korean in front of your students..we had this happen to one foreign teacher..and she was very embarrassed after the scene the Songs put on..
If that isn't enough information to keep you away from the school..I'll give you some more..they had a foreign teacher who started the day before I did...he was a great teacher and the students loved him..however the Songs did not..he had problems with another hagwon before he started at Kids Herald..and he needed to get a new alien registration card and get some visa information changed..the Songs said no problem..however they didn't get off their lazy asses to take care of it...and in October the laws changed in Korea stating you can not get work visas without a University degree...this teachers had TESOL and College...anyway..two of the other foreign teachers found resumes lying around and I found a visa application form for a new foreign teacher..and we didn't need any new teachers at the time...anyway to make a long story short..they had a teacher working illegally for them for 3 months..and than canned him because they were to lazy to get the proper information that was needed for him to work there..and then after he found out he was out of there..they had the nerve to ask him to work until the new foreign teacher arrived!!! but they wanted him out of his apartment?! and they withheld his pay...well he was smart and did a run...that was the middle of November 2001...things got much much worse at the school after that...they went through another supervisor...so that is 2 supervisors and 2 foreign teachers in the first 3 months of them being open...great for business huh? It got to the point where we all were very very miserable working there...only the students kept our spirits up..it was like working in a prison camp and we were the prisoners...eventually things just got to far out of hand and the Songs were screaming at us every minute of the day...I'm not the type of person who likes to be pushed around....and I just couldn't take it anymore...not even the great friends.wonderful students and fun life I had out of school could keep me there...in mid January of 02 I was called into the Songs office...they told me that I was in trouble for a trip I took the previous weekend to see a friend...how it was any of their business I can't figure out..anyway..they were super pissed off I went and they told me I was fired even though I had asked them 2 weeks prior if I could leave to go on the trip and it was agreed upon....I know seems hard to believe...that someone would get fired over that..but it's the honest to goodness truth..then they turned around and told me I owed them like 5 grand!! for what I have no idea...I didn't owe them a cent..they said I could stay in my apartment for the remainder of the week so I could get their money..haha..not a chance..within 10 hrs of being let go I was on a plane out of that country to never have to see the Songs again...I spoke with the 2 foreign teachers left when I got to my final desination outside of Korea..and I was told they were banned from talking to any of my students for fear of them actually telling the kids the truth why I was gone..one girl was physically removed from the kindergarten class where she was telling my students why I had left...the two remaining teachers were also given warnings after I left telling them they could be next...it's a sad place to work with insane bosses...it gets worse with each passing day...and it isn't worth the mental damage you'll do to yourself working there...there are many good schools in Korea...stay away from Kids Herald especially this one..they all have bad reputations...this school being the absolute worst..by the time I had left..they had gone through 3 foreign teachers and 3 supervisors..that should speak for itself....please if you have any respect for yourself..stay the hell away from the Songs and this school
==================================================
http://www.eslcafe.com/korea/index.cgi?read=109948
Kid's Herald...Sinnae dong
Posted By: pissed
Date: Friday, 1 March 2002, at 1:54 a.m.
Hey ladies and gentlemen....
If you want to avoid school that lies to you and the parents of the students then this is IT.
Be warned!!
This place sucks!!!
http://www.eslcafe.com/korea/index.cgi?read=110143
Re: Kid's Herald...Sinnae dong
Posted By: I agree
Date: Saturday, 2 March 2002, at 5:00 a.m.
I worked there long time ago and this place left a bad horrid taste in my mouth. A Korean American teacher quit and the manager told the mothers of the parents that he was fired for speaking Korean in class and talking Korean to a secretary....What kind of backboneless little manager would do that. You are right!This place sucks!
http://www.eslcafe.com/korea/index.cgi?read=111019
Herald Foreign Lang. Institute ,Suwon (nightmare)
Posted By: Beth
Date: Thursday, 7 March 2002, at 1:03 a.m.
I was fired from this institute on Wednesday. Let me tell you my story.
The school does not ask that children purchase a workbook, so the teachers have about 20 different workbooks on a shelf. We make copies of the workbooks, and that is the system. I have many classes, so it gets hectic and sometimes I accidently put the workbooks on my table, not back on the shelf. I come into work about a month ago and I ask another American teacher, I'll call him Rob, (not his real name) where are my workbooks, I can't find them anywhere? This doesn't mean they are my workbooks, it just means the ones that I normally use for my classes. He pulls them out of his hiding place, right in front of my eyes and says they're not yours, they are the schools, so put them back on the shelf when your done. I told him I couldn't belive how childish this was, and that I wasn't trying to hog the workbooks. BTW this guy is in his late 40's, early 50's. CHILDISH! So I put the books back on the shelf.
Wednesday 3/6, I go into work and all the workbooks are off the shelf, I guess I had made the error of putting them back on my table, how human of me. Understand, I have a pile of books, so I don't always think about location and placement of my things, I just throw everything on my table, because I'm either busy or in a hurry. My table is still in the school, and the books can be found should I happen to accidently error, however when someone takes the books home nobody has access to them. So, I ask the Korean teachers where the books are, and they are acting unfriendly and suspicious, (it literally was a workbook conspiracy) I go to the director and he tells me that Rob bought those books. I make the point that he put the books on the schools account, so they belong to the school. He was actually defending this bizarre behavior and was supporting the whole darn thing.
So he's going on and on about the stupid books, I interrupt him and ask what his intentions are as far as me working there. He tells me that he's replacing me in April. So, if I hadn't asked I wouldn't have know until about a month later. He then asks me to continue working until he can find a replacement. I'm like your breaking the contract and you want me to do you favors, are you nuts? I said I'm not working another minute, and I want you to pay me right now for the month of February that I worked. We go round and round, and I tell him that I will stand outside his school and protest until he pays me. He kept refusing to pay me. Then he calls my recruiter, Fred Lee from Suwon. Fred says let's all meet tomorrow morning at eleven. I go home Wed. evening, come back to the school on Thursday morning. Fred is there, and he's telling the guy to pay me. The director Mr. Lee is still refusing. I walk out of there with half the money he owes me. Let me tell you about the American teacher. From the first day I got o the school I was warned by the teacher I was replacing not to trust him, that he is a real "company man." None of the other teachers liked him, but those people moved on, and I quickly learned why they didn't like him.
How dumb am I? Before I even went to work at this school, the director told me that he didn't like western women. Why did I work there? I don't really consider myself not to be a man, I'm just as good as one, and just as valuable, so I figured he was just being silly, why should I care. I did start to care as I noticed the director ignoring me, he would only talk to the male American teachers. A month after I started working there, they had a Christmas party, I was not invited, why? It was left to Rob to invite me and I guess he conviently forgot, but the director sure didn't go out of his way to rectify the situation. I really didn't want to go to the stupid party, but it was still wrong of them not to invite me. I was the only one uninvited. Every time the director had a "problem" with me he would consult the male teachers for advice about me, but he never came to me directly to discuss the problem, he would just tell me what Rob thought was a good idea for the situation. Slowly I got more and more unhappy at the school, but nobody cared. The kids at the school really liked me, and believe it people when I tell you I liked them back. They could be annoying and disrespectful, sure, but they cracked me up sometimes. I was sick two weeks ago and the kids drew me get well cards, pictures of me in my bed, or all of us holding hands in class. They made me look really pretty in the pictures too, so that felt good. They told me how much they missed me and how much they didn't like going to the other teachers classes.
My intention: I will be protesting this school for the next 15 days, because that's what I have left after he calls in the termination of my E-2. So, for those of you who live in the area, if you'd like to bring me some coffee while I'm out there, it's the school next to Little John right in the heart of Yongton. Why will I be protesting? So they can't tell the kids I quit or went back home. I want the kids to see me, but not in their classroom. I want them to tell their parents that they saw me. Plus I was robbed of my goodbyes, my last day parties, my picture taking for memories. I also want to talk to my adult students, and I want the rest of my money. I may not get the money, but I will get the satisfaction that he can't tell the kids/parents some bogus excuse for my absence.
What went wrong: I just couldn't stroke the directors male ego like the female Korean teachers can, so it was a lose lose situation. The director kept telling me that he's a businessman. No teacher, no replacement, good business sense. He actually told the Korean teachers not to speak to me, and they do it, amazing! He treats them like dirt and they keep putting up with it. A week ago they were all pudding and pie, then they don't even say hello. Could it be made more obvious that something was up? This is what actually made me ask him what his intentions were, again with the business sense.
I feel I should tell you the reason why I am fearless of this situation. My husband is in the US military, so I have a good support system here. Thank God for the US military and AFN in Korea, all these months I depended on Leno and Letterman to put a smile on my face. Should I have the airfare cost taken out of my salary when he's the one who terminated the contract. Should I have to pay heavily inflated "utilities" costs? Should I put up with being treated like a sub-human because of my gender?
http://www.eslcafe.com/korea/index.cgi?read=111663
Re: Herald Foreign Lang. Institute ,Suwon (nightma
Posted By: Exact same thing happened to me, only
Date: Monday, 11 March 2002, at 4:55 a.m.
In Response To: Herald Foreign Lang. Institute ,Suwon (nightmare) (Beth)
I was Male and the brass was female. Everything from isolation to consulting the female teachers about me to the stupid petty behavior, etc. Male bosses aren't the only ones who try to abuse subordinates. Female bosses can be worse. My boss used to come in without notice and bark at me for reasons I couldn't understand. She barked at me in the beginning for not doing something a certain way. I asked clarification and repeated everything back to her and she confirmed my understanding. From that time I followed her advise very carefully expectiong no more problems. She comes in 1 month later and barks at me again that the way was wrong. I have a tape recording of the earlier conversation so I played it back. I have a small memo cassette recorder. After I played it back she sceamed at me so loud that I told her in the end that she could teach the kids instead. I said: "Come here! I want to show you something." I did, it was the Korean jobs wanted section of Daves ESL cafe. I said:" Do you see that? There are 250 new jobs postings here in Seoul and the rest of Korea. All recent! All vacant. 70% of all jobs in the ESL world are vacant at anytime!" Her reaction was one of awe and surprise. I than said:" I hold the hammer, not you! You want to be stupid, than consider yourself a company with one less teacher, effective immediately. I'm done!" I walk out and she screams:"You can't quit!" I said:"Watch me!" I walked out the door She threated me by saying:" I'll see to it that you never teach again in Korea and the rest of the commonwealth!"
I saluted as I walked out the door saying: "Yes Ma'am!"
TO ALL WESTERN TEACHERS: STAND UP FOR YOURSELF! TAKE NO CRAP OFF ANY SUPERVISOR OR ANY TEACHER. YOU WILL HAVE MUCH MORE RESPECT! IF THEY WANT TO BE STUPID, THAN THAT'S THEIR PROBLEM, NOT YOURS. REMEMBER TO SECRETLY TAPE EVERYTHING, IT HOLDS A LOT OF WEIGHT FOR THE LABOUR BOARD. THIS IS ESPECIALLY IMPORTANT TO ALL SHITTY HOKWONS. I WON'T NAME NAMES LIKE KIDS CLUB, WONDERLAND, BCM, YBM-ECC, ETC. LOL!
http://209.204.62.79/korea/index.cgi?read=111224
Re: herald school
Posted By: Scoop
Date: Friday, 8 March 2002, at 1:00 a.m.
In Response To: herald school (molly)
A Korean English teacher, who worked in their Seoul location, said that she and 4 foreign teachers quit at the same time to protest a long list of injustices.
http://209.204.62.79/korea/index.cgi?read=111999
Re: herald school
Posted By: experienced with this chain...
Date: Thursday, 14 March 2002, at 11:59 a.m.
In Response To: Re: herald school (molly)
STAY AWAY!!!!!!!!!!
I can't stress enough what a terribly run chain of schools this is...nothing but problems, breech of contracts, runs and so much more...I worked for Kids Herald...left in January...since I left they have gone through 2 teachers..and before I left they had gone through 3 and 3 supervisors..that's 5 teachers and 3 supervisors since September....there are better schools..just stay AWAY...
http://209.204.62.79/korea/index.cgi?read=112808
Kids Herald Jungrang, Bonghwasan, Shinnae
Posted By: Pissed in Bonghwasan
Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2002, at 4:32 a.m.
Beware of this school and its management! In the last four months they have lost or fired 4 foreign teachers. The lastest incident involved a foreign teacher and the owner of the school. When the teacher defended himself he was taken to the police station and charged with assault. At present he is in jail facing deportation. These people will lie and cheat teachers at the drop of a hat. They cannot be believed.
http://209.204.62.79/korea/index.cgi?read=112938
Re: Kids Herald Jungrang, Bonghwasan, Shinnae
Posted By: Avoid this place
Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2002, at 8:12 p.m.
In Response To: Kids Herald Jungrang, Bonghwasan, Shinnae (Pissed in Bonghwasan)
Anybody who is considering working for this place should talk to any of the foreign teachers working there and get there opinions. Yesterday a former employee went to pick up his pay. The management said that they weren't going to pay him. The employee responded by saying that he would go the police. He then left the building and was followed by three male memebers of management. They yelled at him and followed him and eventually a scuffle broke out. He was arrested and charged with assault. He spent the night in Korean jail and was this morning transfered to immigration from where it looks like he will be deported. This is the most serious in a series of unpleasant episodes at this Kid's Herald. They are now desperately trying to hire new teachers. Anybody who meets with management from this school should definitely ask to speak to the other foreign teachers about the working conditions and then get away from them as quickly as possible.
http://209.204.62.79/korea/index.cgi?read=113058
Re: Kids Herald Jungrang, Bonghwasan, Shinnae
Posted By: marmite
Date: Wednesday, 20 March 2002, at 8:35 a.m.
I wouldn't touch Kids Herald with a barge pole. I worked for one, although none of those mentioned. The place opened last June and in less than six months the owner lost five teachers. The owner thinks that screaming and bribery will make his teachers hop to his tyrant tune. I've heard now though that he hardly shows his face. Probably the only way that'll he keep teachers.
I rang the head office to complain about the recruiter yelling at us as well. The head office rang the owner who forbid us to ever contact the head office again. I found out the recruiter no longer worked for them.
I heard of a guy who finished his contract but had to leave a Kids Herald without his degree (Tongdaemun I think) because they refused to return it to him and a woman who finished her contract but left without getting all her money.
KIDS HERALD SUCKS BIG TIME!!!!!!!!!
Needless to say, I was one of the runners from the afore mentioned psychotic boss.
====================================
http://209.204.62.79/korea/index.cgi?read=114428
AVOID!!! KIDS HERALD SCHOOL -- KANGNAM
Posted By: Gracile - [email protected]
Date: Tuesday, 26 March 2002, at 7:12 p.m.
To all foreign teachers who want to teach in Korea ---- please avoid Kids Herald School Franchises especially the one in Ilwon-dong, Kangnam-gu which is run by the SONGS. These people can be the nicest persons in the first month of your teaching adventure and then they will start showing their real colors in the second month or so. The schools just opened last September and has fired 5 foreigners including me and 3 supervisors quit because of the system. The SONGS have these notion of manipulating their employees even outside the school. They placed all of the teachers in one apartment building and then instructed the security guards to observe them. So, if you wish to have a party at your place or feel like drinking in one of those lonely nights --- beware!!! These could be grounds for your dismissal. Another thing is you don't have the right to be sick whatsoever. If you called one morning and you're not feeling well ---- the director's husband will go knocking at your door and won't leave you alone unless you go to school with him and teach. In addition, they will let you do a lot of paperworks etc... and wouldn't listen to any suggestions from foreign teachers. They don't treat teachers as humans but robots!!! Oppps, I forgot they also have cameras in every part of the school eh. BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING!!! This school is like a prison cell ---- the working condition is so bad and negative.
PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE AVOID KIDS HERALD SCHOOL IN ILWON-DONG, KANGNAM-GU AT ALL COSTS!!!!!
http://209.204.62.79/korea/index.cgi?read=114749
AVOID!!! KIDS HERALD SCHOOL --- ILWON-DONG
Posted By: Daphne - [email protected]
Date: Wednesday, 27 March 2002, at 8:59 p.m.
This KIDS HERALD SCHOOL Franchise in ILWON-DONG is far the worst school I've ever encountered. The director PARK JONG AE can't speak a single English word and her husband MR. SONG is so useless in a sense that he's just trying to feel and look important but the truth is he knows nothing. In addition, the Korean English Teachers can't even speak English right let alone teach. They're a bunch of "big headed" fellows thinking that they have the abilities to teach English just because they've been to Canada or the U.S. It takes more than visiting an English speaking country to be able to teach it efficiently gals!!! You need the BRAINS!!!
As you can see, the SONGS opened the hagwon last August with no clue as to how to run it. Got rid of a lot of foreign teachers like a lightning --- these people must have lots of money to blow??? One of the pioneer teacher they had wanted out because he can't understand the system. The SONGS gave him a hard time in issuing his release paper, they let him signed a letter stating that he was such a bad teacher, etc... Another teacher who was sacked was actually working for them illegally. He was a College graduate from the States and was patiently waiting for the SONGS to process his E-2 and Alien Card. However, the SONGS didn't process it quick enough and later fired him. Another teacher who was sacked last January was furious when she left. She got fired on the ground that she left to see a friend on a Friday afternoon where in fact she already arrange everything with them 2 weeks inadvance. She showed up Monday and was fired. The worst part is she was made to pay a huge amount of money as reimbursement for all the expenses they incurred in recruiting her. Well, they didn't get anything from her because she left that evening in a blaze.
I don't really know what's behind the minds of the SONGS. Recently, they fired a male teacher whose wife is giving birth in 3 weeks. This is the worst thing they've done I guess. Actually, they don't want to fire him but transfer him to another school in exchange for a new teacher that supposed to be working for the other school. You can readily note how hungry for money the SONGS are. They want to make money from people who are here working in good faith. Anyways, this male teacher who was sacked begged the SONGS to give him at least a month or so before they get rid of him for his wife to deliver the baby safely. The SONGS didn't listen to his plea. They said, their decision is final. How can people do such thing??? It seems like the SONGS don't have hearts at all to feel at least a little pity to the wife and the unborn baby. The worst thing is they let the guy work for the remaining week and they were even observing his classes.
So, to those who are currently employed, being recruited or will be recruited in the future by the SONGS --- THINK! THINK! THINK!!! Please take note of what I'm writing because I don't want other people to suffer the same plight that those innocent persons experienced under the SONGS. AVOID! AVOID! AVOID! KIDS HERADL SCHOOL IN ILWON-DONG, KANGNAM-GU!!! THIS SCHOOL IS DEFINITELY TOP ONE IN KOREA SCHOOLS BLACKLISTS!!!!
http://209.204.62.79/korea/index.cgi?read=121949
Watch out for Kid's Herald
Posted By: Debbil
Date: Thursday, 2 May 2002, at 2:31 a.m.
In Response To: Re: Kids Herald in ilsan ( I got offered a job the (noname)
I don't know about the Ilsan Kid's Herald, but I'm having serious problems with the one I'm at now. Here are some highlights:
No sick days.
Vacation is spread into monthly one-day session breaks. Good luck doing any travelling.
Split shifts and a heavy courseload keep me there 11 hours Monday, Wednesday, and Friday plus 8 hours Tuesday and Thursday (assuming I don't come in any earlier or leave any later for prep).
Surveillance cameras in the classroom.
If you do decide to sign on with Kid's Herald, watch out for the following in the contract:
Unpaid "preparation time" - our director has tried dump a lot of unpaid extra work onto us by saying it falls into this category, such as supervising the children at lunch, field trips, and "phone teaching" (calling the students at home so the parents can hear them speaking English). If you sign a contract that requires unpaid preparation time, make sure that it's very specific about what this preparation will include.
Workload being measured in classroom "hours" rather than classroom periods. Insist on 30 50-minute class PERIODS per week MAXIMUM in any contract you sign.
Be very careful with Kid's Herald, as with any contract you sign over here.
http://209.204.62.79/korea/index.cgi?read=122455
Re: Kids Herald in ilsan ( I got offered a job the
Posted By: the dude
Date: Saturday, 4 May 2002, at 8:37 p.m.
In Response To: Re: Kids Herald in ilsan ( I got offered a job the (noname)
Hi
I know a Korean teacher at that school. Avoid it. It is horrible. I hear the director is crazy and always yelling at all the staff. I haven't talked to the foreign staff, but I hear they arent treated terribly well. I would stay away.
http://209.204.62.79/korea/index.cgi?read=124246
Re: Kids Herald in ilsan
Posted By: glenn - [email protected]
Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2002, at 6:16 p.m.
Hey guys,
I am a brother of one of the spouse of a foreign teacher in that damn school that I agree when u all say, it SUCKS!!!
As of the moment, I am planning to file a complaint on behalf of my sister and brother-in-law. teh complaint against the SONGS are in the level of my country's foreign affairs office.
I adviced that you get all your transcripts together so we can probably have a class suit againt that damn school and the SONGS
http://209.204.62.79/korea/index.cgi?read=124570
Kids Herald School-Stay Away
Posted By: Arkysix
Date: Thursday, 16 May 2002, at 12:03 p.m.
This hakwan goes by a variety of names: Shinnae, Bonghwasan, Jungrang. It has become a terrible place to work. Everyone has split shifts which mean long hours with nothing to do. The management assaulted one of the foreign staff and then had him arrested for assault and deported. There isn't any career development or feedback on your teaching. Whenever they do speak with you, it's too critize your classroom techniques but it usually isn't constructive. The atmosphere among the foreign staff is very negative. As with most Korean hakwans they are only in it for the money and will try to rip-off the teachers anyway they can. An example of this was a teacher who they fired was almost deported by immigration for their ineptitude. The list of problems with this hakwan is endless. I am personally aware of these problems having spent an entire year in their employ. I would never work for these people again. Beware signing a contract with them!
http://209.204.62.79/korea/index.cgi?read=124686
Re: Kids Herald School-Stay Away
Posted By: Liela
Date: Thursday, 16 May 2002, at 10:09 p.m.
In Response To: Kids Herald School-Stay Away (Arkysix)
Yes, STAY AWAY! I agree!
Just adding something to the list for the dreaded Shinnae,Bonghwasan,Jungrang Kids Herald...My friend was hired by them last year. She went to the airport all ready to leave for Korea and found out that her plane ticket had been cancelled. She phoned the school and they simply said, "Oh, we changed our mind. We don't need you."
http://209.204.62.79/korea/index.cgi?read=125085
Re: Kids Herald School-Stay Away
Posted By: Anonymous
Date: Sunday, 19 May 2002, at 3:41 a.m.
In Response To: Kids Herald School-Stay Away (Arkysix)
I have to agree whole-heartedly with this message. I also worked for this 'dreaded school' and have many issues with their standard of work practice, in particular:
- lying to parents about reason for employees leaving (ie they quit and parents told they were fired);
- management being entirely inept ie having no sense of confidentiality with private worker issues and relying on coordinator for all real decision making;
- school consistently working employees right up to point where tourist visa about to expire before sending them on visa run (guess you could call it a 'probation period' of sorts);
- verbally and physically abusing staff;
- having the major investor flitting about the school to 'spy' on staff, and having attempted to pass him off as a cleaner!;
- actually encouraging students to complain about teachers in order to gather grounds for 'dismissal';
- promising the world 'verbally' and putting very little in written contract - then totally showing lack of good faith several weeks/months later when it no longer suited their situation;
- failing to pay certain staff on time, and having to be threatened by immigration to pay the worker;
- conducting clearly illegal activites in respect of Korean labour law etc in regards to illegal deductions from pay. Also penalising workers for leaving early by forcing repayment of recruiter fees etc;
- the list goes on and on, but I could write a novella, so I will stop here.
When I left the place, 4 foreign teachers and 3 Korean teachers had left or were planning to leave within the next 1 - 2 months. So no, this is not a foreigner b**ch - Koreans were also refusing to put up with the level of treatment.
So if you want to experience true hogwan style 'water torture' then by all means go to work for this lovely school.
Regards
They who shall remain nameless (for fear of retribution).
http://209.204.62.79/korea/index.cgi?noframes;read=126537
KIDS HERALD IS BAD NEWS
Posted By: shadow
Date: Monday, 27 May 2002, at 2:54 a.m.
I just got back from a bad trip to Korea with the Kids Herald franchise.
To all prospective teachers I would say to avoid the chain in the majority of cases.
I have actual accounts of imprisonment, physical violence, money withheld or just not paid, unrealistic work hours and in general, a total disregard for the contract.
People can torch me for saying it and I know there are some good schools but the numbers on this franchise are starting to way up.
Peace and good luck to all the board!
Korean Job Discussion Forum
Re: My Job - Kids Herald
Posted By: Kiss It (__X__)
Date: Sunday, 9 February 2003, at 8:04 p.m.
In Response To: My Job (Larry Taters)
Here are some more previous posts about Kids Herald:
http://209.204.62.79/korea/index.cgi?read=126953
In response to Newbie
Date: Wednesday, 29 May 2002, at 4:41 a.m.
In Response To: Re: KIDS HERALD IS BAD NEWS (Newbie)
i think i pretty much summed up Kids Herald in my last post
They break contract on a daily basis. Broken promises, threats of physical violence, money withheld, extra unpaid weekend work or training seminars, lack of any clear organisation from within the school (curriculum changes more often than my underwear) Smile Just some of the dramas you're likely to have at Kids Herald. Avoid it if you can or be very very careful in your negotiations and be ready to stand up for what you signed.
Hope this helped, private email me at the address above or in my profile for more info
Cheers!
shadow.....
http://209.204.62.79/korea/index.cgi?read=127339
Re: Kids Herald-Seoul
Posted By: John - [email protected]
Date: Friday, 31 May 2002, at 1:06 a.m.
In Response To: Kids Herald-Seoul (Rob)
You should have mentioned which branch you're curious about. I had the extreme displeasure of working for the one in Chamshil for 3 months, I would not let my worst enemy work there. Blackmail, extortion, lying, and uncooperative co-workers are just some of the pleasures of working for Kids Herald in Chamshil. On the other hand, I have never heard anything bad about the other franchises in and around Seoul, so, take your chances.
http://209.204.62.79/korea/index.cgi?read=127971
Fired while my wife is giving birth
Posted By: Go-Murr - [email protected]
Date: Tuesday, 4 June 2002, at 8:29 a.m.
Yes it's true, I was given the shaft while my wife was due to give birth. First of all i have been teaching in korea for around 5 years and have never seen, heard about or had done to anything this bad.
In dec 01 my wife and I came back to korea after a holiday in Canada. I was working for Kid's herald in Kangnam-gu just off Daechong subway line. The school looks really clean and at first the directors the Songs (SS) seemed really nice helping my 5 month pregnant wife settle in. But things changed quickly, I quickly learned that they had already fired 2 teachers with little reason and had gone through 3 supervisors in 3 months of operation. But i thought nothing of it until in Jan. they fired another teacher for no apparent reason other than she had taken a couple of classes off on a friday to visit a friend and had previous permission to do so. But when she got back on Monday she was fired.
both my wife and I were worried because the SS can so easily get rid of a foreign teacher. Our supervisor who was really good quit at the same time they fired the other teacher. My wife was already packed and ready to head home but I said it depends on whether they pay me my overtime and get our insurance. They did both and we unpacked, big mistake. Another teacher came and went just as quick (midnight run) in feb.
Now at the end of Febuary, the foreign teachers had a meeting with the new supervisor and Mrs. Song. At that meeting another teacher asked twice was anyone else going to get fired? Mrs. Song said no, so I didn't worry to much about it and just went on with doing my job. Then in mid March, i get called in to talk with management and they ask if I would like a transfer. After discussing it with my wife who was no over 8 months pregnant, I said no and nothing more was said. But it turns out the Songs didn't like me because i wouldn't kiss their a** and balked at a lot of really stupid things they wanted the foreigners to do. I did do what they wanted but reluctantly. The Songs are in it for the money while i'm here for money and to teach. I'm not a babysitter or a clown in the classroom. also I overheard the Korean teachers talking about how much money the school was losing. So they decided to get rid of a foreigner by selling me to another school. It turns out that they keep a file on everything you do that they don't like "patting kids on the head" is one example another was "not discussing classes with the Korean teacher", what for? the Korean teacher's are useless.
Anyway i was notified that unless i accepted the transfer I was going to be fired and would have to pay them for the airfare and agency fee some 3,000,000 won. My contract states they have to give me 60 days notice but I might as well have been talking out of my ass, the Songs can't speak or read English, everything is through supervisors of Korean teachers. Anyway, my wife was getting close to her due date and asked to just let my wife give birth and we will accept whatever transfer. No deal and they still wanted me to finish the month which i did because I needed the money and i hoped to reason with them.
But when the end of March came they tried to stiff me on my last pay and housing deposit and said I owed them money. It got ugly in the office when i told them BS and then just left after telling them to F***off. I was still in the apartment and planned to stay there.
On Sunady March 31st, my wife began having contractions 3 weeks early due to the stress they put us through. The Songs came by with one of the korean teachers, who is related to them, to try and get us out. Basically I had to accept the transfer and leave on tuesday. They made a lot of promises especially about the city we would be going to and the school. But my wife's contractions got bigger and I took her to the hospital that night and on April 1st we had a son. When the Songs found out they promised us that we could stay the rest of the week for free in the apartment. But when the time came to get my wife and son out of the hospital, I went to collect my money and out of the 2.3 million they owed i got 850,000 just enought to get them out of the hospital. They took off all the utilities, half my airfare, and 100,000 won for staying the extra week in the apartment. Cheap bastards there was nothing i could do but accept it.
On April 6th my family an I moved to Ye-chon which is a really small town north-west of Andong. There is nothing here but that's okay the aprtement is family size 2 bedroom, living room, bathtub. The school is really relaxed and I have alot of freedom. It took me so long to write because the Songs never gave me my release, which they promised me,and my new director payed alot for me. eventually i had to go to Taegu and explain to immigration and they changed my visa so my family and i are finally free of the Songs.
I found out not to long ago that after i left another teacher took off and I knew that was going to happen before I left. another supervisor has also left making it 6 Foreign teachers and 7 supervisors that have left for one reason or another. This reflects bad management and a waste of resources as it takes alot to bring a foreign teacher here. But the Song's refuse to believe that the fault lies with them and that they are out of their depth. They accused me of being a bad teacher but they have no idea what it was i was doing because they have no understanding of English. How could I have stayed in Korea for 5 years if I was a bad teacher? I have spent those 5 years at only 3 schools and sadly the 3rd one was Kid's Herald Ilwon-dong Kangnam-gu.
My wife and new born baby are doing great, the stress that we expienced in Seoul is gone and things are going great.
marty
http://209.204.62.79/korea/index.cgi?read=127981
Re: Fired while my wife is giving birth
Posted By: BulSaJo
Date: Tuesday, 4 June 2002, at 9:58 a.m.
In Response To: Fired while my wife is giving birth (Go-Murr)
Wow, glad everything worked out for you. I lived in that area (Irwon-dong) but never met anyone from the Kids Herald (2 blocks down from the Nasan Office-tel, right?), I think now I know why- the management never kept anyone long enough for them to get acquainted with the neighborhood.
http://209.204.62.79/korea/index.cgi?read=128047
Re: Fired while my wife is giving birth
Posted By: Shelly (Kids Herald Victim)
Date: Tuesday, 4 June 2002, at 7:08 p.m.
Well Marty...haven't talked to u in awhile but glad mommy and baby are doing well and I am glad that you are far away from the EVIL SS and Kids Herald...for anyone who read Marty's post it is all true..I am the teacher who he spoke of that got fired in Jan..for what reason I still have no clue...they say now to the new staff I wasn't fired I left because my visa was screwed up!! HA HA HA!! I went away for a weekend to Waegwon to visit a friend..got back to school Monday and was fired at the end of the day... and told I owed them like 5 grand...for what..I don't know..luckily I was on a plane within 20 hrs out of that place..Mrs.Song is fire happy. I loved the school and the kids but have never met such snakey ruthless people in all my life..and heartless since they fired Marty when his wife was about to have a baby and then didn't pay him..I love Korea..had a blast..but this school is the absolute worst place imaginable...and it gets worse with each passing day...if u ever get approached to work there..JUST STAY THE HELL AWAY!!! Take care Marty and tell N hi for me! To T who is still taking the sh-t at Kids Herald..hang in there I loves ya! AND GET UR ASS BACK TO CANADA ALREADY!
Kongju -
http://209.204.62.79/korea/index.cgi?read=128191
Runner from Kid's Herald-Daechong
Posted By: Annnnn [email protected]
Date: Wednesday, 5 June 2002, at 3:24 p.m.
In Response To: Re: Fired while my wife is giving birth (Shelly (Kids Herald Victim))
I also worked for the Kid's Herald. It looks like a great place to work - the school is beautifully designed for children. Hooooowwwwevvvver, I was stunned at the enormity of the labor violations, unpaid overtime, overworked and underappreciated teachers, and the fact that so many teachers had fled or been fired under flimsy excuses. I was there a little more than a month and it felt like a year. I got out of there as fast as I could. I have worked for bad schools before (OeDae) but this one really took the cake. I had 6 contact hours but was expected to stay for much longer. I was constantly exhausted, stressed, and sick from such an ugly environment. Stay away.....
http://209.204.62.79/korea/index.cgi?read=128226
Shadow shares your dislike for Kids Herald
Date: Wednesday, 5 June 2002, at 7:30 p.m.
In Response To: Runner from Kid's Herald-Daechong (Annnnn)
I have been where you guys are.
I left too because of the gross mismanagement and violations and utter futility of trying to get some positive outcomes.
Kids Herald will learn their lesson if we all continue to share our stories and help prospective teachers stay clear of them.
Best of luck to you both.
shadow
http://209.204.62.79/korea/index.cgi?read=128557
Everything Marty wrote is true
Posted By: Annn Marie [email protected]
Date: Friday, 7 June 2002, at 12:18 p.m.
In Response To: Shadow shares your dislike for Kids Herald (shadow)
When I posted my response to Shelley's message, I forgot to state that I was there for the whole mess regarding Marty and his wife. Everything he wrote is true and in fact the atmosphere during that time and afterward before I left was absolutely horrible. The owners are the most twisted people...they not only lack ethics but they lack common sense. It just doesn't make sense to fire people every month. I was scared I wouldn't get paid....would be forced to work more hours...wouldn't be able to escape from that situation. I felt nothing but happiness and freedom when I got to the airport. It was the best feeling in the world! Now I can really teach! I wish the best for everyone touched "by the taint of Kid's Herald EVIL!!!"
=======================================
http://209.204.62.79/korea/index.cgi?read=128556
Re: Out of ten teachers in SK, how many get fired?
Posted By: Ann Marie
Date: Friday, 7 June 2002, at 12:05 p.m.
In Response To: Out of ten teachers in SK, how many get fired? (Fired)
At the Kangnam Oedae they fired 1 teacher, 2 left (were released with no problems) before I and the new teachers got there....after 3 months all three of us were fired and I don't know the status of the teachers since. The next hogwan I worked for...the infamous Kid's Herald at Daechong Station...they had fired 3 people previous to my arrival and 1 had done a runner. One person got fired while I worked there and I waited to get my money and I did a runner. Both of the schools were terrible places to work, with highly irregular (basically illegal) work practices in the way they treated the foreign worker. I am an excellent teacher but that's not what is important at 99% of the hagwons. Kissing butt seems to be the bst way to survive if your position seems worth it. Teaching in Korea is pretty pathetic-can you call it teaching?
Ann Marie
http://www.eslcafe.com/jobinfo/asia/sefer.cgi?display:1024483384-28228.txt
'more than enough' problems at Kids Herald
Name: lou
Now living: Devon, England
e.mail: [email protected]
Date:19th June 2002
I am writing this two days after returning to England from Pundang Korea, where I have been teaching for the past Six months. My experience has been particularly bad, and I wanted to write this so that other teachers did not end up teaching at Nambundang Kids Herald School, Hyundae Plaza, Pundang, Seoul. The school is directed by a lady and two men, from the 'Say' promotions company. All the teachers were treated badly, Korean and foreign and when I ran away, my co-worker did too. The other foreign teacher left a couple of months before us, and we were forced to tell the students he was in hospital with mental problems.
For 5 months we lived in study rooms (hardly the furnished apartment I had been sent pictures of!) and barely had any hot water during the freezing winter. Finally we were moved to another flat and after spending several nights with no bed or furniture, we called a strike. The Say men did provide us with some furniture at this point, and told us we weren't allowed to tell anyone 'secret secret, no complain'.
On several occasions they went into our flat whilst we were teaching and had obviously been looking for any evidence of planned escapes. My co-worker had her New Zealand passport stolen, and did not get it back for at least two weeks because everyone denied responsibility.
The children were very badly behaved, it seems that Nambundang Kids Herald cared more for parent's fees than they did for the safety and mental health of their teachers. By the time I left, I was teaching 80 minute classes to large, uncontrollable classes, from 9.30 am to 7.30 p.m. Although inspectors tried to close the school down, we were made to teach in tiny rooms down the hall until they stopped checking that the school was not still in operation.
Although I was paid on time, a number of other teachers I taught with were not paid(the staff turn over for Korean and foreign teachers was extremely high), or had to literally pull the money out of the Director's hands and leg it out of the school (Rachel, bless you!).
I have never met anybody as deceptive, cruel and back stabbing as those three directors, and I want anyone who is considering teaching to know how dreadful they were at that school, BE WARNED. Recent e.mails from friends I left behind have said that the director has brought the Korean version of the SS in to find us, wanted to tap their phone in case I rang, the directors only excuse is 'I GAVE THEM FRIDGE!' For all those who suffered with me at Nambundang Kids Herald school, this is for you.
http://209.204.62.79/korea/index.cgi?read=131150
Re: Kids Herald Song-Buk-Gu
Posted By: The Magpie
Date: Thursday, 20 June 2002, at 8:27 p.m.
In Response To: Kids Herald Song-Buk-Gu (The Doctor)
A mate of mine worked there for a couple of months last year. The accommodation was top class but the school itself was a bit of a nightmare with a total lack of organisation, resources and leadership. This was last year so it may have changed, but this chain of schools does not have the best reputation.
======================================
http://www.koreanesl.com/forumdsp.asp?ser=800
Name: me
E-Mail Address: me#korea.com
Title: Kids Herald Kyeyang Gu
I am writing this post to warn prospective teachers coming to Korea.I worked for the Kids Herald school in Kyeyang-gu, Incheon for seven months.
During that time, had the misfortune of witnessing first hand the mismanagement,physical and verbal abuse and illegal work practices of this firm.
I have actual accounts of violence, illegal foreign workers, blackmail and unrealistic expectations that the foreign and Korean teachers of this school were subjected to.
In its first year of operation, over 10 foreign teachers have left the school in the night due to the actions of the school's director - MR H.G JUNG and it's senior staff members - JASON KIM (Vice Principal) and "Bridget"(co-ordinator).
I have also left the school and can supply detailed evidence as to why you should avoid this school at all costs. I sincerely hope that the senior management of this chain look into the treatment foreigners have endured at this school and the hundreds of contract and labour law violations it has been responsible for.
Im also a realist however, and although my view of Koreans in general is as a friendly people, association with these individuals will certainly cloud that view.
Please be careful when dealing with Kids Herald and feel free to contact me if you'd like further information on this firm.
http://www.eslcafe.com/korea/index.cgi?read=132710140353
Re: KH Honge dong
Posted By: Peter B.
Date: Wednesday, 28 August 2002, at 4:37 p.m.
In Response To: KH Honge dong (New Teacher)
I worked there and had a pretty bad experience. The boss is very controlling and is only interested in the bottom line. Worse he has his children do his dirty work for him and if that doesnt suffice he will resort to strongarm tactics. Its too bad because the kids were great. Korea has so much to offer but if you land in one of the bad schools it will make your stay VERY unpleasant. I would look in to Pagoda they have a good rep. Best of luck.
http://www.eslcafe.com/korea/index.cgi?read=132710140635
Beware of Kids Herald in Suji
Posted By: arlie - [email protected]
Date: Thursday, 29 August 2002, at 10:37 p.m.
I have just finished teaching at this school and I have nothing good to say about my experience. The message posted by Kiss_It about Kids Herald in Ilsa-dong may as well apply to the Suji location. If you are contacted by them (they are still looking for new teachers as 4 of us left around the same time) and if you want to know what is really going on there, just send me an e-mail.
http://www.eslcafe.com/korea/index.cgi?read=132710140883
Re: Teaching in Sokcho?
Posted By: Felipe
Date: Monday, 2 September 2002, at 3:04 p.m.
In Response To: Teaching in Sokcho? (jordy)
As for Kid's Herald Sokcho, I would avoid them if you can. All the teachers there are presently unhappy. If you want to check for sure, get their e-mails from the director, if you can. I will not go into details because it is not my school, but I know the people that work there and they are not happy.
http://www.eslcafe.com/korea/index.cgi?read=132710141026
Re: Teaching in Sokcho?
Posted By: Cornfedgirl - [email protected]
Date: Tuesday, 3 September 2002, at 7:26 a.m.
In Response To: Re: Teaching in Sokcho? (Felipe)
"Kids Herald" To say the current and most recently departed teachers are Unhappy is an understatement or an attempt to be kind to that institution.
http://www.eslcafe.com/korea/index.cgi?read=132710141435
Institutes Warned
Posted By: Alas Atlas
Date: Thursday, 5 September 2002, at 5:54 p.m.
There are some bad places to work in Korea. Many Korean employers will lie to you. Korean employers in universities and educational institutes will lie to you about your salary, benefits, and taxes. Foreigners can expect to be deceived and cheated. Koreans also deceive other Koreans very often. The evidence of the deceptive practices can be found in newspapers.
English Schools Fined
The Korea Fair Trade Commission (KFTC) said Thursday that it has investigated large-scale private English language institutes for children, which usually operate as national franchises. The commission said that after the investigation, it issued orders for the schools to correct their misleading advertisements.
Language schools hit with punitive measures included Wonderland, Swatton Language School, LCI Kids Club, ECC, and Kid's Herald. from the National news section of the Chosun Ilbo, September 5, 2002.
You can find the KFTC report at:
http://ftc.go.kr/english/htm1/index.htm.
(or http://ftc.go.kr/data/hwp/20020906am.hwp ).
The report is currently only written in Korean.
How do you get correct information about salaries, benefits, and taxes? You have to have a family member in the university or institute. Korean family members will be a little more honest to other family members. Do you have a Korean family member?
http://www.eslcafe.com/jobinfo/asia/sefer.cgi?display:1031279298-21508.txt
Avoid Kid's Herald SeoDaeMoon
September 5, 2002
Scott Griffin
Guntown, Mississippi, USA
[email protected]
Avoid working at the Kid's Herald SeoDaeMoon which is located in Hongje Dong. The school is run by Mr. Bae. Or rather he calls the shots mostly having his college age children do the work. If it requires muscle he will step in or have some of his boys do the deed. The premise of the school is not to educate or even do anything remotely in that direction. Bae is a control freak and he only wants minions. Yet he seems to even run those away. My apt was broken into by Mr. Bae and I was often put in situations where no right move existed. My private life was scrutinized and my diploma and passport were confiscated. I was told that if I left the "worst thing" would happen. If anyone would like further info please contact me and I would be happy to supply it.

=============================================================
Posted By: arlie <"mailto:[email protected]?subject=Beware of Kids Herald in Suji">
Date: Friday, 20 September 2002, at 6:44 a.m.
I am once again repeating my warning about Kids Herald in Suji. If you are contacted by this school, let me know. You have a right to know what is really going on in this school from a teacher who worked there and would never come back. Suji in general is a bad place to live at. Write me if you want to know more details.

===========================================================
Suji Kids Herald
Posted By: Mr Bungle <"mailto:[email protected]?subject=Suji Kids Herald">
Date: Thursday, 19 September 2002, at 4:09 a.m.

My name's Koan, and I'm a Canadian citizen working at Kids Herald in Suji. It's come to my attention that someone has been conducting a smear campaign on this board against my school. I feel this campaign is unfair and in no way representative of the majority of people who have worked for this Kids Herald branch. I've found the owner, Mr Shim, to be fair and more than generous. I've also found that the contract outlines the job's expectations, and is kept to. While I haven't spent a lot of time here, a number of my colleges have, and they would agree with me when I say that Suji Kids Herald is a pretty good place to work.
If you have any questions, feel free to email me. I can also supply the email addresses of other teachers at the school. Please don't bother flaming me. I won't read or respond to any argument based solely on spite.

==================================
Re: Suji Kids Herald
Posted By: arlie <"mailto:[email protected]?subject=Re: Suji Kids Herald">
Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2002, at 1:10 p.m.
In Response To: "http://www.eslcafe.com/korea/index.cgi?noframes;read=132710143190" (Mr Bungle)
As far as I remember, even the Korean teachers at the school in question are not satisfied with the overload of work and chauvinistic treatment. But the are KOreans, so they will not voice their dissatisfaction in public. The only two people who seem to be happy there are the director (or rather he was before he started losing students, mostly because of his ignorance and arrogance, now he only pretends to be happy) and the foreign head teacher, who hardly ever does anything and makes more money than any other employee. Kids Herald in Suji only looks good on the outside (especially when parents come over) and Koan, the new teacher will find it out very soon, especially after his visa run. Besides, with all the other warnings about Kids Herald in Suji and some other Kids Herald locations, I would think twice about going there. There are many things that are wrong with this school, so if you want to know the details, write to me.
Former employee (not naive anymore)

==============================================================

Korean Job Discussion Forum
Avoid Kid's Herald SeoDaeMoon
Posted By: Scott_A_Griffin <"mailto:[email protected]?subject=Avoid Kid's Herald SeoDaeMoon">
Date: Friday, 4 October 2002, at 2:46 p.m.
This location is run by the Bae Family and is located in Hongje-dong (Seoul). Avoid at all costs. Email me if you would like particulars. There are good schools out there stay away from this one.

=============================================================
http://www.koreanesl.com/forumdsps.asp?ser=6562
Name
kidsheraldgirl
E-Mail Address
nododienos#hotmail.com
Title
I work for KidsHerald - 2003/01/03
Hi. I work for Kids Herald. And I have been working here for almost 8 months. ALthough each school is different, I will say that I am enjoying my experience here at my hagwon. I will not renew at this school, only because i want to move to another area...but you can always check out the website, and see for yourself, the structure/standards of the school.

Hope this helps.

www.koreaherald.com

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.eslcafe.com/forums/korea/viewtopic.php?t=521
spankmyass
Posted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 4:09 am Post subject: Chamsil Kids Herald
Let's see if Dave posts this. Chamsil Kids Herald is total CRAP. Beware. The Director is an arrogant, theiving, dictator. He thinks he is God. He stole my money, tried to screw me on vacation days, and then had the audacity to blame a downturn in student enrollment on my "teaching". This clown needs to go out of business. No wonder the turnover rate is off the wall.
Hagwon Muppet

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2003 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woah! I almost took a job at Jungrang Kids Herald until I read that - Daves ESL saves the day there.

Phew!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: