Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Moving to Jindo in a month!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Koreabound2004

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 10:04 am    Post subject: Moving to Jindo in a month!!! Reply with quote

My boyfriend and I are moving to Jindo, a small island of 45,000 people near Jeju. Any survival tips?
Yangkho

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll find everything you need in Jindo-eup, but not everything you want. (I mean no Walmart or "Mart"s of any consequence in which to buy certain Western things.) But, as I said, everything you need.

No problem, as you'll be relatively close to Mokpo and not unreasonably far from Gwangju...but I'm telling you things you already know, no doubt.

Make foreign friends in Mokpo on the weekends and you can survive out there no problem, because in my opinion, and this is JMHO, there is enough to do on Jindo and the nearby islands, as well as in Mokpo (and the islands near there)...and in nearby Haenam county to keep one busy enough. And of course the friendliness of the people of South Cheolla helps.

I wish you the best of luck.
Koreabound2004

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 6:19 am    Post subject: Any Western Restaurants Reply with quote

KFC, McDonalds, BK? Anything on Jindo like this????
osangrl

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hahahahahahahhahahahahahahahha

is that a joke?

hahahahhahahaha
katydid

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll be surrounded by dogs...no that's not what I mean.
schwa

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: Any Western Restaurants Reply with quote

I was going to remark that it sounded like a cool adventure you had lined up but the following question suggests you have no idea what youre getting into.

Koreabound2004 wrote:
KFC, McDonalds, BK? Anything on Jindo like this????

Best luck anyway.
Koreabound2004

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know what I am getting myself into, but I thought that there might be a small chance of something Westernized. Sorry I asked.... Crying or Very sad
Yangkho

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Koreabound,

I believe in Jindo-eup you'll find a Lotteria, the Korean fast-food place, plus some semi-westernized places like Crown Bakery and Paris Baguette.

If you're really in a bind, take a bus to Mokpo. It's an hour away and you can eat as many hamburgers there as you want...and you can buy deodorant, too.
just because

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Koreabound....it will be an adventure you will either love or hate by the sounds of it.

Take the risk and go for it.....you might end up loving it.
Yangkho

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more thing:

Get a motor bike. Easy access to all corners of the island & beyond. Great stress reliever to be able to ride down to the seashore in the morning before work or whatever.

You can get one used & cheap. They might give you trouble if you don't have an international drivers license. Or they might not. It's Korea.

Actually, if you're in the Jeollanamdo Language Program or whatever it's called, you might have to ride out to different villages and to different schools, so a bike would be perfect.
Koreabound2004

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Yangkho...your comments are much appreciated. Has anyone heard much about the JLP program there?
Yangkho

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The JLP. I've never met whoever you're going to replace down in Jindo, but I have met other teachers from the program in other counties in South Jeolla, and what little I know is: at certain times of the year the schedule can be little maddening with conferences and teacher training programs; there aren't any night classes; there is some fantastic, long vacation time (during which the teachers don't know what to do with themselves...I'm at a hakwon, I don't know what that's like). Sorry, don't know much more than that. Of course, your situation could very well be quite different.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: