Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korean Australian

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grey17

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2003 10:02 pm    Post subject: Korean Australian Reply with quote

Feels great to finally be able to post!

Ok. A few queries for all of those who seem to know more about living in Korea than most.

1- As a Korean Australian, should I
a) get an F4 visa
b) get an E2 visa

I understand the advantage of the F4 is that I can do everything like all
other Koreans, for up to two years, other than vote. But does this tend
to turn off prospective employers?

2- If i handle my own visa, airfare, accomodation, how much leeway would an average employer give me in settling contract terms.

3- How much crap do most Gyopo's have to deal with for not speaking 100% fluently, looking Asian etc?
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2003 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Visa:
You'll probably be better off getting F4, but I'm not an expert on the visa subject.

Gyopos:
Some have a horrible time, and some can run through Korea as blindly as the next foreigner and make out like a bandit. It all depends on who you know. You'll hear tons of stories from everyone.

Sorry I can't offer better advice.
Pets wonderland

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2003 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi! I'm also a Korean- Australian. Go for the f4, it's easy to get, and what's more, Koreans like it that way. This visa enables you to do wahtever you want. be it teaching, sightseeing,studying etc, and employers like the fact they don't have to sponsor you for an E2 visa. E2 can be quite limiting and you have to get it renewed every time you change employers.

Well, the job market- I've been badly stuffed around by 2 hagwons already and would probably not go back into the scene. I'm totally freelancing now and I make more money and I only teach adults. At first it's difficult to get started and you'll face many knockbacks from employers because you're not white. I've never actually experienced a knockback as such, but it was more the fact they wanted to give me the same salary as a Korean teacher. Some schools said to me outright that they found my qualifications burdensome- a masters degree plus 6 years of teaching experience in kindergartens and schools, but they still didn't want to pay proper wages. Once you get known as a good teacher, then you can make some good money in the private scene. It helps if you can speak both languages fluently though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: