Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

EXERCISE IN KOREA: Buying protein, gym stories, etc
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tokki

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyway, schedule is back to normal! 3 to 9. AWSOME. Now I have the mornings to get to the gym. I usually woke up at 7 and went to the gym, and that also allowed me to study Korean from 10:30 or 11 until 2 pm. On this stupid vacation schedule I had no time to study, cause Id be so damn tired after work AND the gym that Id just come home after my workout and slack off. Now its back to normal....too bad my damn director didnt tell me the schedule changed. Had to actually go to my school and be told, by a surprised boss, that the sched changed. Why didnt I know? Cause you didnt tell me you dumbass!

So anyway, Im off to the gym now.
peppermint

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I know I'm a late starter, but I finally got my first paycheck from the new job, and can afford the gym membership.

I want to develop my upper body, more to prevent the halmonie hump than anything else. I like weight training, and am not afraid of developing muscles, though I don't want to look like a lumpy couch.

The thing is, I don't trust my form enough for freeweights yet- especially as I've got a sprained wrist at the moment.

What do you guys suggest?
tokki

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im still on track. The weather has been awsome here for the past few days. Maybe in a month its gonna be t shirt weather. Cant wait.

Saturday is coming soon and its gonna be another chest day, and after that Im takingmy wife out to eat raw fish. Hopefully its gonna be nice and warm.
Juggertha

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah.. raw fish! protein from the peninsula gods!!
tokki

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Juggertha wrote:
ah.. raw fish! protein from the peninsula gods!!

Raw fish is God's food. One of the healthiest and best sources of protein and Im gonna feat on it till Im ready to explode. Gonna be a great way to follow up that chest work out.
tokki

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did chest, forearms and triceps today. No cardio. Off to feast on raw fish soon. Good protein kick.

Almost killed some ajoshi who just came in and figured it was fine to change the channel on the TV. I was watching something and he just changed it. Um, it was in English, and the lone person in the place is a waygook ... Get a clue loser. Thats why I like to go really early and have the whole place to myself. NO DUMBASSES to put up with.

Zyz, machines are a wast of time. Are you, or are you not, making more progress now than when you were on the machines? Also, the difference in what you could do on a machine and with freeweights was staggering, was it not? I dont buy that machines help you learn good form. Had you started earlier on freeweights you would be lifting more now. Machines are good as a finisher, when you want to do an extra heavy set and u want to do it safely. Then, use a machine. Anyway, my position on machines is never going to change because machines will never simulate real weights because they are not real weights. Its all about the cold, heartless iron baby.
Juggertha

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok then.. lets pick another topic for discussion...

what is everyones thoughts on the other people in your local gym?

In mine I have a decent mix.

there's about 6 guys (koreans) that have done recent bodybuilding shows.
about 10 guys that have done powerlifting meets. And untold numbers of guys that do some type of tae-kwon-do kick while warming up for aweight lifting set.

heheh, i think i lucked out actually cuz even the Ajummas are somewhat serious at my gym. I get the occasional gawker but for the most part they seem genuinely interested and are wanting to learn new approaches.

My first year here I tried to help a few in their contest preps. Helped an old master place decent and trained with the guy who go 2nd (?) in the Mr Korea's heavyweight div. But as it stands right now, i'd be lucky to help myself (still feeling pretty small).

Anyone else out there enjoying their gym?
tokki

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Juggertha wrote:
ok then.. lets pick another topic for discussion...

what is everyones thoughts on the other people in your local gym?

In mine I have a decent mix.

there's about 6 guys (koreans) that have done recent bodybuilding shows.
about 10 guys that have done powerlifting meets. And untold numbers of guys that do some type of tae-kwon-do kick while warming up for aweight lifting set.

heheh, i think i lucked out actually cuz even the Ajummas are somewhat serious at my gym. I get the occasional gawker but for the most part they seem genuinely interested and are wanting to learn new approaches.

My first year here I tried to help a few in their contest preps. Helped an old master place decent and trained with the guy who go 2nd (?) in the Mr Korea's heavyweight div. But as it stands right now, i'd be lucky to help myself (still feeling pretty small).

Anyone else out there enjoying their gym?

Geez. What gym do you go to? My gym has a bunch of people who come and dont even lift, there are the guys who struggle to bench 25 kgs but continue to bench, and ONLY BENCH, every day, a bunch of ajummas, and other than me 2 guys who actually move good weights.

Why did you stop lifting? Sounds like you were in really good shape.
Juggertha

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah i've only stopped twice in my life...

once when i tore my left bicep (and subsequently went off crank) and once a year ago. I had kept training fairly well in korea. wasn't gaining any weight but refining things nicely. Thing is, I got a girl friend and just worked it out of my life. Now, its time to get it back in my life (hehe).

Truth be told, I never had the genetics to go too far (looks back at old debate). But I have a real passion for the gym and for helping people in it. I just got a new co-worker at my school and the buggers bigger than me 9for now). Seemed like the right time to get back into it. He's got hte strenght and i've got the plan.. seems like a decent combo.

oh and yeah, I hitnk i kinda lucked out when it ocmes to my gym. make no mistake, its not like back home. I have to jurry-rig alot of exercises, but theres some good people there.
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've quit my gym here in Korea(going home) but...

-The bossman there was/is a pretty big guy, definitely the strongest at the gym. He's lost a lot from his pro days, but he does have good advice for me from time to time.
-One older dude who benches like crazy. He does have a routine, and he's not small, and he is okay at the bench compared to me, but he doesn't seem to be improving very quickly.
-A couple of guys who've been training for a few years, and are in better physical shape than myself, but don't seem to be lifting much more than me. And I'm not lifting a lot to begin with Confused
-A ton of turds who think that the bench and leg squeeze machines are their bestest friends in the whole wide world.
-Chicks who run a lot.

Eh...
tokki

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My gym rules. I bet none of ya have a 10 year old boy who thinks hes a tiger and who growls, makes noises like achimp and talks to himself. geeez....

Oh, and now that we have the inevitable "I can lift more than you can so na na na na na...." highschool sophmoric post out of the way, courtesy of tsgarp, lets move on.
Honeybee

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone here doing the Suwon marathon??
There's a stupid full marathon and sane 10km run,

April 4 I think, 20,000 entry fee, it starts at 9am on a sunday, which sux

www.suwonmarathon.pe.kr
Mr. Pink

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheUrbanMyth wrote:
prairieboy wrote:
It'd be nice to have a spotter too. I see guys in my gym struggle to make the lowest notch on the bench without a spotter. I watch them and get ready to run over if they get into trouble. I also see guys who come with training buddies and they work completely different body parts and ignore each other most of the time. A training buddy is a spotter and a source of inspiration when you are struggling to get those last two or three reps out. You can have a small competition to make the lifting more interesting too.

I just was thinking about this and got curious. To the other people on this thread, what do you prefer, spotter or no spotter?

Obviously there are a couple of good advantages to having a spotter, (such as Mr. Prairieboy outlined in his post above), chief among them is that if you get stuck s/he can help you out.

But there are negatives too. For one you may become somewhat dependent on your training partner. If they do not show up, sometimes this causes people to be rather "listless" and train less hard than they would otherwise. You have to find someone who is as dedicated as you, whose training goals and style are the same, and who has the same 'schedule' (ie work, lifestyle). This would be the ideal training partner.

I generally train alone, but in a power rack with pins. This eliminates the need for a training partner for safety reasons. For example if I am benching, I set the pins to just above my chest. This way if I go to failure and get stuck I can rest the bar on the pins and slide out from under it. This can work for squats and other exercises as well. The benefit of this is that you can work as heavy as you want in complete safety (assuming the equipment is solid and stable). Definitely better than a training partner, because the pins' attention doesn't get distracted by some hottie in spandex while you are gasping for air under a three hundred pound bench. Laughing

What if your gym doesnt have that? I know mine doesnt.

My bench ability is getting better. But I've only been doing free weights for a month or so, and I am betting it takes me about 3-4mths to get a good solid routine going.

My biggest problem is I have a fubar'd shoulder and that limits the weights I can do free style as my shoulder does a lot more work than when I use a machine. (Not sure why this is...)

I'll be changing gyms next month...hopefully I can find one that has all the equipment I am looking for. My current gym is pretty small.
TheUrbanMyth

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Pink wrote:

What if your gym doesnt have that? I know mine doesnt.

My bench ability is getting better. But I've only been doing free weights for a month or so, and I am betting it takes me about 3-4mths to get a good solid routine going.

My biggest problem is I have a fubar'd shoulder and that limits the weights I can do free style as my shoulder does a lot more work than when I use a machine. (Not sure why this is...)

I'll be changing gyms next month...hopefully I can find one that has all the equipment I am looking for. My current gym is pretty small.

If your gym doesn't have that, I would suggest looking for a new gym that does. A power rack is an indispensible piece of equipment for a serious trainer (at least in my humble opinion.)

As for your shoulder, there are pieces of equipment out there that specialize in helping injuried bodyparts. The one I am thinking of is called the Shoulder Horn. Basically its a type of yoke that holds your shoulders in their most biomechanically sound position (I think that how they describe it). Anyway it is recommended for people who have previous shoulder injuries and people who want to reduce the chance of said shoulder injury. I have never used it, so I can't speak for it, but it might possibly be worth looking into.

Good luck in your search for a new gym. Cool

Last edited by TheUrbanMyth on Sun Feb 22, 2004 2:37 am; edited 3 times in total
Yaya

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I've lost 25 pounds since returning to the US. How? Doing NOTHING! I got so stressed adapting to LA and the like and it hurt my appetite. Furthermore, I haven't eaten much in the way of carbs, and I'm sure that has helped. My metabolism has also sped up here, and I'm not sure why. For some unknown reason, I urinate a LOT more than I did in Korea even though I hardly drink alcohol in LA.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: