Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

EXERCISE IN KOREA: Buying protein, gym stories, etc
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheUrbanMyth

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to take this thread in another direction (temporarily) who hates gym trainers? (My rant for the day).

I just joined a new gym in town. My first day was okay, I did a leg workout and went home.

Today, I was there to train chest, and triceps. I was settling into the shoulder machine to do some warmups. I hadn't even set the weight for my first set when this big Korean guy steps in front of me and introduces himself as the gym trainer. He tells me before I workout I have to warmup. (usually I warmup with weights and a bit of stretching between warmup sets). Anyway he wanted me to either warmup with the treadmill or the bike. I figured okay, I'd play along and maybe he would get bored and forget about me. No such luck. After about ten minutes on the bike, he came along and started showing me how to do stretches. Most of them I could do okay, some I just couldn't get. But total flexibility is not my goal. Being more flexible than the average person is fine and that is where I am at.

After wasting half-an-hour of my time with this nonsense, I insisted that we weight lift. He wanted to do abs, but I told him it was my chest day. So we started doing chest (with machines) I wanted to barbell bench press. It was then that he asked me my goals. I told him that I wanted to be strong and that I used the bench, deadlift and squat. Apparently he misunderstood me, because he got this "Let's humour the crazy person" smile on his face and told me that in his opinion my body was not ready for the squat, deadlift and bench. I should start slow and work up to these lifts. We argued about this for a while, until it finally dawned on me that he thought (based on my performance in the stretches). So I told him I wanted to deadlift.

Giving in we walked over to the power rack and I set the pins about two inchs below my knees. (I choose to do partial deads for this demonstration). I then put on a pair of 15 kilo plates and did an set of warm-up's. Then a set of twenty's. All the while the trainer and his buddies watched with a look that said "When this guy can't lift what we can maybe then he'll admit we were right."
I got up to about 130 kilos for 5 reps. The trainer looked at me. Then he looked at the weight on the bar. "Uh, well if you need me, I'm at the counter." Then he walked away, and I was left alone to train chest. Finally!

Just had to get that off my chest (sorry for the pun)
tsgarp

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your mistake was humoring him in the first place. I would've just gone through my routine and told him "gajuseyo!" Go away please!
Mr. Pink

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope I don't get that bull when I join a new gym this weekend.

I am going for 1 month memberships. If I join a gym where I get harassed, BOOM time to check out another place.
Juggertha

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lmao for some reason i've heard tons of these stories about "personal trainers" in gyms. Both here and back home, for some reason these ppl seem to want to prove their worth.

I've never had one come up to me (ever) so i'm not really sure how i'd handle it. Both of the guys at my gym watched me and eventually asked if I could train them for abit (both were alot bigger than me actually).

I htink ya did fine though man. You could have told him to bugger off. You could have got in his face.. but why bother. Ya let him feel that he was doing his job and in the end he most likely realized you really didn't need his help.

who knows, if he can speak decent English you might have made yourself an eventual training partner?
Juggertha

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My gym used to be better for that but for some unexplained reason the manager got rid of alot fo the free weights.

Still one set at 80lbs so not too bad off.
Gideon

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:21 am    Post subject: Gym partner Reply with quote

I am new on here and was looking for some good places to work out. I just arrived here in Seoul a couple of weeks ago. And i am dying to get back into the gym. I am also looking for a partner who can be dedicated to working out at least 5 days a week. Anyone here up to the challenge please let me know. Thanks...
Gideon

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:23 am    Post subject: Supplements Reply with quote

Anyone know of some good supplement stores i can get some whey protien and other stuff???
Juggertha

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Gym partner Reply with quote

Gideon wrote:
I am new on here and was looking for some good places to work out. I just arrived here in Seoul a couple of weeks ago. And i am dying to get back into the gym. I am also looking for a partner who can be dedicated to working out at least 5 days a week. Anyone here up to the challenge please let me know. Thanks...

where are you living man?

Also, for suppliments I usually head to namdeamun. Theres an underground market that has most eveything at decent prices.
tokki

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Gym partner Reply with quote

Juggertha wrote:
Gideon wrote:

where are you living man?

Also, for suppliments I usually head to namdeamun. Theres an underground market that has most eveything at decent prices.

What are the prices like there?
prairieboy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tokki wrote:
What are the prices like there?

I remember that market in Namdaemun. There is some hard to find stuff from the base...blackmarket items as they aren't supposed to be taken off base for sale as I understand.

I was tempted to pick up some supplements last year around this time but the few people I asked gave me a price that was comparable with what it would cost me at home. At anyrate, beware of the guys and gals who try to stick it to ya on the price but most of all, be sure to check the expiry dates on any supplements you do buy from that market. I've seen perishable goods sitting out, not refridgerated like bacon and the price was way beyond reasonable.

There are many stalls down there so shop around until you find a good deal and reasonably fresh supplements.

Good luck.

As for me, no supplements other than multivitamins at the moment.

Down another kg to 91kg now. Overall strength and endurance is increasing at a steady pace. It took a month to get the weight to start coming off noticeably. I tend to put on more weight when I start lifting, as happened this time, but within a month it starts to fall off rather quickly.

5 months to go to get another 6-8kg off. I'd like to actually take myself down to 80kg. I can probably do that providing I keep up with doing what I'm doing now.

Cheers
Juggertha

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I htink its about 50k for a big tup of protein or a med size tub of cell tech.
rawiri

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how about creatine?, i live out of seoul but if i knew where to score some i would make a trip specifically for. any ideas gents?
animalbirdfish

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rawiri wrote:
how about creatine?, i live out of seoul but if i knew where to score some i would make a trip specifically for. any ideas gents?

As Juggs said, you can pick up Cell Tech at Namdaemun, which is where I used to buy it and I'll assume they still stock it. This is just a brand of creatine. That'll set you back about 50K. There's other varieties as well, but the Cell-Tech is bonded with simple carbs, whereas the other stuff generally isn't, as I recall.
oldfort

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you guys don't mind my butting in with endurance blather: I ran the half-marathon close to two hours yesterday. I think my time was 2:04, but a friend says that it was actually under, considering the time I spent after the start trying to get to the start line with the rest of the crowd. It's a sort of slow time, but okay for a first time, I guess. I didn't stop except for a few seconds to chug water/gatorade, and that made me happy because I haven't been eating properly the past week and a half because of stomach problems and so wasn't sure if I could run the whole thing, and finish it properly with a solid sprint at the end. But I did.

Anyway, I just had to say that--I felt good about the thing and now wish to tackle a full marathon. Best of luck with your own endeavours, and greatest fitness vibes to y'all/////////////////////////.
Keepongoing

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 4:41 am    Post subject: Not Really Right Fo This Thread but: Reply with quote

Just joined a fitness center for 150,000 for 3 months. It has Buffalo equipment and free weights, all new. Anyway it has been years since I lifted. I was always taught that you exercised differebt muscles each day, giving at least a day of rest for each group? Well I was told by another teacher that I need to give each muscle group 3 days of rest? That seems like a lot of resting. I am not interested in bulk. I am interested in tone. I was going to do my shoulders, back, chest one day and my arms, legs and stomach the next, switching every other day.

Any advice?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: