Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

EXERCISE IN KOREA: Buying protein, gym stories, etc
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Pink

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tokki wrote:
Im gonna go to my father in law's farm and seriously look at the stuff I can use for working out. I may set one day out of the week for "strongman" kind of exercises and get out of the gym and into the sunlight. Also, Im thinking of swimming more.We have a swimming pool at my gym, and id like to go do that once or twice a week.

One thing I noticed is that sometimes gym strength doesn carry over to real life strength, because reallife objects are more awkward to get a grip on, unlike a barbell or a DB. Plus, walking around with something heavy is great cardio.

I wish I had access to a swimming pool. I would go swimming Tue/Thur/Sat.

It is great cardio and works your muscles pretty hard.

I went swimming last month. 15 laps in an olympic size pool just about finished me, but I wanted to get my money's worth.
Mr. Pink

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

25 grand for 1 day...sheesh.

How is that gym anyways?

I checked out the Bally's in Kangnam...that place is pretty sweet looking, but for the price, I'd never go there.
Juggertha

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not sure on the quality of the gym cuz as soon as they told me the price I let out a "gaffah!" and stormed out.

ah a funny thing happened to me in the gym today. Of late the Ajuma's have been getting a little friendlier and waving when me and my bud walk in. They've even tried to talk to us by my Koreans barely functional.

Anyways today the owner called me into the office (i was a few days late in paying so i was ... wondering) and he asked if he could take my picture (the guys a cool nuff' cat.. ex-powerlifter).

So I jokingly said "tan-gun ezee" (sure) and grabbed one of the cuter girls for a couple pic. They all broke out giggling and then went running around like school girls with the polaroid after.

Ok, they're not bad for 35+'s but I couldnt stop blushing for how big of a thing they made outta that pic.

Wonder what they're going to do with it...
tokki

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I checked out a new gtm that opened up here. It looks like something out of the 23rd century. Flat screen plasma screen TVs in front of the treadmills and bikes, brand new Hammerstrength machines and other futuristic looking equipment.. the thing is that places like that dont really appeal to me. Gyms should be gyms. Plain and simple iron,not some fancy yuppie health club thing. Gimme a bench with beat up plates any day over. I wonder how much that place costs though, must be expensive.

The arm workout isnt a bad idea, but I get to Seoul maybe twice a year so it would be hard to join you guys.
Mr. Pink

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tokki wrote:
I checked out a new gtm that opened up here. It looks like something out of the 23rd century. Flat screen plasma screen TVs in front of the treadmills and bikes, brand new Hammerstrength machines and other futuristic looking equipment.. the thing is that places like that dont really appeal to me. Gyms should be gyms. Plain and simple iron,not some fancy yuppie health club thing. Gimme a bench with beat up plates any day over. I wonder how much that place costs though, must be expensive.

The arm workout isnt a bad idea, but I get to Seoul maybe twice a year so it would be hard to join you guys.

I am the opposite:

I like "Yuppie health clubs". Unfortunately those cost too much cash, so I go with an inbetween.

Just "gyms" usually have old equipment. I like clean locker rooms, clean showers, and a clean space to work out. So clean usually means new in this country.

There is a gym about a 15min walk from my house that has all the new "space age" equipment, and the flatscreen tvs on the running machines, but 70k a month is a little steep.
chotaerang

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I roar sometimes in the gym -only on max efforts- and for that I'm loathed.
Juggertha

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hehe, I let out my share of grunts (and hisses) but for the most part no one seems to mind.
declan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 2:53 am    Post subject: Protein Reply with quote

Hi... im new in korea and found that i am not that keen on the food. I hope to do some fitness work over here but feel i need some protein to keep a good level of healthy caloric intake.

Does anybody have or know where i can get some protein..

Thank You..
Juggertha

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can find some "generic" suppliments in your local (large) grocery store (Emart).

But IMO the best place in Namdeamun (close to meyong dong) in Seoul. The directions are somewhere on this thread I believe.
paperbag princess

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 10:35 pm    Post subject: ... Reply with quote

i totally hear you. i miss my awesome 50$/month gym back in montreal. i'm paying 80,000 won, and there's nothing extra with that, not even classes.

i like to eat a banana after i work out, the potasium (sp?) helps process calcium, which helps your muscles strong.
prairieboy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy crap! 120,000 a month?? 80,000 a month??

I don't live in Seoul but just outside of Seoul. My gym fees are 60,000 a month for the gym. 100,000 if I want the gym and squash lessons. If I buy 3 months at a time, I only have to pay 150,000 for the gym and 240,000 for the gym and squash.

Be sure to check out many different gyms to get the best price and best environment for your workout.

Cheers
kidcharlemagne

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

does anyone know of a good gym in the mok-dong area of seoul? preferably one with a squash court or swimming pool.
by chance, has anyone been to the gym at hyperion towers in mok-dong? - how is it?
Alias

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to try going to the gym at least one morning a week for cardio. At night the cardio equipment is always full with adjumas.

On another note, anyone else notice how a lot of old adjumas exercise with their jackets on? Confused
wylde

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well.... it's done.

65,000 for 1 month at a shitty gym and a jjim jil bang..

lets see if i can keep my ass in gear
prairieboy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I try to go to the gym at times when it's nearly empty so I actually get a chance to use the equipment I want to use for my workout in the order I want to use each piece.

There's nothing worse than going to the gym and it's packed with mainly people who are looking at themselves in the mirror as they talk on their handphone and sit on the equipment you want to use. That kills my motivation.

I manage to keep my motivation by going during the off-peak times like Saturday and Sunday around noon and early afternoon. Also, I find that early mornings around 7 or 8 are good because the ajumas go home to start their chores for the day and the office workers go to work.

At any rate, I'm still at it. 3 to 4 times a week in the gym and 3 times a week for Kung-fu classes.

Dropping body-fat and weight has only dropped marginally. Leaner look but almost the same weight. Typical from my experience in the past, I should make my goal I set three months back and reach that 85kg mark or maybe better 80-85kg.

Cheers and keep at it boys.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: