Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Passport numbers and Korea Immigration

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lush72

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 4:16 pm    Post subject: Passport numbers and Korea Immigration Reply with quote

Hello all,

A few years ago I lost (and subsequently found) my passport here. When I went to the US Embassy they treated me like a criminal suspect- it seems that US passports are one of the few that do not reference your "old" passport numbers on the new passport- if you lose/destroy/or have your passport stolen a new passport, with a new number, is issued to you. It seems that a few unemployable Americans here in Korea conveniently "lose" their passports to acquire a new number, and thus circumvent Korean Immigration.

I am wondering what your home countries do in this regard. What does Australia, New Zealand, Great Britain, Ireland, Scotland, South Africa, and the rest of your home countries do regarding passport numbers? As I have previously stated it is fairly easy to get a new US passport number. Additionally, I know that Canadian passports reference the old number in most cases except in cases where a name has been legally changed. In that case a "new" passport number is given with no mention of any previous number, thus allowing the bearer to enter Korea and say (and attest on the Visa application this "fact") that this is the first time they have been in Korea. Obviously this is a big loophole for unemployable Canadians, but the bulk of the Canadians I know would never have to do such a thing.

So I ask- what are our countries regulations regarding this?

Last edited by lush72 on Sun Aug 01, 2004 7:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Gollum

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I can tell you this...

I had to get a new passport last year, because my original was delayed for over a month in the mail.

When I came in on my new passport, I was stopped at customs, and they were able to cross-reference my name and see that I had come in under another passport before. I got asked several questions, but got through after 10 or 15 minutes of them fumbling around on computer and talking to each other.

So even if you change your passport number, they will know it at immigrations.
OiGirl

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting...I just entered Korea with a new passport for the first time with no porblems. Could they NOT see the link to my old passport number? Or could they tell that my old passport had been issued ten years ago?
jazblanc77

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To avoid having problems when you get a new passport, you should ask to keep your old one (there is an area on the passport application for this purpose), and inform immigration of the change (you are required to do this anyways for your visa file).
Tiberious aka Sparkles

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Passport numbers and Korea Immigration Reply with quote

lush72 wrote:
Additionally, I know that Canadian passports reference the old number in most cases except in cases where a name has been legally changed. In that case a "new" passport number is given with no mention of any previous number, thus allowing the bearer to enter Korea and say (and attest on the Visa application this "fact") that this is the first time they have been in Korea. Obviously this is a big loophole for unemployable Canadians, but the bulk of the Canadians I know would never have to do such a thing.

This appears to be a thinly-veiled jab at someone.

Sparkles*_*
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: