Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Want to be paid? Stay away from Andong Wonderland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
No L

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 2:18 am    Post subject: Want to be paid? Stay away from Andong Wonderland Reply with quote

Don't need to get into all the details on how I've been screwed over. Who needs to listen to the bitter ex-employee, right?

So just look at the math, it's reason enough to stay away.

Income
32 students x 140 000 = 4 480 000

Expenses

Foreign teacher 2 000 000
FT's house 200 000 (little, dirty hole without a window)
Korean teacher 1 400 000
Secrectary 800 000
2 drivers 2x 1 000 000 = 2 000 000
Utilities (?) 500 000?

Total expenses 6 900 000 won (or more)

income-expenses= 4 480 000 - 6 900 000 = - 2 420 000

Think you're going to get paid? Last month, I didn't. The Korean staff didn't either.
OiGirl

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not getting paid is a good reason to stay away. I'm not so sure what your math is supposed to prove. Working for someone who is trying to turn a profit is not necessarily a good reason to stay away. If it bothers you, I guess it's time to start looking for a nice non-profit organization to work for.
FUBAR

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

32 students in the whole Hagwon? Are you teachers driving them away?
Michelle

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 3:56 am    Post subject: A question about this... Reply with quote

OiGirl wrote:
Not getting paid is a good reason to stay away. I'm not so sure what your math is supposed to prove. Working for someone who is trying to turn a profit is not necessarily a good reason to stay away. If it bothers you, I guess it's time to start looking for a nice non-profit organization to work for.

A slight question about this, sure they may be trying, the business may be failing (running at a loss, ok) but do Korean hagwons ever know when to finally call it quits, or do they say 'if I can just get another teacher (korean or foriegn) I don't have to pay, I can keep it going.

I would maybe be worried if I saw the books for my school.

Also how many of these schools who don't pay do it because they really can't afford it? There seem to be a lot. Are some just cutting a corner hoping to cover their backs?

(ie. I heard a story of a hagwon owner who loaned 4,000,000W to her jobless loser husband)

Not surprisingly she also did stupid things like making the foriegn teacher (my friend) live with her for the first three months. DOcking her pay for the apartment she wasn't supposed to pay for at all. Welcome to Korea.
No L

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OiGirl, the math was just supposed to show it's difficult to get paid when there isn't any money to be paid with. I think it would be great if the place was making money.

FUBAR, almost looks that way, eh? Management is incompetent and doesn't do anything to recruit students or keep the current ones. Parents were unhappy with the last owner and were more unhappy when we went from 2 foreign teachers to 1.

Michelle, yeah owners do a lot of stupid things they can't afford! Owner #1 lent 6 million won to friend earlier in the year which resulting in not paying any of the staff for 3 months. ("He was supposed to pay me back last week!") Thought things might improve with owner #2. I was wrong and I don't think it's becasue owner #1 is constantly in her ear either.
OiGirl

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No L wrote:
OiGirl, the math was just supposed to show it's difficult to get paid when there isn't any money to be paid with. I think it would be great if the place was making money.

Good. That makes much more sense! Smile
No L

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump.

I'm still owed money. The current teacher who is subbing has only been partially paid. Enrollment has gone down.

I heard that they hired a newbie from Canada. Maybe he'll take a look at Daves' and run the other way. Probably not. It's funny how many people come to Korea without doing any research on the job, culture, food, customs, etc. Call me cautious, but I'd never dive off a cliff until I've checked how deep the water is below.
chronicpride

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No L wrote:
It's funny how many people come to Korea without doing any research on the job, culture, food, customs, etc. Call me cautious, but I'd never dive off a cliff until I've checked how deep the water is below.

Exactly. And those people can look to you for an example of when simple research isn't done.

The crookedness of Andong Wonderland is old news.

A quick check on Google, gets you:

http://66.102.9.104/search?q=cache:_W-gXaO8WkkJ:www.prisonerofwonderland.com/others1.html+andong+wonderland&hl=en

http://66.102.9.104/search?q=cache:mN45ehUV12MJ:members.tripod.com/~taegu/blacklist.html+andong+wonderland&hl=en

There's also been some griping about them in some threads here, as I remember.

Just a tip, but when it comes to researching a school, no news is good news.

Last edited by chronicpride on Mon Sep 13, 2004 8:30 pm; edited 2 times in total
FUBAR

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No L wrote:
I heard that they hired a newbie from Canada. Maybe he'll take a look at Daves' and run the other way. Probably not. It's funny how many people come to Korea without doing any research on the job, culture, food, customs, etc. Call me cautious, but I'd never dive off a cliff until I've checked how deep the water is below.

I don't want to flame ya, but.... how did you end up taking this job then? Wonderland has a notorious reputation.
kprrok

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two comments on this whole thread...

1.) Your Wonderland is only charging 140.000 per month per kid? that's got to be the cheapest Wonderland in the country. Mine is charging (for 25 hours/week Kindy) more than double that and we're in the cheapest 5 in the country. Our 40-odd Kindy students pay almost all of the bills (salary, etc.) and our 40-odd afternoon primary students are almost all profit at over 200.000 per month for 10 hours/week per student.

2.) Not all Wonderlands are bad and I'm really tired of reading that. it's the same with any and every franchise school/store/anything. Some are good, some are crap. It depends on the individual school/store/whatever. No franchise is inherently evil or bad (Wal-Mart being the possible exception).

Sounds like your boss is an idiot and should pull the plug, and if I were you, I'd find a new job.

KPRROK
chronicpride

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kprrok wrote:

2.) Not all Wonderlands are bad and I'm really tired of reading that. it's the same with any and every franchise school/store/anything. Some are good, some are crap. It depends on the individual school/store/whatever. No franchise is inherently evil or bad (Wal-Mart being the possible exception).

Totally agreed. Blanket type-casting of a franchise of over 100 schools is lazy. Hundreds of people are working there now and hundreds have worked there in the past. If they all sucked, or even the majority of them sucked, you would see a tremendous amount of credible bad press about them. Instead we've got the PoW site about some bad experiences with them, some blacklists about some, and then a huge mass of people who have never worked there, coming online and trying to look industry-savvy, and fanning the small flame of heat, and making it look much worse.

If you separate the speculative, band-wagon testimony about Wonderland, you are left with a much small collection of 1st hand reports.
Son Deureo!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where's "Kiss It" from the old board when you need him? He had a collection of personal complaints that was so large, he had to post it in 4 separate posts in order to make it fit. It definitely wasn't a small list, and while "Kiss It" definitely had a negative slant in all of his posts, for some reason, he was able to collect a lot more dirt against Wonderland than anyone else.

While perhaps it doesn't prove that ALL Wonderlands are bad (the chains of franchises tend to be run fairly loosely, after all), I'd at the very least, definitely look at all of them with a bit more skepticism.
No L

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KPRROK, Not "my" Wonderland anymore. I DID leave the job. Got given 30 days notice in my 10th month for a variety of made-up/stupid reasons that all resulted in the owner saving a lot of cash. I had already told her I wouldn't re-sign, hence why she had no desire to keep me around and pay me. She thought that I would be easy to replace. Not so. They couldn't recruit anyone for a long time and then that guy didn't show. Lately (about 5 weeks) it's been a temp teacher to cover until a new one arrives.

As to tution, 140 000 is the standard in Andong. Students get 1 hour five days a week. English hagwons are being killed by super cheap ip-si hagwons in Andong. Kindergarten was more, but it went by the wayside in March when there weren't enough students.

Chronicpride, I agree with not bashing an entire franchise name. Surely there's at least one Wonderland with a decent owner. I wouldn't say don't work at any Wonderland. With all schools, check with the current teachers. I did.

FUBAR, Why did I take the job? Well, I must not have been thinkly too clearly since I did know about the past reputation. However, all those matters had been settled. I took over the job from a friend who went home. I also was joining another friend working there. There hadn't been any pay problems for almost 2 years. Also, everyone said that the owner wasn't trying to screw people, he was just disorganized and stupid. I wanted to stay in Andong and this was the only job opening at the right time. I was stupid. I can only guess that I wasn't thinking it wouldn't happen to me. I learned my lesson.

The current pay dispute and problems are with a different owner than I originally signed. The place was sold. Things didn't go bad until the end when the owner saw me as not being useful to her anymore when I refused to re-sign.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: