Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Would anyone agree to this....
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hellofaniceguy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 11:53 pm    Post subject: Would anyone agree to this.... Reply with quote

2.2, 6 classes a day, no splits, no weekends, you're the ONLY FT, airfare, housing sucks, housing sucks, did I say housing sucks, severance and the best part of all
VACATION! 6 days!
The owner told my buddy...take it or leave. That's our offer. "We have many teachers wanting to work here."
lush72

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha.... yet someone is reading this post right now thinking "I wish he posted the name of the school! I WANT that job!!!!"
Saxiif

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

depends on location and how sucky is sucks.
calypso

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schools are required to provide 10 days of vacation by Korean law.
Gord

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

calypso wrote:

No.

They are required to give a minimum of 24 days off, which they are doing by the simple act of having a 5 day work week.

Any additional time off, such as the six days offered here, is above the government mandated minimum.
lush72

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gord wrote:
calypso wrote:

No.

They are required to give a minimum of 24 days off, which they are doing by the simple act of having a 5 day work week.

Any additional time off, such as the six days offered here, is above the government mandated minimum.

Thanks Gord- I hate saying the same thing over and over!
Grotto

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 7:35 am    Post subject: ummm NO Reply with quote

Sorry guys but you are wrong. The vacation time.....and that is the key word is VACATION is a minimum of 10 days a year above and beyond weekends and statutory holidays!

Employers must also give a minimum of 1 day out of 7 off. So the employed would get a minimum 52 days off a year. Where you come up with this 24 days I dont know.

The latest recommendation from the Labour laws is that it will soon be a mandatory 15 days vacation, in addition to the statutory holildays and weekends.
Gord

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: ummm NO Reply with quote

Grotto wrote:
Sorry guys but you are wrong. The vacation time.....and that is the key word is VACATION is a minimum of 10 days a year above and beyond weekends and statutory holidays!

No. Prior threads on this very subject have linked directly to the law that very clearly explains that I have already cited, and will now explain again. Your statement is nothing more than a urban myth that you read on the forum here.

Quote:
Employers must also give a minimum of 1 day out of 7 off. So the employed would get a minimum 52 days off a year. Where you come up with this 24 days I dont know.

We are talking about vacation days, not mandated rest days. Please do not confuse the two.

If you had read the labour laws, you would know that Korea runs under a 5.5 day workweek. Korean law dictates that employees are to be given 24 days of vacation a year above their rest days if they are full time. These 24 days are then divided in 1/2, so you have 48 half days off. Then these half days off are applied to the half-day people are expected to work if they are full time. 5.5 day workweek then becomes a 5 day work week. There are 52 weeks in a year, but a number of holidays will randomly fall on Saturdays to make up the difference.

As well, Korea does not have a bankable holiday system per government law. They have minimums and nothing more. If an employer runs with a four day work weeks, an employee has no right to any vacation time at all under the law. This varies from western countries which generally do vacation time as a percentage of time worked.

Quote:
The latest recommendation from the Labour laws is that it will soon be a mandatory 15 days vacation, in addition to the statutory holildays and weekends.

This possibility being discussed is only of relevance if the company has more than 1000 employees.
hellofaniceguy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK....
now, who can provide a link to what labor law states.
My buddy is new to the ESL scene in korea and if he can provide proof on the vacation time to the school owner as required by the labor department...he would seriously entertain the offer. Why, I asked him!
I always thought it was two weeks as well. The KT teachers only get 3 DAYS vacation a year!! Plus of course the holidays. But 3 days!! How cheap can the owner be?!?!? Talk about a slave driver!
Any links??
beast

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

some clown will take that job.
Grotto

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 6:34 am    Post subject: sigh Reply with quote

Gord! Most contracts state that the term of work is Monday to Friday!

Sat and Sun are rest days, by your own admission rest days do not count towards vacation time Exclamation

And just because Koreans bend thier laws does not make it right or legal. Look it up in the dictionary

VACATION
1 : a respite or a time of respite from something : INTERMISSION
2 a : a scheduled period during which activity (as of a court or school) is suspended b : a period of exemption from work granted to an employee for rest and relaxation
3 : a period spent away from home or business in travel or recreation <had a restful vacation at the beach>
4 : an act or an instance of vacating

2b is the applicible one.

A halfday off is not a vacation!
Gord

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: sigh Reply with quote

Grotto wrote:
Gord! Most contracts state that the term of work is Monday to Friday!

That's lovely.

Quote:
Sat and Sun are rest days, by your own admission rest days do not count towards vacation time Exclamation

That's lovely too.

Korean law is pretty simple. Employees must get one entire day off per week, and are entitled up to 24 further days off per year. Further still, a work week may legally extend up to 5.5 days on average before overtime is required.

The system is different here than back west. In Canada, for example, a person gets time off as a percentage. Where I am from, if I worked for a company less than 3 years, I would get a bankable 4% time off. So even if I worked just one day a week, at the end of 50 weeks I would have earned two paid days off. In short, two weeks of holidays at the rate of working one day a week. In Korea, there is no bankable system, it's strictly minimal time off. So if one works one day a week, the employer is not legally required to give any paid holiday time off. By working "only 5 days a week", an employee is above the government mandated minimal time off and thus the employer is not legally required to offer additional time off.

Quote:
A halfday off is not a vacation!

That too is also lovely.

I trust that you now understand how the laws work now and that you will no longer suggest that employers running on a 5-day work week are required by law to offer additional time off?
Wangja

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brilliant, bluddee brilliant ...
peppermint

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

y'know what, if Iwas looking for a job, and the pay was reliably on time, the management seemed reasonable and the curriculum was okay I probably would take that job.

That job reallly doesn't sound that ungodly bad for a newbie compared to lots of stories I've heard. My first time out I had a great recruiter who negotiated an awesome contract with my school, and I was really pleased. The thing is, once I got there the school totally ignored every single clause in my contract that made it great as opposed to okay. It was a rough disillusionment for me and made the school seem far worse than it really was.

People need to realize that not everybody gets these great jobs straight out of the gate and this one really doesn't sound that bad. I've had friends get paid in tomatoes, been put in housing a half hour away from the school and in an area without public transit, been told personally that "foreigners can't get Korean medical insurance" .

Live in the land of reality here folks
Grotto

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: sigh Reply with quote

Gord wrote:
[
Korean law is pretty simple. Employees must get one entire day off per week, and are entitled up to 24 further days off per year. Further still, a work week may legally extend up to 5.5 days on average before overtime is required.

The system is different here than back west. In Canada, for example, a person gets time off as a percentage. Where I am from, if I worked for a company less than 3 years, I would get a bankable 4% time off. So even if I worked just one day a week, at the end of 50 weeks I would have earned two paid days off. In short, two weeks of holidays at the rate of working one day a week. In Korea, there is no bankable system, it's strictly minimal time off. So if one works one day a week, the employer is not legally required to give any paid holiday time off. By working "only 5 days a week", an employee is above the government mandated minimal time off and thus the employer is not legally required to offer additional time off.

I trust that you now understand how the laws work now and that you will no longer suggest that employers running on a 5-day work week are required by law to offer additional time off?

Actually you sanctimonious ass Exclamation The Korean labor laws refer to 44 hours a week Exclamation No where does it state 5.5 days a week.

It also mentions that they are required to give 1 day of holidays off per week. HOLIDAYS NOT VACATION DIPSHxt. Vacation is paid! Do people get paid for the other 1/2 day they work? NO Exclamation

Annual paid leave is now at 15 days per year to anyone who works 80% or more of their shifts. Look at article 59 of the labor standards act and stop talking out of your pathetic game store clerk butt Exclamation

I hope that this will allow you to understand that you are not nearly as well informed as you pretend to be. Laws change you should too Exclamation As I have noticed on many occasions you take peices of Korean law and put your own twist on them making them assinine and generally inflamatory.

Your pathetic reference to 24 days a year is the maximum amount of vacation days off that the company MUST give an employee with 24 years of service put it.

Stop twisting the meanings of the labour laws Exclamation
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: