Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching in public schools

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
girl25

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2003 1:51 am    Post subject: Teaching in public schools Reply with quote

im starting in a public highschool next week and need to have a "curriculum" put together to show the principal... i will be teaching four classes a day, the classes are mixed levels (30-40 kids) and we don't have a book. anyway, if anyone has any suggestions on what the best way to go about teaching this type of class that would be great. also, if anyone has any suggestions for any internet resources for my "curriculum development" that would be great too!!!!! naturally i was not give alot of time to put this stuff together.... thanks in advance Very Happy
OiGirl

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2003 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest you take the scope and sequence from any textbook you like (browse the shelves at your local EFL bookstore,) polish it up, and use it as your syllabus. Of course, I would use a western-produced book, not one of the lovely educational volumes produced by Pagoda. And then teach the language and grammar points however you want.

There are, of course, the International TESOL standards for PreK-12 education:
http://www.tesol.org/assoc/k12standards/it/09.html

Which are interesting, but not very "teachable". But the US Department of Defense Education Activity has correlated these standards with the Making Connections textbook series:
http://www.odedodea.edu/instruction/curriculum/esl/pdf/MC1.PDF
http://www.odedodea.edu/instruction/curriculum/esl/pdf/MC2.PDF
http://www.odedodea.edu/instruction/curriculum/esl/pdf/MC3.PDF

Hope this helps!
Oi!
schwa

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2003 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would guess a general weekly 'theme' would satisfy your principal. Shopping, health, hobbies & sports, occupations, etc. Leave yourself as much leeway as possible to do necessary remedial work (basic grammar, verb tenses, speaking & listening). Think games when actually putting together lesson plans. Keep it simple. Your kids will already know a lot of stuff, but theyre not accustomed to using it.
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2003 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No book to use as a base?

Well, try to flip through an English language book or two and get an idea of the progressive order of topics. Cut out the simplest stuff, because these highschoolers definitely know how to say "Hi, my name is _____" by now. What they're not so hot on is finding English interesting, and speaking. Those should be the highlights of your extra effort.

I wish I could offer more advice but I'm trying to answer this question myself at the moment, and I've even got a book. I managed to come up with bringing in my photo album(family discussion chapter) and getting students to start writing a weekend journal(weekend activities chapter), which I can expand to cover the full 3 weeks that the chapters take, but uhhhh...a full curriculum? Whew, tall task.
MrTESL

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2003 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been my experience that your principal isn't expecting something set in stone that he's going to hold you to for the rest of the year. He just wants to see something - anything - on paper, that shows you have a plan. This goes for K teachers as well.

If you're pressed for time I suggest you bang out something that looks reasonable, give it to him, and then promptly discard it.

Then you can take the time and effort to make something a little more thought-out and reasonable.

If this is your first time teaching in a Korean public school and you have little teaching experience, I can assure you that your curriculum will be changed many times before the semester is finished.

Don't despair. Learn from your mistakes and take close note of what works and what doesn't. The next time will be better.

wildBillLee

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2003 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need information to manage the situation or all hell will break loose. Books, yes. But lesson plan. Get on the internet and start checking out lessons and lesson plans for TESL.

I don't envy your position.
Thomas

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2003 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was in EPIK, I had to give a 'curriculum' to the head teacher at the beginning of every school year, usually on very short notice. What I did was to set up a very general chart by week of what I planned to do. For example, I began each term with introductions, moved into families, hometowns, hobbies, sports, and so. I usually had about 26 general topics. From there, each week I would se up some lessons following these plans. What made life even easier was when I borrowed their textbook and listed the topics they would be studying so that I could make my year plan run along side the textbooks, even though all of my material was original and differed from the text's... it provided nice reinforcement.
The head teacher always accepted whatever I turned in quite gleefully. Don't worry too much about, but you have a good opportunity to get your own plans set up.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: