Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Working at Hyundai, Academic Journals, Interlibrary Loan

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dakdungchim

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2003 11:15 am    Post subject: Working at Hyundai, Academic Journals, Interlibrary Loan Reply with quote

I spent some time in Korea before, and plan on seeking employment there in 2004. I want to do it right this time, so I'm working on a Ph.D focusing on 2nd Language Writing and TESOL Business and Technical Communication.

I have 2 questions:

1. How does someone get a job teaching at Hyundai corporation (or any other chaebol for that matter), and what are the working conditions like?

2. I want to pursue some research/study this time. Does Seoul National's or any other university's library carry a lot of Western academic journals, more specifically journals such as Technical Communication, Technical Communication Quarterly, or Journal of Business and Technical Communication? What about TESOL, English Composition, or Western Communication or Social Science journals?

If so, are these available through interlibrary loan at all of the other international or private universities? Or, are teachers at all of the other intenational universities permitted entrance to Seoul National's Library for viewing/copying.

In spite of every staff member, including the administrator, swearing up and down to me that interlibrary loan didn't exist, some of my students, months later, right before I left, assured me it did, and I could easily have had the books I requested. Too bad Korean superiors are never wrong. . . . Could someone please assure me interlibrary loan does exist in the ROK National University system?

Thank You Very Much,

Dak Dung Chim
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2003 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I can't be of more help, but the chance I had to get a chaebol job(with Samsung) came through contacts. Either knowing a Korean employee who can put in a good word, or knowing someone who has connections through university or current ties with the company.

My situation was potential part-time work, however, and full-time might be an entirely different bag of goodies.
kimcheeking

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2003 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it is not possible to get into any universities library without a job or being a student. It really sucks... I am doing my M.A. in TESOL and would love to use Ewha library -it rocks- but can't get in.
dakdungchim

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2003 6:19 am    Post subject: try a language institute korean class Reply with quote

kimchi king,

you might wanna try a language institute Korean-language class for library access. i worked at kyungte, and library access made all the difference. i'm counting on it when i come back. if i can work out interlibrary loan, it'll really be something.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: