Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sending and Buying Currency
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dulouz

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, I'm asking for help. My CHB branch in Wonju is unhelpful.

I can be in Seoul Saturday morning. If you take me to the bank that charges 10 K won ill give you the 40k won difference.

What info do you need for the wire?
adventureman

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anybody who has tried the international ATM card route know how much one can withdrawl from your your Korean bank account at the ATM back home at any one time (I live in U.S.)? I heard $200USD every three days is the limit? If whoever is holding the card for you keeps making large withdrawls thousands of miles away doesn't the Korean bank or anyone back home look upon this suspicously? Also what is the exchange rate like using this method

Also, if this method does not work, does anyone know the going rate in the major Korean banks for cashiers checks if you first convert the money to USD and then have the check sent home?

Just want to see how the alternatives to expensive wirings hold up
Thanks
Very Happy
canukteacher

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This isn't a advert for CityBank.......because frankly I think they are incompetent.......but you know when you are in Korea..........

Travelers Cheques..........i've bought them 3 times here. Everytime they have made a mistake, of course in their favour. TC's from these guys......be careful. At the end of it all the guy asked me for my Pastport...........i just looked at him like he was crazy......and said what for?....not required..........end of conversation. THEY DO NOT NEED YOU PP FOR TC'S/////////THAT IS CRAP!

Bank Draft............apparently you can buy a bankdraft at CityBank. If you are a customer it should cost you 5000W. I'll let you know next month after I try.

International ATM..........their website clearly states that a resident (not a citizen) can have an international ATM card. Welllllllllllll.............I thougtht I had one. After trying the 50th (or there about) ATM in Bangkok in January I decided we had a problem. I've gone back to the branch (btw ..Banpo), supposedly the problem has been fixed. I leave for Bangkok this Sunday.....i'll let you know. Let's say I AM NOT OPTIMISTIC!

Also, you can buy a bank draft at Woori Bank

Hope this helps!

PS.

Unfortunately, banks are no longer opened here on Saturday Sad

Good luck

CT
mrroboto

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like I'm bailing out on Korea to go to film school. How can I escape Korea with the paltry 10mill or so I've managed to save this year?

Did anyone figure out the wire business? What about using paypal to funnel the money? It's all pretty confusing, and I've just kept all this money in my freezer for the past 10 months.

Thanks for any help on this one
mrroboto

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2003 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone used the conversion service at xe.net? :

https://www.xe.com/fx/
dulouz

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 6:49 pm    Post subject: yes, ive used it Reply with quote

my image comes from there. xe is good but it differs from what I really get here. you really need to check locally where you will be doing your exchangeing.
itaewonguy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrroboto wrote:
I've just kept all this money in my freezer for the past 10 months.

thats a nice cold stash Laughing
mrroboto

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 9:02 pm    Post subject: Cold stash indeed Reply with quote

hah, yes, except when my fridge stopped working, and 2 mill got all wet.

I had to dry it out in the toaster oven, 2 bills at a time. Not joking Smile
iguanab

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 8:16 pm    Post subject: Stamps in Passports STILL happening! Reply with quote

I am posting this a l-o-n-g time since this strand began in '03...I simply wanted to update the issue regarding having passports stamped when money is converted from won to Travelers' Checks. I have had won converted into US dollars TCs twice in the last 2 months and I now have 2 stamps stating that I have converted over $10,000 US, to date. My new idea is that I will have a Korean friend simply take my won and buy the TCs...and then sign them over to me. I will then send them, via registered mail, to my account in the States - or I figure I can simply carry them with me the next time I am traveling home for a vacation. Can anyone think of a catch with this idea? Any better ideas about how to deal with the conversion issue once the stamps in a person's passport add up to over $10,000???? All advice will be gratefully appreciated!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: