Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to Get an F-4 Visa
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jasontim

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:07 pm    Post subject: Question Reply with quote

I'm a Korea-American and my mother is still a Korean Citizen. Am I eligible for the F4 visa Question

Any help is appreciated, Thanks
OCOKA Dude

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Question Reply with quote

jasontim wrote:
I'm a Korea-American and my mother is still a Korean Citizen. Am I eligible for the F4 visa Question

Any help is appreciated, Thanks

Why would you want an F-4? If your parents are Korean citizens, you should also be eligible to become a Korean citizen. Remember, F-4 is only a permanent residency visa. Also, if your parents are still Korean citizens, you are ineligible for an F-4. F-4 is only elgible to those Korean foreigners who can prove that their parents gave up their Korean citizenship after the formation of the Korean government (1948). When I got my F-4, I had to produce my parents U.S. immigration and naturilazation certificate, U.S. Passport numbers, Hojok, and expired Korean passport or I.D. card.
Without those authorizing documents, I could not have received my F-4.
Yaya

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess they greatly tightened the requirements, because I was never asked to submit proof that my parents had given their Korean citizenship. Anyway, if you're a Korean-American male who recently got a US passport, be prepared to get closely scrutinized.
OCOKA Dude

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yaya wrote:
Guess they greatly tightened the requirements, because I was never asked to submit proof that my parents had given their Korean citizenship. Anyway, if you're a Korean-American male who recently got a US passport, be prepared to get closely scrutinized.

If your parents already have an F-4, then you are automatically eligible for an F-4 as well as a son or daughter.
Yaya

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My parents do not have an F-4. They hadn't visited Korea since leaving in 1976 until after I did. So perhaps it has changed recently but I never had to bring documented proof that my parents renounced their US citizenship.
williamcho

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 6:12 pm    Post subject: f4 and medical insurance Reply with quote

Does anyone know how I can get into the korean medical insurance system? I am not working so no company paid insurance. I heard f4 holders can get this. Thanks.
Yaya

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: f4 and medical insurance Reply with quote

williamcho wrote:
Does anyone know how I can get into the korean medical insurance system? I am not working so no company paid insurance. I heard f4 holders can get this. Thanks.

Well, I had to get insurance from my employers even after getting the F-4. The visa does NOT confer the status of citizen, it's more like a green card.
prosodic

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 3:40 am    Post subject: Re: f4 and medical insurance Reply with quote

Yaya wrote:
williamcho wrote:

Well, I had to get insurance from my employers even after getting the F-4. The visa does NOT confer the status of citizen, it's more like a green card.

National Health Insurance Corporation website wrote:
A foreigner, having the following Status of Sojourn, can be a self-employed insured: D1 ~ D9, E1 ~ E5, -7 ~ E9, F1 ~ F5

http://www.nhic.or.kr/wbe/faq/faq.html
Alpha

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wanted to post an update regarding Renewal of F-4 visa. I recently had to renew my visa since my old passport and visa expired. So, I went to the immigration office, and all I had to provide was the new passport, revenue stamps, and a family registry. Also, they gave me the new visa the same day, although I am not sure if they did that because my visa was already expired.

On a different note, DO NOT wait until your visa expires to renew it like I did. I had to pay penalty of 10 mon won, or approximately 100 bucks for over staying my visa. I was told that 10 mon won is the penalty fee for overstaying your visa for up to a month, and the penalty fee for the second month is 20 mon won. I didn't ask for any further details regarding penalty fees, but I think it gets progressively more expensive over time.
just604

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 1:02 am    Post subject: My Question about F4 Reply with quote

Hello,

My mother is Korean, and my father is Chinese. Though I have documents to prove my Korean background am I eligible to apply for an F4 Visa?

ie. do I have to be a full Korean in order to qualify?

Also on a side note, am I considered a Gyopo?

thanks to all in advance,

J
zealotnyc

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: Question Reply with quote

OCOKA Dude wrote:

Why would you want an F-4? If your parents are Korean citizens, you should also be eligible to become a Korean citizen. Remember, F-4 is only a permanent residency visa. Also, if your parents are still Korean citizens, you are ineligible for an F-4. F-4 is only elgible to those Korean foreigners who can prove that their parents gave up their Korean citizenship after the formation of the Korean government (1948). When I got my F-4, I had to produce my parents U.S. immigration and naturilazation certificate, U.S. Passport numbers, Hojok, and expired Korean passport or I.D. card.
Without those authorizing documents, I could not have received my F-4.

I have previously attempted to get an F-4 visa since I was born here and my parents are from Korea, but apparently my father never cancelled his Korean citizenship so I was denied. Is there a way he can do this online or at a consulate from here(the U.S.)? Or does he have to go to Korea and do this?
torronto

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can any1 please explain how to get a " family registry or "Hojok" " or give me a contact number explaining how to get this doc? Thank you in advance.
ohfamous

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) NOTICE: Gwanghwamun Immigration branch has moved!
The immigration website is outdated. The office is now located near Anguk subway station. If you go out of Exit 6, turn around, and walk straight, you'll see the SK Hub Officetel on your right. It's on the 2nd floor.

2) My recent experience renewing my F-4.
I thought I could just go there and get it stamped. It turned out I needed my UPDATED hojok, both parents' passports, both parents' citizenship certificates, my birth certificate, and 30,000 won. But I only had my two-year-old hojok, my dad's citizenship certificate, my birth certificate, and 30,000 won. It was the last day of my visa, so I had to get it done or else face a fine. So I calmly talked to the immigration lady and eventually persuaded her that what I had was enough. =) As always, policies change from branch to branch and person to person, and are never written in stone.

I got my ARC stamped in 5 min. and left. Altogether, it only took about 30 min., not including travel time for 2 trips. Not too bad, but not as easy as other people have posted.
jaiho

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As someone mentioned above, they now ask for the "Hojok" or family registry when renewing your F4 Visa. I asked where I can optain my "Hojok" since the one I currently used was provided from my aunt (and i didn't want to bother her again) and they said it can be provided from the Seoul Immigration Office, the same place where I applied for my F4 Visa!

On another note, someone asked about parents renouncing their citizenship... when i applied for my F4 visa they told me my mother had not done so (they were pointing to the Hojok and showing my father had but my mother didn't) and that both mother and father were required to renounce their citizenship. Apparently, although my parents were given Canadian Citizenship in the 1970's they are required to renounce their Korean citizenship. My dad did it in 2000 but my mom failed to do so.

The following instructions were given to us by the immigration officer:

- my mother was to go to the Korean Consulte General Office in Toronto (where my parents live) and indicate that she no longer would like to hold Korean citizenship.

- Their immigration system would be updated accordingly but might take some time. In the mean time, the Toronto Korean Consulate General Office would provide my mother with a paper (1 page) that indicated that she had renounced her Korean citizenship and she should fax it to me.

- I would then come back with this faxed 1 page paper and everything would be OK.

This is what happened.

shout out thx to the fella who mentioned about not overstaying F4 visa expiry. never woulda thought there would be a penalty and it would be so expensive
pkjean

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 6:34 pm    Post subject: Suwon Immigration Office Reply with quote

Thought I'd put up a post for those whom it'd be more convenient to go to the Suwon Immigration Office rather than the ones in Seoul.
First, you need to get to the Suwon station somehow.
From there, get to the bus stop across the street from the shopping mall.
You can take buses 92, 92-1, 36, 11, or 37.
The bus ride is about 5-10 minutes. If you'd like to follow the route, it takes a left at the first stoplight. It takes a right at an elementary school and also passes I think a middle school. It then takes a left at an intersection where you can only go left or right or straight into a national building's parking lot.
The stop to listen for is 'Gu-un dong Sa-Go-Ri'
Once you get off the bus, if you head towards the intersection, you should be able to see 'Suwon Immigration Office' up on one of the buildings on your right hand side across the street. And the place to get your F4 visa is on the first floor.
To get a 'Hojok' you have to walk about ten minutes to another building and if anyone needs directions, feel free to ask. Hope this helps.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10

Jump to: