Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to Get an F-4 Visa
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
syi012

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks everyone for the information
yoonism

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i did it in nyc at the korean consulate.
it takes 1 day. you go in with paperwork and you pick it up the next day.
FuriousRoseX8

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
i did it in nyc at the korean consulate.
it takes 1 day. you go in with paperwork and you pick it up the next day.

yoonism, did you have any trouble with the new family register system? i was told that the required documents have changed since the beginning of this year. i'm also planning on going to the NY office.
Toon Army

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone know if you can enter Korea on a 1 way ticket without any problems? Not sure if the same rules apply
jaiho

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Question re: my parents renouncing their Korean citizens Reply with quote

davidcool wrote:
Can anyone provide an answer to arpeggi's question?
My girlfriend's parents don't want her to get an F-4 visa if renouncing their Korean citizenship will affect them in any negative way. Everyone else is telling her to get the F-4 visa now while we're still in the U.S. We don't have jobs lined up yet in Korea.

Both my parents renounced their Korean citizenship. They are pretty firm about this. As far as negative effects, i really don't think so. My dad visits korea every so often. I guess if your GF parent's wanted to vote or own property in Korea then they would no longer be able to do that. I would say F4 visa is a great visa to have and your GF should get it.

davidcool wrote:

Does it matter which Korean Consulate she goes to for the F-4 visa?
We're currently staying with her parents in Pennsylvania, so the closest one would be in New York. However, our mailing address is in Georgia and we're not sure when we're going back.

Any relevant information would greatly be appreciated! Very Happy

I believe you can only get the F4 visa in Korea. They stopped issuing them overseas quite some time ago. I got mine from the seoul immigration office. It's fairly easy to get if you have prepared all the documents.

Last edited by jaiho on Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
jaiho

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toon Army wrote:
anyone know if you can enter Korea on a 1 way ticket without any problems? Not sure if the same rules apply

depending on your citizenship of course. If you are Canadian or American I would say it should be no problem. Just dont tell them you are working, just visiting. Hence entering the country with a visitor visa. then go get your F4 visa once your in~
Toon Army

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaiho wrote:
Toon Army wrote:

depending on your citizenship of course. If you are Canadian or American I would say it should be no problem. Just dont tell them you are working, just visiting. Hence entering the country with a visitor visa. then go get your F4 visa once your in~

I`ve already got the F-4 visa Wink .....just need to know if i can enter ok with a 1 way ticket

jaiho wrote:
davidcool wrote:
Can anyone provide an answer to arpeggi's question?
My girlfriend's parents don't want her to get an F-4 visa if renouncing their Korean citizenship will affect them in any negative way. Everyone else is telling her to get the F-4 visa now while we're still in the U.S. We don't have jobs lined up yet in Korea.

Both my parents renounced their Korean citizenship. They are pretty firm about this. As far as negative effects, i really don't think so. My dad visits korea every so often. I guess if your GF parent's wanted to vote or own property in Korea then they would no longer be able to do that. I would say F4 visa is a great visa to have and your GF should get it.

davidcool wrote:

Does it matter which Korean Consulate she goes to for the F-4 visa?
We're currently staying with her parents in Pennsylvania, so the closest one would be in New York. However, our mailing address is in Georgia and we're not sure when we're going back.

Any relevant information would greatly be appreciated! Very Happy

I believe you can only get the F4 visa in Korea. They stopped issuing them overseas quite some time ago. I got mine from the seoul immigration office. It's fairly easy to get if you have prepared all the documents.

unless things have changed since late 2007 you can still get your F-4 in your home country. I did....and just recently enquired for my sister last month. No problems for her getting he F-4 in the UK at least
howyoodoinn

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

back in 2006 I got my F-4 visa within a day at the Korean Consulate. You just need to take your family registry 호적, birth certificate, and if you are a guy you have to have a document showing you RENOUNCED your Korean citizenship. This is very important or you will get hauled to the army.

Other than that it is very easy to renew every 2 years
Freakstar

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my F4 in my home country (US) and came here on a one-way ticket. Had no problems whatsoever. Since I arrived in Korea, I've been out of the country 8 times...your F4 is good for multiple re-entries too.
Toon Army

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

do we get taxed higher with the F-4? Read something on the forum recently about it
sharonblossom

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got my F-4 recently in my home country (US). Got it the very next day after submitting the application.

Had to provide a few different documents to renounce my citizenship first. They don't accept the hojuk anymore. They call them different things now even though it's pretty much the same information (a certificate of family relations, 가조광개증면서, and a certificate of basic, 기본증면서). As far as I know, you can only get these from registration offices in Korea. I got a relative of mine still there to get them and send it to me.

I don't know if it'll work for everyone, but I got around my dad having to renounce his citizenship too by saying he was going to take care of it in a different consulate office cause he lived out of state. It may not work, but if your parents are absolutely opposed to doing it, you might want to give it a try.
Baoh

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:00 am    Post subject: Accompany an F-4 Visa Holder Reply with quote

My wife and I want to move to Korea. She is eligible for an F-4 visa, but we don't know what visa, if any, I can get to accompany her. Does anyone here know of a visa I would be eligible to get if she has an F-4? Are there any that would allow me to work? Thanks in advance.
paulandamy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: How to Get an F-4 Visa Reply with quote

Alpha wrote:
I decided to write this because there seems to be some confusion as to how to go about getting an F-4 Visa, and not to mention because I ran around like a chicken without a head trying to get an F-4 Visa.

A. First, you need to obtain these documents, and must be at least 22 years old (American age) in order to apply for the F-4 Visa.

2 copies of your Naturalization/Citizenship certificate (if you don't have the certificate, go to the American embassy to fill out a form to obtain the number, and the date that you became a citizen. Type a simple letter stating the information, and if your name changed when you became a U.S citizen, state that you are the same person from the Family registry, e.g My korean name is xxxx, and my American name is xxxx, and I am the same person, and take it to American Citizen Service at the embassy to have it notarized. Need two copies. You can use this instead of the copies of the certificate if you don't have it)

Does anyone know if the office still accepts the letter from the embassy in place of the naturalization certificates?

Alpha wrote:

2 copies of your passport

2 copies of your family registry (if you were adopted, contact G.O.A.L, http://www.goal.or.kr/, they are a non-profit organization that aids adoptees, and will be able to tell you which adoption agency you went through, and give you their contact number to obtain copies of your family registry)

2 passport photos (you can get them at the subway photo booths, and will cost 5,000 won. The machines only take 1,000 wons, and will give six passport sized photos)

61,000 won

B. Second, take the documents, and go to Korean Immigration office in Seoul.
On the first floor, you will see information desk, ask to get a form in order to get a lost nationality certificate. Fill out the form, and go to the room on your left (from the entrance to the building), but before you go inside, take a number for lost nationality certificate from a small machine in front of the room.

Give the civil servant 1 copy of your Naturalization/Citizenship certificate, 1 copy of passport, 1 copy of your family registry, and the completed form. Then give c.s 1,000 won for a revenue stamp.

After receiving the lost nationality certificate, stop by the revenue stamp room on the same floor to buy 60,000 won in revenue stamps (right from the entrance of the building.) Go to the second floor, and turn right for Visa issuance room. Take a number for Visa, and fill out the two form to your left.

Give the civil servant 1 copy of your Naturalization/Citizenship certificate, 1 copy of passport, 1 copy of your family registry, the revenue stamps, 2 passport photos, lost nationality certificate, and two completed forms.

You should be able to pick up the F-4 Visa after five business days.

Disclaimer: This information is only up to date as of 8-19-2004. The required documents, procedures, regulations, and laws that govern acquiring an F-4 Visa may change, and you should contact the Immigration office, or Korean embassy if in U.S to find out the required documents, procedures, regulations, and laws governing the issuance of F-4 Visas.
juchangok

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the stupid question. I've looked, but I don't recalling seeing this info. Where and how do I get my parent's registry? i'm trying to get an f-4 visa, but I feel so lost.
machellebelle

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know if F-4 visa holders are still not required to have background checks?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10

Jump to: