Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anti-Non North American Teachers
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
textin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 2:55 am    Post subject: Anti-Non North American Teachers Reply with quote

Anyone else from Countries outside of North America had problems here with their teaching jobs?

I am quite interested to know what percentage of the "horror stories" are in relation to teachers from "other" Countries.

In my recent experiences (and my past experiences also actually), this issue has come up quite a lot.

My theory is that bad teachers from any region may get treated badly here, but even good teachers from outside North America can get treated badly.
Real Reality

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The country of origin (or nationality) matters very little. All foreigners may be subject to highly prejudicial and discriminatory practices. The degree of apparent discrimination may vary slightly.

Foreigners Experience Difficulties in Living in Korea
Overall living conditions, including education, housing, medical care, transportation, immigration, and access to the Internet are pointed to as inconveniences. Not only inconveniences caused by different systems and customs in Korea, but also special discriminating practices, such as the practice of submitting two years of monthly rent in advance like a deposit, which is required of foreigners just because they are foreigners, are ubiquitous. "Even though Korea has achieved some degree of globalization in going abroad, it has still a long way to go for globalization in embracing foreigners inward," said foreigners residing in Korea. An official in the International Cooperation Division of Seoul City admitted, "The same complaints regarding visas, transportation, education, and environment are raised every year without being solved, due to the lack of cooperation from government agencies involved and their passive attitudes."
http://english.donga.com/srv/service.php3?biid=2004070522448

A new ad for the Korea Tourism Office
Come see dynamic Korea: the country where all foreigners can learn about discrimination, nationalism, racism, and sexism.
mindmetoo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: Anti-Non North American Teachers Reply with quote

textin wrote:
Anyone else from Countries outside of North America had problems here with their teaching jobs?

I am quite interested to know what percentage of the "horror stories" are in relation to teachers from "other" Countries.

In my recent experiences (and my past experiences also actually), this issue has come up quite a lot.

My theory is that bad teachers from any region may get treated badly here, but even good teachers from outside North America can get treated badly.

Korean mothers have little to do at times other than micro manage every aspect of their child's life. Many mothers are very concerned about the accent their child is learning. To many Koreans the default english accent is the American TV and movie accent, hence the reason Canadians are very popular. Most Canadians sound like the midwestern accent.
textin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 6:47 am    Post subject: Thanks for the obvious Reply with quote

Yes I knew those things.....

But still, I am interested to know if Kiwi and Aussie teachers are being dicked around more in general.
Real Reality

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mindmetoo wrote,
"hence the reason Canadians are very popular. Most Canadians sound like the midwestern accent."

What is the exchange rate of Korean won to Canadian dollars?
What are jobs and salaries like in Canada?
Now, what is the exchange rate of Korean won to U.S. dollars?
What are jobs and salaries like in the U.S.?

Think money has anything to do with the preference for Canadians?
Ya-ta Boy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Real Reality,

Call me stupid if you want, but I don't see the relationship between exchange rates and a preference for Canadians. I see a relationship between the unemployment rate in Canada and the supply of Canadian teachers here in Korea. But a preference? I don't get it.

Please explain.
mindmetoo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya-ta Boy wrote:
Real Reality,

Call me stupid if you want, but I don't see the relationship between exchange rates and a preference for Canadians. I see a relationship between the unemployment rate in Canada and the supply of Canadian teachers here in Korea. But a preference? I don't get it.

Please explain.

A fan of supply side economics I suppose. Yeah RR is just going off on one of his little money tangents again.
textin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 5:13 pm    Post subject: the point Reply with quote

the point i think is that Korean would prefer Americans but cant get enough of them.
canadians are second choice due to accent...
kiwis and aussies just get dicked around.
crazylemongirl

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: the point Reply with quote

textin wrote:
the point i think is that Korean would prefer Americans but cant get enough of them.
kiwis and aussies just get *beep* around.

Not always.... I'm a kiwi but I got a canadian passport and adapted my accent very quickly to the point where only a native speaker that knows me very well will hear traces of the kiwi.

Kiwis who come here do need to modify the way they talk as they have a tendency to mumble and slur their words hence they to sound like they come from nu zilund. If they speak clearly and remember not to drop Rs and slur their words they should be fine.
Real Reality

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mindmetoo wrote,
"A fan of supply side economics I suppose. Yeah RR is just going off on one of his little money tangents again."

Question "little money tangents" Question

Do you want the "big money tangents?"

textin,
You may be correct.

"the point i think is that Korean would prefer Americans but cant get enough of them.
kiwis and aussies just get *beep* around."
Homer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RR, your link talks about Foreigners in general...not specifically about Foreign Teachers which is the topic of this thread.

Foreigners here include DDD workers and all other types of workers not just teachers.

While the 10-15 complaints a day is an interesting figure it concerns the entire Foreign population, not just teachers....

As for the exchange rate dog and pony show RR it floats as long as a concrete slab in a lake.

To the OP, interesting question. I wonder if the country of origin has an impact on how a teacher will be treated here.

My initial response would be to say that this is bollocks but I wonder if perhaps there is something to it.
hellofaniceguy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RR wrote:

It is far move advantageous for Canadians to work in the teaching field in korea than Americans given the exchange rate. What's 2.0 million Won? Over $2000.00 Canadian dollars vs the U.S. dollar which is way under 2 million Won.
So...a person from the U.S. needs to get around 2.5 a month and schools won't pay that when they can hire someone from South Africa, NZ, Canada, etc. who will work for cheaper wages.
I'm not insinuating anything so don't put words in my mouth...
but, until everyone stops agreeing to work for low wages, it won't change.
Teachers don't sign...schools have no FT's...no students!
I do know some teachers at hakwons who are pulling down 2.5 a month for 5 classes a day. And I know some university teachers getting 1.8 for also 5 classes a day!
You either have luck or you don't!
Ilsanman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 4:48 pm    Post subject: yes Reply with quote

hellofaniceguy wrote:
RR wrote:

It is far move advantageous for Canadians to work in the teaching field in korea than Americans given the exchange rate. What's 2.0 million Won? Over $2000.00 Canadian dollars vs the U.S. dollar which is way under 2 million Won.
So...a person from the U.S. needs to get around 2.5 a month and schools won't pay that when they can hire someone from South Africa, NZ, Canada, etc. who will work for cheaper wages.
I'm not insinuating anything so don't put words in my mouth...
but, until everyone stops agreeing to work for low wages, it won't change.
Teachers don't sign...schools have no FT's...no students!
I do know some teachers at hakwons who are pulling down 2.5 a month for 5 classes a day. And I know some university teachers getting 1.8 for also 5 classes a day!
You either have luck or you don't!

Have you taken into account different wages in the 2 countries? Or different cost of living, and tax, and many other factors?

I can not begin to understand your argument.
Homer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed Ilsanman....well put.
PECisDplace2B

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Real Reality and Hellofaniceguy are correct. Canadians are hired because their is an abundance of Canadians with B.A's with little to no job prospects at home besides working for min wage.

Secondly we need money fast to pay bills: OSAP and its ilk.

Thirdly I believe we can sometimes can be pushovers with good manners(fortunatly I don't think I fall into this category.) This is good for egotistical owners who like to believe we are serfs employed only for their profit, being happy with a decent job and food on our table.

I believe American's with Degrees have better paying job opportunities at home, especially if they come from reputable schools. American's I meet tell me they come here because working in a Hagwon is easier than their jobs back home.
They are usually the kind of people that will take a pay cut for more free time and to have fun in a different country.

Canadian's will continue to be well employed in this country until the Won bottoms out again. Then it'll probably be Philipino's and South African's who don't mind working for less, and can teach equally as well as we can, despite Korean's asinine accent, and racial phobias.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: